Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Harp said:
...the heart
Is like a cup athirst for wine of love....

John Boyle O'Reilly, Living
;)

Wine comes in at the mouth
And love comes in at the eye;
That's all we shall know for truth
Before we grow old and die.
I lift the glass to my mouth,
I look at, and I sigh. :)

W.B.Yeats

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
The Wounded and The Slain by Goodis. David Goodis is easily my favorite hardboiled writer. His books are so hard to get a hold of that I always buy one if I see one.

Earp

One of the Regulars
I just finished reading "The American Drive-in Theater" by Don & Susan Sanders. It really made me nostalgic for the old drive-ins. I'll be taking my son to one of the last remaining drive-ins in Michigan on Sunday so he can experience it before it's gone.

I just started reading the biography of one of my guitar/singer/songwriter heroes. It's called "Steve Goodman: Facing The Music" by Clay Eals.

Starius

Practically Family
I'm currently reading The Ladies of Grace Adieu by Susanna Clarke, which is a collection of short stories and a follow up to her novel Johnathon Strange & Mr. Norrell.

A neat aspect of this book is that it (the hardcover version anyways) was made to emulate a book from the early 1900's. At first glance, you might mistake it for an antique.

Sunny

One Too Many
In the last ten days I've read, near as I can recall,

The Case of the Half-Awakened Wife (Perry Mason)
Exile's Gate by C. J. Cherryh
A Mickey Spillane book (Mike Hammer) that was "eh"
Mystery Mile and Mr Campion and Others by Margery Allingham

And I've skimmed three or four books of miscellaneous science fiction, mostly short stories and novellas.

Now I'm back to reading Nero Wolfe, since I had two requested from me at PaperBackSwap and of course I can't send them off without I've read them first. :D

missmelly

One of the Regulars
I just read 'Coming Home' by Rosamunde Pilcher. It was a great book which takes place in England before/during/after WWII.

Enjoy!

.:Miss Melly:.;)

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Well I finished German Boy, good book, it is the story of a german kid at the end of WW2, and to top it all off it is all real.
Just picked up The Battered Bastards of Bastogne by George E. Koskimaki.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I'm in the middle of: Kickboxing Geishas; How Modern Japanese Women Are Changing Their Nation by Veronica Chambers.

And I'm looking through the Fashionable Clothing from the Sears Catalogs books; the mid 1940s, late 1940s and early 1950s.

I love my library!

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harp said:
Still searching for Germaine de Stael's Corinne, which has been
out of print for one hundred ninety-seven years, but I will find it. :)

I'm a lucky guy at finding things. I'll keep an eye out for it.

Earp

One of the Regulars
Harp said:
Still searching for Germaine de Stael's Corinne, which has been
out of print for one hundred ninety-seven years, but I will find it. :)

Go to Abebooks.com. They have dozens of paperback editions of this book for around $2.00. If you're looking for antique hardcover copies they have some of those as well. One from 1888 which was translated by Emily Baldwin and Paulina Driver and it's a three-quarter leather bound with marbled paper boards and matching endpapers, bookplate on front. Another hardcover copy is from 1854 and has good binding and generally great condition. These two were going for about $25.00. I'm sure there are more copies available -- these examples are just from the first page of results that I got.

Abebooks is great. I found copies of books from the early 1900's that I had been searching for for over 25 years. It's a book lovers paradise!

Have fun !!
--Wyatt--

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Earp said:
Go to Abebooks.com. They have dozens of paperback editions of this book for around $2.00. If you're looking for antique hardcover copies they have some of those as well. One from 1888 which was translated by Emily Baldwin and Paulina Driver and it's a three-quarter leather bound with marbled paper boards...
--Wyatt--

Much appreciate this info, Earp. Thanks. :)

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Harp said:
Quite an alliterative title, Airborne. :)
Yeah it is.
The other 2 books he wrote, D-Day with the Screaming Eagles and Hell's Highway are also good reads. The neat thing is the author is a vet of the 101st he asked the other vets to write down what they remember from the operations that the 101st was in. In all very interesting I reconmend getting them.

Sunny

One Too Many
Desmond Bagley books now. This week I've read The Spoilers, The Freedom Trap, and now I'm in the middle of The Tightrope Men. Has anyone else read his books? What did you think?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou