Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Sunny

One Too Many
Skylark of Valeron by 'Doc' Smith, currently. After not one but two false starts, I finally have the four books in order. I finished Skylark Three last night, and next is Skylark DuQuesne. Then it's back to Nero Wolfe: The Golden Spiders, in which Wolfe courageously risks Archie's neck like he's never risked it before. :D

Oh, and I also finished The Saint Meets the Tiger over the weekend, the very first Saint/Simon Templar book.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Paratrooper said:
Yeah it is.
The other 2 books he wrote, D-Day with the Screaming Eagles and Hell's Highway are also good reads. The neat thing is the author is a vet of the 101st he asked the other vets to write down what they remember from the operations that the 101st was in. In all very interesting I reconmend getting them.

The Eighty deuce seems relegated to the back shelf. :D

Dunno--it doesn't help that most of mine are about military officers, especially WWII generals in general and MacArthur & his subordinates in particular. (You've seen my references to my Masters thesis, right? And does actually writing one count toward this discussion?) The rest of my bio collection are generally pilots, astronauts, inventors and tech-guys.

Current read: William Breuer, MacArthur's Undercover War. Composite biography of the spies, saboteurs and other black-baggers of the Allied Intel Bureau under GHQ SWPA.

RIOT

Practically Family
Same with Doran. I believe the only fictional I had read in the past 10 years was World War Z by Max Brooks. Other than that it's all history and biographical for me.

Starius

Practically Family
I will occasionally read non-fiction for pleasure, often reference-ish. For example, Ive been reading a book on Art Nouveau off and on for awhile. Sometimes biographies, but I mostly read fictional material. I think my primary drive for reading is escapism.

I think the last biography I read was the autobiography "If Chins Could Kill: Confessions of a B Movie Actor" by Bruce Campbell. So even my biography material tends to be about people who deal with fiction...

Steve

Practically Family
Finished with Poe, (will look into other author mentioned in his vein,) am now currently reading:

- Secrets of the Samurai: A Survey of the Martial Arts of Feudal Japan, by Oscar Ratti and Adele Westbrook
- Karate: The Art of Empty-Hand Fighting, by Hidetaka Nishiyama and Richard C. Brown
- A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens
- George Washington's Spies, by Alexander Rose
- The Book of Five Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi
- Death in a Lonely Land, by Peter Hathaway Capstick

RedPop4

One Too Many
Brother Cadfael's Penance : The twentieth chronicle of Brother Cadfael and the Abby of St. Peter and St. Paul at Shrewsbury. It's the last of the Chronicles, with only a collection of three short stories, including "The Advnet of Brother Cadfael"

Then on to Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Fredo

New in Town
Recently finished the Harry Starks trilogy Long Firm, He Kills Coppers, and Truecrime by British novelist Jake Arnott. A great gangster series in the spirit of Jame Ellroy but set in early to mid-1960s London. Great Mod suit descriptions!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes