Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Kaonashi

Familiar Face
Milllenium I... loved the movie (could´ve done with a few scenes taken off...)... hopefully it won´t be as bad as the Da Vinci Code (Which I read because everyone was talking about it too...)

Berlin

Practically Family
9780553574852.jpg

Cricket

Practically Family
After finishing The Greatest Generation this week, I decided to go back more in time with The Victorians by A.N. Wilson. I am only in the fifth chapter so far but I am very interested in this read. I am really learning about the horrible conditions of the workhouses, disease and other aspects that are sometimes overshadowed by the beauty, architecture, etc of that era.

I hope it keeps up along this pace because I am really excited about this being on my bookshelf.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorians-N-Wilson/dp/0393049744#_

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. She is an amazing writer, and Louie Zamperini is quite the guy.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand. She is an amazing writer, and Louie Zamperini is quite the guy.

I just finished this tonight. BRILLIANT story. Highly readable. I definitely recommend this one to everyone.

Foot by Foot Through the USA
by Winfield H. Line & Francis Raymond Line
(Irvine, CA: Wide Horizons Press, 1986)

In the summer of 1922 Winfield and Francis Line, two brothers from Howell, Michigan, set out on a year-long odyssey to hike the entire length and breadth of the United States and visit all 48 states in the Union. Based on the diary they kept of their journey and the letters they wrote to family and friends, Foot by Foot Through the USA tells the story their journey of discovery in a seemingly more innocent time. For thirteen months, dressed in surplus World War I uniforms, they walked and hitchhiked some 27,000 miles working odd jobs along the way -- including a three-month stint working in a silver mine in northern Idaho. I found this to be the most interesting part of the book with its vivid descriptions of mining operations.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Back to Andrea Nye's Philosophia, which examines the thought
of Rosa Luxembourg, Simone Weil, and Hannah Arendt, three philosophers
and their collective cast on the past century.

Nye, avowed feminist, has an axe to wield against all thought seemingly masculine;
however, the depth and elegance of her own perspective cannot be denied.
I am reminded of Derek Mahon's poem, Heraclitus on Rivers:

You will tell me that you have executed
A monument more lasting than bronze;
But even bronze is perishable....
All these things will pass away in time.

Truth is timeless; whether shown through masculine reason of antiquity,
or feminine thought of recent time. Still, the astigmatism and bias of Nye is as intriguing
as the depth and beautiful elegance of her thought.

dnjan

One Too Many
French Literature on the French Revolution?

I am currently re-reading A Tale of Two Cities, and was wondering if there is a good historical fiction piece about the French Revolution by a French author?

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I'm nearly finished The History of Jazz by Ted Gioia after over 3 months. It's not a terribly difficult book but I have the worst ADD and I have to keep checking Youtube to hear the songs!

Berlin

Practically Family
Summers with Marieliesel
And the funny thing on the book; was that in the middle of it there was an ansicht card with the picture that is also used on the cover.
I like such little extra's.
9789045800066.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner