Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Renault

One Too Many
To me Hunter was more sincere in his writing. And Bell was out to sell a book. JMHO!
There was an instance in Hunter when I felt that the author was alluding to Bell in one passage. I don't think it could have been anyone else. You got the impression that their phylosophies were a bit different..... LOL!

Both books are still in print thru the Safari Press.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
On Friday, I picked up Soldier from the War Returning: The Greatest Generation's Troubled Homecoming from World War II by Thomas Childers. I read it in one day - that's rare for me (the book has to be REALLY good). This book was such an eye-opener.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
On Friday, I picked up Soldier from the War Returning: The Greatest Generation's Troubled Homecoming from World War II by Thomas Childers. I read it in one day - that's rare for me (the book has to be REALLY good). This book was such an eye-opener.

I need to pick up a copy of that. Although the general public expected WWII servicemen--like veterans of other wars--to pretty much pick up where they left off, we know that quite a few could not. (Films like The Blue Dahlia and The Best Years of Our Lives touch upon this theme, but popular culture generally embraced the former theory.)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I just received a 1925 copy of Gentlemen Prefer Blondes which I've been wanting to read for years.

il_570xN_258428707.jpg

il_570xN_258428735.jpg

Inside it has a sticker which states "Property of Robert S. Cummings, The Chimneys, Ottawa Hills, Toledo, Ohio. I looked up the name and this came up:

http://www.historic-woodlawn.com/attic/cummings_r_s.html

I wonder if it's the same person?

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I need to pick up a copy of that. Although the general public expected WWII servicemen--like veterans of other wars--to pretty much pick up where they left off, we know that quite a few could not. (Films like The Blue Dahlia and The Best Years of Our Lives touch upon this theme, but popular culture generally embraced the former theory.)

You will not be disappointed. It reads like a novel which makes it that much better. It's a must read for anyone studying about WW2 (or really, the Golden Era!).

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I've started a biograph of Beatrix Potter:

http://www.amazon.com/Beatrix-Potter-Nature-Linda-Lear/dp/0312369344

I love reading her stories to my little girls, and this bio is amazing. I knew HBP was a great conservationist, farmer and artist, but had no idea she was a serious amateur mycologist (biologist studying fungi) who studied at Kew Garden, and worked on theories that proved to be correct and were only proven in the last thirty years. A LOT MORE to her than bunnies and hedgehogs!

davidraphael

Practically Family
Currently treading When we were Orphans by Kazuo Ishiguro

Set in Shanghai and England in the 1930s, I can highly recommend it for frequenters of this site.
when-we-were-orphans.jpg

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Antje

One Too Many
I just finished a compilation of short dutch fantasy story's I really liked it,
now I'm again reading in Gone with the Wind, I like to read it al year long and just pick it up when I like

Antje

One Too Many
I've started a biograph of Beatrix Potter:

http://www.amazon.com/Beatrix-Potter-Nature-Linda-Lear/dp/0312369344

I love reading her stories to my little girls, and this bio is amazing. I knew HBP was a great conservationist, farmer and artist, but had no idea she was a serious amateur mycologist (biologist studying fungi) who studied at Kew Garden, and worked on theories that proved to be correct and were only proven in the last thirty years. A LOT MORE to her than bunnies and hedgehogs!

It sounds interesting I receintly watched the movie Miss Potter about her live, I really loved it

Aristaeus

A-List Customer
The Black Dahlia Avenger.
By Steve Hodel.
Harper Paperbacks.
Revised edition
(July 25, 2006)

In 1947, California’s infamous Black Dahlia murder inspired the largest manhunt in Los Angeles history. Despite an unprecedented allocation of money and manpower, police investigators failed to identify the psychopath responsible for the sadistic murder and mutilation of beautiful twenty-two-year old Elizabeth Short. Decades later, former LAPD homicide detective turned private investigator Steve Hodel launched his own investigation into the grisly unsolved crime—and it led him to a shockingly unexpected perpetrator: Hodel’s own father.

http://www.stevehodel.com/

Vintage Rose

New in Town
There are so many good ideas for books to read here. I'm reading a book called We are at War compiled by Simon Garfield. It's some of the journal entries from Britain's mass observation project from just before the war was official until 1941. It's like opening a time capsule. I had to order it from amazon because I don't think it's printed in the states at all. It was shipped from the UK. I have another one by him called Our Hidden Lives which deals with more entries, but from after the war.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Back issue of The Standard-
"On Becoming G.K." by J.C. Chalberg.
Book review of William Oddie's Chesterton and the Romance of Orthodoxy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy