Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Mugwump

One of the Regulars
Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintinence - it takes a couple of readings to understand it all (so sue me for not being too inclined to all that there book learnin') ;)

The Centurions' Shield: A History of the Los Angeles Police Department, Its Badges and Insignia
by Raymond H. Sherrard, Keith D. Bushey & Jacob A. Bushey
(Garden Grove, CA: RHS Enterprises, 1996)

hag

New in Town
I just read "Poodle Springs" started by Chandler and completed by Robert S. Parker after Chandlers's death. A good read and a better buy, 10 cents at the Salvation Army.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
One of the best biographies I've ever read.

Frank: The Voice
By James Kaplan

51drEPdl1-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Berlin

Practically Family
I am reading a book {It's called Machteloos? which means; helpless?} about the WW2. And it's quite interesting I can tell you.
It's about Dutch non-jews who are interviewed when they are old and who did nothing while the persecution of the Jews was going on.
The man taking the prologue kinda blamed them. And I'm not sure if you can. Netherland was in fear and they had no idea what was réally going on.

It's an interesting book...

dimples

New in Town
The Poisoner's Handbook by Deborah Blum. Murder, Jazz Age, New York AND it freaks my boyfriend out when I read it before preparing lunch. What more could you want?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I spotted this new novel by Laura Hillenbrand, author of Sea Biscuit. Waiting for my library to pick it up.

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption

51HWyzXYd0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

A couple of hundred pages into it, I don't know that I can finish it. The tale is SO ungodly harrowing it has made me jumpy and given me a belly ache. It's good stuff, but man... The subjects have endured more than anyone possibly can endure, and it's still 1942!

Cricket

Practically Family
Greatest Generation by Tom Brokaw.

I have really enjoyed this book so far. After hearing great reviews, I am not disappointed. It is stories divided into sections including Ordinary People; Homefront; Heroes; Women in Uniform and Out; Shame; Love, Marriage and Commitment; Famous People; and the Arena.

There are also great photographs with the over 50 stories.

I am in the second section so far, but am excited about the upcoming stories. My husband asked to borrow it next because he became interested with all the "did you know" reflections I share with them over breakfast.

Talbot

One Too Many
'Finest Hour' by Tim Clayton & Phil Craig.

Story of the Battle of Britain and events leading up. First hand on the ground accounts interspersed with a commentary of the politics between Churchill, Petain, Roosevelt, King, etc.

Very interesting perspectives I had not seen before. According to the book, Churchill did not expect Germany to invade and saw Operation Sea Lion as a bluff.

He did however propogate the view that the Island was under threat of invasion.

Feraud

Bartender
A couple of hundred pages into it, I don't know that I can finish it. The tale is SO ungodly harrowing it has made me jumpy and given me a belly ache. It's good stuff, but man... The subjects have endured more than anyone possibly can endure, and it's still 1942!
Just this morning I saw the new Hillenbrand book. It looks like a good read!

dimples

New in Town
Charminglane - be prepared to read it in one sitting. It is a great read although, as a historian, I wish she cited more of her sources.

Next book is The Group by Mary McCarthy. I will not be put off by the fact it is described as a precursor to Sex and the City - its 1930s New York and I want to love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo