Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Just finished rereading "Whose Body?" (1923) by Dorothy L. Sayers, which introduces Lord Peter Wimsey to the world, and the rest, as they say is history.

Last edited:

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Finished "1356" by Bernard Cornwell last night. It's about the battle of Poitiers during the 100 years war. Cornwell reuses Thomas of Hookton from the Grail Quest series as the protagonist.

wdw

One Too Many
"Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow. I came across Hamilton's name whilst reading about the history of Manhattan and whilst visiting there. Given his obvious importance to early US and financial history and the fact that his name surely meant Scottish ancestry, I had to learn more.

It turns out his mother's husband (Hamilton) was indeed Scottish, but she also had a "special friend" (English) who bore an uncanny likeness to Hamilton. Despite not being of the ideal lineage, he's undoubtedly a fascinating and very significant character and well worth the read.

Feraud

Bartender
I'm thrilled to have started The Lost One- A Life of Peter Lorre! This has been on my to-read list since it was released. I wish I could take a week off work to sit at home with my pup on my lap reading all day.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
"Alexander Hamilton" by Ron Chernow. I came across Hamilton's name whilst reading about the history of Manhattan and whilst visiting there. Given his obvious importance to early US and financial history and the fact that his name surely meant Scottish ancestry, I had to learn more.

... he's undoubtedly a fascinating and very significant character and well worth the read.

A curious post-Yorktown monarchical bias, and mercurial naivete singed Hamilton's otherwise pragmatic nature-
the latter perhaps most tragically accounts his fatal misperception of Aaron Burr.

Jon Meacham's Thomas Jefferson and The Art of Power offers Jefferson's candid assessment.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Am tackling Richard Grunberger's The 12-Year Reich: A Social History of Nazi Germany.

The way he writes is wonderful. Here's one of my favorite lines so far:

"...yet any account of humour in the Third Reich would be incomplete without instances of the wit that flourished within the ranks of the death's-head (SS) formations - the gallows-humour of men who combined the conscience of troglodytes with science."

Troglodytes! Hahaha! Love it.

WH1

Practically Family
The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival by John Vaillant

Fascinating book about the circumstances surrounding a tiger attack in Siberia by an Amur Tiger.

BigFitz

Practically Family
"In the Days of the Comet"- H.G. Wells, 1906
n2353.jpg

My interest in astronomy has been rekindled with predictions of Comet ISON's potential spectacular show this November, and I started looking for vintage sci fi books about comets. I just finished Jules Verne's "Off on a Comet".
913-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR