Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

LizzieMaine

Bartender
NBC's directories were issued on a monthly basis -- this one's for December 1943 -- and there are some hand corrections by the original user. Everybody's listed from Mr. Trammell on down to the mail boys and the "Protection Department," which was a lovely, blunt term for what today would be called "Security." All of the Protection Department staff, for some reason, have Polish, Irish, or Italian surnames.

Announcer Charles F. McCarthy no doubt hated for anyone to call him "Charlie," or to mock his wooden delivery.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
"The Caballero"s Way" (1907) a short story by O. Henry. I wanted to read the origins of the Cisco Kid. A rather despicable, vicious outlaw, and not the "Robin Hood" of the old west as depicted by Duncan Renaldo in the TV series.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Time to revisit old favorites for winter reading, so it's "David Copperfield," in a fine 1917 edition. I wanted to punch James Steerforth in the face the first time I read this book, just as a matter of principle, and the years have not dulled the impulse.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Time to revisit old favorites for winter reading, so it's "David Copperfield," in a fine 1917 edition...

Great Expectations await similar renewal and substitutes Penguin Books The Portable Victorian Reader,
a majestic collection of British scribes; including several samples of Dickens' Sketches by Boz.

skydog757

A-List Customer
King of the Corner by Loren D. Estleman. One of several novels Estleman sets in the city of Detroit (Whiskey River, Motown) during various time frames, this one occurs in 1990. Having lived in Detroit for about thirteen years I can tell you he gets all of his details spot on. I had read the two other novels mentioned above but I had not followed up on his other work. I found this book at a thrift shop and it was one of the best nickels that I have ever spent.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Joan Stanley-Baker's "Japanese Art" which is a history from prehistoric times to present day. Very interesting. It's from the Thames & Hudson World of Art series which is generally excellent. I used various books from the series doing my art history degrees and they're very readable whilst also being highly informative.

9780500204252.jpg

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I used various books from the series doing my art history degrees...

I envy your art studies background. I had a paper to write on The Temple by Hubert Robert while in college and did my research
at the Art Institute of Chicago, where I chanced upon El Greco's masterpiece The Assumption.
And I have been enthralled by art ever since. :)

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I envy your art studies background. I had a paper to write on The Temple by Hubert Robert while in college and did my research
at the Art Institute of Chicago, where I chanced upon El Greco's masterpiece The Assumption.
And I have been enthralled by art ever since. :)

El Greco eh? I had to write an essay on him back in the day ;)

I loved studying art history Harp and thoroughly enjoyed my 6 years at uni doing it. I've been lucky as it's allowed me to work in both the public and private art sectors, when I haven't been over at the "dark side" moonlighting in advertising and publishing.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
As I try to do each Christmas, Merry Christmas, Mr. Baxter, by Edward Streeter; from 1957. The Missus likes for me to read it aloud at the end of the day.
Up next: Christmas! by Peter Spier, followed by A Christmas Carol by you know who.

As I try to do each Christmas, Merry Christmas, Mr. Baxter, by Edward Streeter; from 1957. The Missus likes for me to read it aloud at the end of the day.
Up next: Christmas! by Peter Spier, followed by A Christmas Carol by you know who.

Thank you for the post. Because of it, I just ordered a copy of "Merry Christmas, Mr. Baxter" for my girlfriend.

Josephine Tey's A Daughter of Time is one of my favourites. It's basically an examination of the death of the princes in the Tower and the role of Richard III.

Based on your recommendation, I just finished "A Daughter of Time," and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has inspired me (today, time permitting) to read up a little bit on Richard III and the death of the two princes. Thank you - good read.

DNO

One Too Many
Based on your recommendation, I just finished "A Daughter of Time," and thoroughly enjoyed it. It has inspired me (today, time permitting) to read up a little bit on Richard III and the death of the two princes. Thank you - good read.

You're most welcome, sir. As I said, one of my favourites.

I was just boxing up some oldies for donation and came across a 1957 Penguin edition of Paul Brickhill's The Great Escape. It has such a terrific cover, I couldn't put it in the box, so I read it. A very interesting book, indeed.

You're most welcome, sir. As I said, one of my favourites.

I was just boxing up some oldies for donation and came across a 1957 Penguin edition of Paul Brickhill's The Great Escape. It has such a terrific cover, I couldn't put it in the box, so I read it. A very interesting book, indeed.

I've seen the movie several times, but never read the book. How does it compare to the movie (assuming you've seen the movie)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points