Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
Well finished the last book now it on to The Kalevala the epic of the Finnish People.
Well a translation. My finnish is not that good to be able to read.
This should keep me busy of abit.

RedPop4

One Too Many
I finished Deathly Hallows yesterday, my son is finishing as we speak. I'm about to restart it again, to catch things I missed.

I'm starting to reread Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone with my younger son.

Earp

One of the Regulars
I finished Deathly Hallows yesterday as well. I'm letting my daughter read it and then I will be reading it again at a more leisurely pace so I can enjoy every page. What a very satisfying and well-crafted ending for this series.

I read where during the first 24 hours following it's release the book was selling at a rate of 15 per second all around the world!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I must be the only one not reading Harry Potter!

At the moment I'm revisiting "Apparently Unharmed - Riders of the Cresta Run". Great look at the SMTC and all the madness that is the Cresta.

Edward

Bartender
Earp said:
I finished Deathly Hallows yesterday as well. I'm letting my daughter read it and then I will be reading it again at a more leisurely pace so I can enjoy every page. What a very satisfying and well-crafted ending for this series.

I read where during the first 24 hours following it's release the book was selling at a rate of 15 per second all around the world!

The guy in Waterstones on Oxford Street insisted JKR now has "more money than God." Appropritately, he was dressed as Mad Eye Moody - fab costume. If ever you go there, look out for the guy with one leg - total eccentric (I think genuinely so, though I'm sure it's partly hammed up), absolutely nuts. Great fun.

I'm so glad I gave in and preordered a second copy of the book there, rather than waiting for amazon - they were supposed to delvier Saturday, but it didn't arrive til Monday! I'd have gone mad by then..... I read it Saturday / Sunday, fantastic. I'd likely have finished it on Saturday, but ended up sleepnig much of the day - after the midnight launch, I and friends were locked out of my flat,:eusa_doh: so we spent the night in the stairwell reading the book, until morning when we were able to get my spare keys a friend across town keeps. One of the girls managed to finish the book in eight hours; I might have done if I'd not been so tired and concerned at my poor hospitality! But hey..... one day I'll look back at it and laugh. They all already do. [huh]

I'll probably reread the Potter series in a couple of years' time - I've reread all the books in the run up to the launch of both book six and seven, o it's all quite fresh in the head right now.

I'm now reading Christopher Moore's Lamb, subtitled "A novel, The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal." It's quite fun. As soon as I can retrive it from my folks' place in Ireland, I want to read Anne Rice's Prince of Egypt - I bought it for myself around Christmas but managed to leave it behind over there.

Sunny

One Too Many
Smithy said:
I must be the only one not reading Harry Potter!

At the moment I'm revisiting "Apparently Unharmed - Riders of the Cresta Run". Great look at the SMTC and all the madness that is the Cresta.
Not the only one. :) I'm currently reading Gate of Ivrel - rather a departure from my murder-mysteries. (I finished Allingham's Police at the Funeral yesterday.)

I also acknowledge defiantly that I adore fiction and that except for the Bible, it's nearly all I read these days. Not that I dislike other writing. I read an immense amount of other things in junior high and high school, particularly. But I only have time for relaxing/crashing reading at present, and I'm unrepentently going to choose my favorite stuff.

That said, I'm really going to have to make time to read Iron Coffins again.

Nashoba

One Too Many
Finished Harry Potter around 0330 this morning. I have a horrible habit of not being able to put books down. I bleary eyed as I might hae been by then I just couldn't go to sleep until I knew how it ended. So for 11 hours straight that's what I did yesterday. lol Then the dog woke me up at 0800 to go out :rage: did he know I was tired?!!???!!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
Hands up how many of you loungers appreciate fact, such as biographies instead of fiction! :)
I've been slogging through Winston Churchill's life for so long now that I'm starting to have boundary issues with his identity. I mainly read on the subway, and when the train is bouncing so violently I can't read, it slows me down even more. But I lose interest in novels. Reality is so much more amazing.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wait for the library book sale, then I can read at my leisure. The older the book, the better. Just finished The Rising of the Moon by Gladys Mitchell. "One of the dozen best crime novels that I know." - Edmund Crispin
c1945, First U.S. Edition 1984, a year after the authoress' death. Told in first-person by one of the young boys in the mystery. Loved it.
Now I'm reading, when I wake up in the middle of the night, The Virago Book of Ghost Stories. Hits the spot.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
I've been slogging through Winston Churchill's life for so long now that I'm starting to have boundary issues with his identity..

As far as I am concerned, that is the greatest experience one can have with a book!

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I started a most fascinating nonfiction book. It is called The World Without Us and is about just that: what would planet Earth be like if the human race just up and disappeared? Not if we poisoned the planet or blew it to kingdom come, but if we just were suddenly gone.

So far, in the first chapter, the author has written about our structures -- houses, barns, buildings, bridges, etc., how long they would last and what would happen to them over years, decades/centuries/millennia.

There will be discussions later on animals and trees and nature herself.

I am enjoying the book immensely so far.

karol

warbird

One Too Many
I'm reading Deathly Hallows late in the evening after I pry it from my wife. On my way home and back I am listening to Consent to Kill by Mitch Flynn. I have an hour to work and an hour back every day and I listen to books on cd.

I check them out from the library and can usually make it though a book and a half or two books a week depending on the length. These are all unabridged. I always feel cheated with abridged recordings and refuse to get them.

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I'm still waiting for my copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, since I ordered from the UK. Since the beginning of the summer I've reread the entire series, which only increased my excitement for the seventh book.

Right now I'm reading the Diary of Ana?Øs Nin, Volume 1.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I'm reading the Chinatown Death Cloud Peril at the moment. Still at the beginning of the book, it seems a little disjointed at the moment - but I expect/hope that it will change as I get further into the book.

And I never read a Harry Potter book!

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
I just finished "The Blonde in Lower Six plus 3 short novels" by Erle Stanley Gardner. I'm a huge Perry Mason fan, and never read any of his other non Mason novels before this one. I loved it, especially the descriptions of Olde San Francisco!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart