Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I am currently re-reading A Tale of Two Cities, and was wondering if there is a good historical fiction piece about the French Revolution by a French author?

A good choice, classic. I haven't read it in years. I especially love Dickens ghost stories ('The Signal-Man' and such). I'm reading 'A Christmas Carol' currently and some of his short stories.
X
BD

cooncatbob

Practically Family
The Sociopath Next Door
By Martha Stout, PHD
4% of the US population (1 in 25) have no conscience and can do anything without feeling guilty.
I've had the misfortune of crossing paths with 3 of these individuals during my life.
I now know how to recognize and avoid these people.

dnjan

One Too Many
A good choice, classic. I haven't read it in years. I especially love Dickens ghost stories ('The Signal-Man' and such). I'm reading 'A Christmas Carol' currently and some of his short stories.
X
BD
Little Dorrit is probably my favourite Dickens book. I probably re-read that every 5 years or so. Haven't read The Signal Man - I'll have to look for it.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
... my favourite Dickens - I'll have to look for it.

A Visit to Newgate; from Sketches by Boz is compelling enough to suppose
Wilde read it prior to Reading Gaol.
Dickens' American Notes is a poor cousin to Tocqueville; although worthwhile in its own right.

A gentleman I always enjoy spending time with. :tea: :)

CharlieB

A-List Customer
I am a big fan of the TV series Castle, so my daughter got me one of the books supposedly written by character "Rick Castle" entitle Naked Heat. Not bad so far, but I haven't finished it yet.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Sociopath Next Door
By Martha Stout, PHD
4% of the US population (1 in 25) have no conscience and can do anything without feeling guilty.
I've had the misfortune of crossing paths with 3 of these individuals during my life.

Goodness. This sounds scary.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Most Sociopaths aren't Axe Murderers.
They could be the Man/Woman you get into a relationship with, who maxes out your credit cards then leaves you with the bills while they go find their next victim.

Of course. But it leads the door wide open for all kinds of bad behavior...

dimples

New in Town
Chaplin's Girl: The Life and Loves of Virginia Cherrill.

My glorious husband bought it for me for Christmas. I was so pleased because I thought he had picked up on my new chaplin obsession. Slightly disappointed when he told me it was just because "the woman on the front cover has hair like yours..."

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The Sociopath Next Door
By Martha Stout, PHD

By chance have you read The Gift of Fear (And Other Survival Signals that Protect Us From Violence) by Gavin De Becker? Very, very good - I would really recommend it - not just to women but men too....

Just arrived yesterday. My latest eBay find...

The Hurricane II Manual: The Official Air Publication for the Hurricane IIA, IIB, IIC, IID, IV, Sea Hurricane IIB and IIC, 1941-1945
by John Tanner (editor), Director, RAF Museum, Hendon
(New York: Hippocrene, 1976; London: Arms and Armour Press, 1976)

A reprint of the original RAF manuals for the Hurricane II series of fighter-bombers. A bit dryly presented even as far as aircraft manuals go but the drawings are quite superb typifying what I find to be the high standard of British technical illustration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran