Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Maguire

Practically Family
just started Plutarch's accounts of Sparta (called On Sparta and compiled by penguinbooks). I was dissappointed to find i'd already read most of this (most of it was taken from Plutarch's Parallel Lives) but its still a good read and half of it is new information.

zaika

One Too Many
i've been slogging through "motherless daughters" by hope edelmann.

well..not slogging...just slowly chewing my way through. lol

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
I've just started Fear and Trembling by Soren Kierkegaard
which is a little more serious than the Terry Pratchett which I have just finished.

but as a librarian I am constantly tempted by books calling to me to read them so what I read is an eclectic mix.

ADHD librarian

One of the Regulars
Charlie Noodles said:
Which book? I love Discworld. But the prices, as opposed to classic literature, have been putting me off lately.

Prices?
Sir I commend to you, your local Publc Library. A fine institution, street corner universities (if you will) where one is able to find a heady mix of the old and the new (sometimes mixed in with the smell of the homeless, depending on your neighbourhood).

No need to buy written words ever again!

And as for which Pratchett,
I didn't mention it because the name eludes me. It was the one where Vimes goes to Uberworld, the first one to have an Igor in it, the theft of the Scone of Stone, crowning of the low king...

But enough of this Popular Dross,

what do you think of Kierkegaard, why does no one ever read Kierkegaard?

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Shadows Over Baker Street. An odd collection of stories by various sci-fi writers. They combine Doyle's Sherlock Holmes with Lovecraft's Cthulhu mythos. Some of the tales are "okay" at best, but there are others that are truly unbelievably good. Book started off with a contribution by Neil Gaiman that completely threw me for a loop!

Richard

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I read, while on vacation, a book given to me by one of my dearest friends. It is called The Last Town on Earth, about a small town attempting to quarantine itself from the Spanish Flu.

Now, have started a book called Little, Big, which my friend also gave me and am also reading a nonfiction (?) book called Apocalypse 2012, which is about, well, you guessed it, the end of the world, supposed to occur on 12/21/12. I won't hold my breath...

karol

Caroline

One of the Regulars
KY Gentleman said:
I've been going back to the new Chris Farley bio at my local B&N.
Its an interesting read and can be both funny and tragic considering the subject matter. He was a very insecure fellow with a great comedic talent.
Oh I'll have to pick that up! I love Chris Farley but you can see a lot of his pain in the SNL performances. When his character interviews Paul McCartney, it's truely heartbreaking to watch.

Right now I'm reading The Collected Poems of Kenneth Rexroth. Poetry - Lord help me. I probably need a therapy 6-pk or something...

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
ADHD librarian said:
Prices?
Sir I commend to you, your local Publc Library. A fine institution, street corner universities (if you will) where one is able to find a heady mix of the old and the new (sometimes mixed in with the smell of the homeless, depending on your neighbourhood).

No need to buy written words ever again!

And as for which Pratchett,
I didn't mention it because the name eludes me. It was the one where Vimes goes to Uberworld, the first one to have an Igor in it, the theft of the Scone of Stone, crowning of the low king...

But enough of this Popular Dross,

what do you think of Kierkegaard, why does no one ever read Kierkegaard?

Dross? The supurb Pratchetts?

The book you are thinking of is called "The Fifth Elephant", and if you don't find at least 2 layers to each Pratchett novel, then you aren't getting full value. May I suggest "Going Postal" as a modern commentary on the corporate world?

Panache

A-List Customer
Elementary my dear Loungers...

I'm right in the middle of "The Complete Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" of course!

Every 4-5 or five years I feel the need to visit Baker Street once again.

DSC05257.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

John Boyer

A-List Customer
I just completed "The Shack" by William P. Young. This is a valuable and worthwhile read for those attempting to reconcile evil with an otherwise, predominantly, optimistic and compassionate worldview.; framed as fiction but, hands-down, a rather deep theological/philosophical read.

Today, I start "Oberon" by Christopher Wieland as translated by John Quincy Adams the 6th President of the USA; I am always intrigued by the intellectual depth and worldliness of these early historical figures.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Caroline said:
Oh I'll have to pick that up! I love Chris Farley but you can see a lot of his pain in the SNL performances. When his character interviews Paul McCartney, it's truely heartbreaking to watch.

The book is compiled of short paragraphs by people who knew him. The SNL cast members who worked with him agree it was tough to watch him when he was being so honest. Chris Rock has some great insights. Check it out...

BrewCrew

New in Town
I'm currently reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. It tells the stories of two men in WWII and, concurrently, the story of their descendents today. One of the men is a genius code-breaker, the other a tough-as-nails Marine. It's a hoot, Stephenson is at once brilliant, satirical, and irreverent. Quite a tome, though, 1200 pages, I would definitely recommend it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy