Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Harp said:
A Cornell Law note, District of Columbia v Heller.
Talk about stealing Second. :)

I am so looking forward to that decision in June. Not just for the (probable) effect, but because it is such a chance for a fresh, direct look at a seldom directly addressed Constitutional area.

A real chance for a substantive addition to Con. Law texts.

Vintage Betty

It's only appropriate I follow LocktownDog, as I just finished his gifted book:

THE CASTING AWAY OF MRS LECKS AND MRS ALESHINE
1898, A.L. Burt
239pp
Illustrated
Hardcover

A very nice Victorian story with illustrations. The most amazing thing to me is that this story is still re-published today! Here's a quick summary, courtesy of the Encyclopedia Brittanica:
The Casting Away of Mrs. Lecks and Mrs. Aleshine (1886) told of two middle-aged women on a sea voyage to Japan who become castaways on a deserted island

I will be writing some more information about it over in my thread at some point, Vintage Betty's Book of the Week (ok, maybe it's not a week, but I try, really I do). And than I will be re-gifting it. Stay tuned.

I also just finished a great author, Illona Anderson, who writes fantasy. I thoroughly enjoyed Magic Bites and Magic Burns. I didn't read them in order as the second book was an impulse buy, but I'd recommend you do; the plot will make more sense. Basically, Atlanta has magic waves and Kate is a mercenary (merc) who has problems and answers she is searching for. My new favorite author. Very funny, very sarcastic. Very recommended.

kate1cover.jpg
kate2cover.jpg

Moby

Familiar Face
I am presently reading a mint copy of "The Warren Report" , which is the official report of the assassination of President Kennedy. I found it at a flea market for $2.00.
Very interesting. It goes into detail about Lee Harvey Oswald's actions before, during and after the shooting, the rifle and everthing you might want to know about this awful chapter in our history. It's also gives one an insight into the thinking and technologies of the 1960's.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I haven't could get started on The Satanic Verses, So I have grabbed a book with shortstories : Smoke and mirrors by Neil Gaiman

I have only read a few stories yet, but I really like his way of writing, somehow understated but you still get the chills or laugh a bit to yourself depending on the story. He takes known stories : old fairytales, Santa Claus etc and puts a brand new angle on the story and tells it from another point of view than we are used to from these stories.. conclusion = entertaining!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
I am so looking forward to that decision in June. Not just for the (probable) effect, but because it is such a chance for a fresh, direct look at a seldom directly addressed Constitutional area.

Heller offers the Roberts Court a philosophic standard; albeit limited
in scope, but sufficient for the moment. Stevens will probably write the dissent.

carebear

Harp said:
Wills is Catholic? ;)
(I caught a few of his lectures at Northwestern)

Ever read George Weigel?

I have not, but I will.

Read Wills "Why I am a Catholic".

He delves deeply into church history and the development of the Papacy.

Interesting study of a man balancing faith and reason and examining doctrine by looking at the evolution of the church.

carebear

Harp said:
Heller offers the Roberts Court a philosophic standard; albeit limited
in scope, but sufficient for the moment. Stevens will probably write the dissent.

The briefs throughout that case were fun reads, especially Heller's side. As a gun nut, looking at all the possible angles they could have used, they walked a fine and humorous line. They left the Court room to go as limited or broad as they choose.

DC's brief read as defensive, desperate and petulent from the get-go and they got their clocks cleaned at the hearing.

Though that may just be my bias showing.

Mojito

One Too Many
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Louise Brooks by Barry Paris. Pretty detailed work. One of the few existing biographies of my bobbed haired idol...
Love it. Great research, and a balanced portrait - Paris looks at the many, many facets of Brooks, both her admirable and less than admirable traits, and is as objective as possible with a figure who inspires such strong responses.

I imagine you also have the lovely coffee table book, Lulu Forever, Lulu-in-NY? The one I'd like to get is Portrait of an Anti-Star. Do you have it?

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Currently on:

Dracula
Letters from the Mary Rose
Tolkien's translation of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Sir Orfeo

I never read Dracula before, only about a quarter through. "Letters from the Mary Rose" is a large number of documents written on, pertaining to, or mentioning the Mary Rose and her raising and conservation.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
I imagine you also have the lovely coffee table book, Lulu Forever, Lulu-in-NY? The one I'd like to get is Portrait of an Anti-Star. Do you have it?
I do have Lulu Forever; it's a beautiful book. It occupies my coffee table at all times, right next to the Harold Lloyd book.
I do not have Portrait.... Seeing as how I work for B&N, there's no excuse why I don't; it's available on the OOP site. I'll have to pick it up.
I also was just informed of a book called The Invention of Morel; apparently, one of the stories in it is inspired by her, and is also the basis for the film Last Year at Marienbad. I'll probably pick that up as well.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
I have not, but I will.

Read Wills "Why I am a Catholic".
He delves deeply into church history and the development of the Papacy.
Interesting study of a man balancing faith and reason and examining doctrine by looking at the evolution of the church.

Jacques Maritain's The Peasant of The Garonne is a classic study
of the Church's emergence from the Constantinian era in the wake of
the Second Council, and remains most relevant and timeless.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Lulu-in-Ny said:
Louise Brooks by Barry Paris. Pretty detailed work. One of the few existing biographies of my bobbed haired idol...

Peter Cowie wrote a good book and compiled many great photos of Lulu in his book "Louise Brooks". If you haven't viewed it already, check it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy