Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I haven't read Flashman in years. They were great fun. I'll have to revisit "Flash" again.

Fraser also wrote other books that poke fun at military life. I could relate to some of the characters.
The General Danced at Dawn (1970)
McAuslan in the Rough (1974)
The Sheikh and the Dustbin (1988)

Hi cw3pa, in this world of unconstrained political correctness Flash is a breath of fresh air ;)

DNO

One Too Many
"Flashman" the first of The Flashman Papers by George MacDonald Fraser.

Enjoying this immensely, Flashman is possibly the ultimate anti-hero, a cad, a frightful womaniser, coward, thief - a sort of less courageous and even less moral Lord Flashheart but just as funny and just as larger than life. So far very well written and historically very accurate. Good, guilty fun!

Flash Harry is great. Probably my all time favourite series of books. Mmmm...might be time to read Flashman and the Dragon again.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Thanks God I managed to finish the ordeal of Virgil Thomson autobiography.... it was all me me me I I I ..myself myself... what a pain in the eye.But I finished it.

Now a breath of fresh air ...with this book...the bio of Foujita...Japanese painter who lived in Paris in the 1920s.... I am liking what I am reading....but then...I love Foujita!!!! everybody in Paris then did too!

this is the book folks!

here is Foujita... he was a sweet and very talented painter

Avie

Banned
Hello... :) me just started reading "freedom from fear". Someone said me that it is quite interesting, so i started reading this.

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
'Black Lace Drag' by Ed Wood Jr (the director of 'Plan 9 From Outer Space' etc). I didn't realise he'd written books until I spotted it in a bookshop on Saturday. It's the story of a tranvestite hitman who crosses the mob and is forced to hide out with a travelling circus.
I've only just started it and it's safe to say Ed Wood isn't the world's greatest writer - but he has a genuine enthusiasm for his subject (or at least for his/her angora sweaters!)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia
:D

I tried to read that book but just couldn't get into it - I'm not sure if his works of fiction would be my thing. I read - and loved - his first autobiography My Dark Places but wasn't that fussed about his second The Hilliker Curse: My Pursuit of Women - it was too frantic read.

I tried to read that book but just couldn't get into it - I'm not sure if his works of fiction would be my thing. I read - and loved - his first autobiography My Dark Places but wasn't that fussed about his second The Hilliker Curse: My Pursuit of Women - it was too frantic read.

I read part of My Dark Places and enjoyed what I read. I am early in to Dahlia, but so far enjoy it. For me, his style takes some adjusting to, but once I do, it flows.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I read part of My Dark Places and enjoyed what I read. I am early in to Dahlia, but so far enjoy it. For me, his style takes some adjusting to, but once I do, it flows.

Maybe I picked it up at the wrong time - you know when sometimes a style of book just isn't right for reading at that particular time but at some other stage you might love it? That's probably what happened with me and The Black Dahlia - glad to hear you're enjoying it though!

I did see the movie version of BD and it was beyond terrible - so boring and disjointed - have you seen it by any chance?

Maybe I picked it up at the wrong time - you know when sometimes a style of book just isn't right for reading at that particular time but at some other stage you might love it? That's probably what happened with me and The Black Dahlia - glad to hear you're enjoying it though!

I did see the movie version of BD and it was beyond terrible - so boring and disjointed - have you seen it by any chance?

That is the reason that I haven't read more Ellroy, I have to be in the right frame of mind but when I am, I enjoy his stuff.
Saw the movie many years ago and although it wasn't that good, I didn't find it to be as bad as most seemed to have found it. I did/do think that L.A. Confidential was a good flick.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
That is the reason that I haven't read more Ellroy, I have to be in the right frame of mind but when I am, I enjoy his stuff.
Saw the movie many years ago and although it wasn't that good, I didn't find it to be as bad as most seemed to have found it. I did/do think that L.A. Confidential was a good flick.

I kind of had high hopes for the BD movie but was very disappointed with it. I agree with you that LA Confidential was a great movie - oddly enough I saw it in the cinema & didn't think much of it at all, then saw it a few years later on TV and really enjoyed it - perhaps it was again down to my frame of mind on the day!

Speaking of The Black Dahlia, I read Severed by John Gilmore not too long ago and found it fascinating - the description at the beginning of the boy looking at the car that was stationery with it's engine running which, as it turned out, may have contained Elizabeth Short's body gave me shivers - it still does when I think about it.

I kind of had high hopes for the BD movie but was very disappointed with it. I agree with you that LA Confidential was a great movie - oddly enough I saw it in the cinema & didn't think much of it at all, then saw it a few years later on TV and really enjoyed it - perhaps it was again down to my frame of mind on the day!

Speaking of The Black Dahlia, I read Severed by John Gilmore not too long ago and found it fascinating - the description at the beginning of the boy looking at the car that was stationery with it's engine running which, as it turned out, may have contained Elizabeth Short's body gave me shivers - it still does when I think about it.

I saw L.A. Confidential at a cool little theatre and thoroughly enjoyed it. I had high hopes for it and it didn't let me down. I was annoyed when The Titanic won the Oscar for Best Picture as I felt Confidential was light years better.

Severed, yet another book to look for and put on my list to one day hopefully soon read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner