Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Just finished Warhorse, by Timothy Zahn.

Now reading The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club, by Dorothy Sayers. I'm trying to work through all her Lord Peter novels chronologically.

School is starting next week, though, so I'll be "et up" with assigned reading for a while.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HANSOLOJONES said:
Currently reading "Das Boot". I loved the film and wanted to read it's source material. So far it's outstanding!

Regards,
HSJ.

I didn't "get" that movie. Maybe I need to watch it again. Maybe my claustrophobia was acting up. Maybe I was feeling homophobic with all those men cooped up. I'm not sure. I liked the fact that it was told from the enemy's point of view. That was interesting. But I just didn't "get" it.

Sunny

One Too Many
Over the last week, mostly an orgy of 'Doc' Smith science fiction:

Triplanetary, First Lensman, Galactic Patrol, Gray Lensman, Second Stage Lensman

There are two more in the Lensman series, but I whooshed through these at such a pace that I decided to slow down a bit with a Nero Wolfe or four. Or, to be honest, I don't have the remaining two to hand. If I did, slowing down goes out the window. :eek:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
I didn't "get" that movie. Maybe I need to watch it again. Maybe my claustrophobia was acting up. Maybe I was feeling homophobic with all those men cooped up. I'm not sure. I liked the fact that it was told from the enemy's point of view. That was interesting. But I just didn't "get" it.

und du bist mit das boot Berkeley allus tag laft? Schon liebchen, schon. lol

Dr Doran

I looked at the Lensmen books 20 years ago but I don't remember if I read them.

Speaking of Science Fiction, I don't read much of it nowadays. But the things that I still carry with me from that genre are (in no order):

1. The short story "I have no mouth but I must scream" by Harlan Ellison

2. H G Wells' The Time Machine

3. Orwell's 1984

4. Bruce Sterling's Schismatrix (for the ideas, the images, and the historical development, not for his "skill" at putting sentences together)

5. Piers Anthony's Battle Circle trilogy (yes, he is a hack, and some of his writing [e.g Xanth] is about the worst I have ever seen outside of bodice ripper romance novels, but the first book was a real book, and the overall theme of the trilogy is interesting)

5. Larry Niven's Ringworld and Ringworld Engineers (see note on 4)

6. Ursula K LeGuin, particularly the gender-bender Left Hand of Darkness but in fact all the Ekumen books and also the anthropological future report Always Coming Home. A superb user of the English language.

7. GENE WOLFE'S BOOK OF THE NEW SUN. This actually had great writing, a quality whose general absence in the SF field (YES I AM A SNOB) caused my departure from it. In order they are The Shadow of the Torturer, The Claw of the Conciliator, The Sword of the Lictor, The Citadel of the Autarch, The Urth of the New Sun. About the goofiest titles imaginable, I agree, but these were quite remarkable and the images were vivid, the political background utterly believable, the sensuality realistic, the sense of duty of the protagonist compelling, and the religious aspects quite provocative. HAS ANYONE READ THESE? Anyone?

Dr Doran

Torpedo Berkeley?
I do it all the time, old bean.
Check out my myspace page for some anti-berkeley insults;

myspace.com/458BC

Or my feature "Naked Graduate School" on my blog:

blogspot.com/prokatalambano

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I am reading Orange Empire:California and the Fruits of Eden.

Book Description
This innovative history of California opens up new vistas on the interrelationship among culture, nature, and society by focusing on the state's signature export--the orange. From the 1870s onward, California oranges were packaged in crates bearing colorful images of an Edenic landscape. This book demystifies those lush images, revealing the orange as a manufactured product of the state's orange industry. Orange Empire brings together for the first time the full story of the orange industry--how growers, scientists, and workers transformed the natural and social landscape of California, turning it into a factory for the production of millions of oranges. That industry put up billboards in cities across the nation and placed enticing pictures of sun-kissed fruits into nearly every American's home. It convinced Americans that oranges could be consumed as embodiments of pure nature and talismans of good health. But, as this book shows, the tables were turned during the Great Depression when Upton Sinclair, Carey McWilliams, Dorothea Lange, and John Steinbeck made the Orange Empire into a symbol of what was wrong with America's relationship to nature.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn