Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
A GOOD WOMAN, by Louis Bromfield, published in 1927.

4379136335_560412cc26.jpg

Rocketblast

One of the Regulars
I've just started 'World's End: A Memoir of a Blitz Childhood' by Donald James Wheal, which I love so far. I'm really interested in London history as well as Home Front WW2 so this is great.

Antje

One Too Many
I quit Dr Zhivago, I don't get trough,
I'm now already halfway girl with a pearl earing.
The story about dutch artist Johannes Vermeer and how his famous painting
became painted

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I recently finished Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage. Currently I'm re-reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, which is greatly entertaining. I have also started Henry James's The Europeans. A big project I just began is reading the complete Canterbury Tales in Middle English (Penguin edition). I had forgotten how funny Chaucer is! I haven't tackled The Canterbury Tales since college, and I am delighted to discover that my Middle English is still in good shape.

Since I only arrived in Korea to teach ESL a couple of months ago, I have not had a chance to ship my personal library (or my complete wardrobe) from the States yet, but I will be doing that soon. I have a number of other books in varying states of completion, including plenty of non-fiction, and the classic Chinese novel The Story of the Stone. I'm nearing the end of the first of five volumes, again in the Penguin edition.

I'm reading Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels and stories in publication order; I finished Some Buried Caesar not long ago. In the excellent Hard Case Crime paperback series, I read Donald Westlake's Memory mostly on the plane to Korea, and was blown away by it.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Slowly making my way through Count Not the Dead:

Description:

"Iron coffins", "grey wolves" and "steel sharks" - cast in images such as these, submarines are icons of Germany's maritime tradition. In books and films, submarines have been used to promote political goals and to justify and explain an intriguing and sometimes ambiguous past. This work explores the cult and culture surrounding one of the most mythologized weapons of war. Basing his study on some 250 German novels, memoirs, fictionalized histories, and films, Michael Hadley examines the popular image of the German submarine and weighs the values, purposes and perceptions of German writers and film makers. He considers the idea of the submarine as a war-winning weapon and the exploits of the "band of brothers" who made up the U-boat crews. He also describes perceptions of the German public about the role of the U-boat in the war effort and the hopes that it carried for a successful outcome in the war against England. The place of the U-boat weapon in Germany's propaganda machine is also defined and explained. In this book, Hadley explores the complex relationships between fact and fiction, political reality, and cultural myth, and draws conclusions about the way in which humans interpret their past and how present concerns change these views. -

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Patrick Murtha said:
I recently finished Somerset Maugham's Of Human Bondage. Currently I'm re-reading Bram Stoker's Dracula, which is greatly entertaining. I have also started Henry James's The Europeans. A big project I just began is reading the complete Canterbury Tales in Middle English (Penguin edition). I had forgotten how funny Chaucer is! I haven't tackled The Canterbury Tales since college, and I am delighted to discover that my Middle English is still in good shape.

Since I only arrived in Korea to teach ESL a couple of months ago, I have not had a chance to ship my personal library (or my complete wardrobe) from the States yet, but I will be doing that soon. I have a number of other books in varying states of completion, including plenty of non-fiction, and the classic Chinese novel The Story of the Stone. I'm nearing the end of the first of five volumes, again in the Penguin edition.

I'm reading Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels and stories in publication order; I finished Some Buried Caesar not long ago. In the excellent Hard Case Crime paperback series, I read Donald Westlake's Memory mostly on the plane to Korea, and was blown away by it.

Man, you are one voracious cat! :eek: :eusa_clap

RetroPat

Familiar Face
Recently finished "All That Remains" by Patricia Cornwell. Currently reading "A Monstrous Regiment of Women" by Laurie R. King.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner