Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Revisiting T.D. Thornton's Not By A Long Shot, a chronicle of Suffolk Downs which closed its final race card last Saturday.
A jem in the canon of turf literature, NBALS captures the world of thoroughbred racing with an insider account of an aging
track caught on the ropes with Runyonesque characters, fabled steeds, and hard bitten betting folk who faithfully supported
Suffolk Downs through thick and thin. If you love thoroughbreds and the sport, Thornton's tale is a must read.
Suffolk Downs' closing is tragic, but its magical tale lives on.

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Just finished "The River War" (An Account of the Reconquest of the Sudan) the 1902 edition on Kindle by Winston S. Churchill. Churchill stresses the importance of logistics, after all an army marches on its stomach. Lacking are maps tracking the route of march which would have been helpful. I found it an insightful account of east meets west.

Revisiting T.D. Thornton's Not By A Long Shot, a chronicle of Suffolk Downs which closed its final race card last Saturday.
A jem in the canon of turf literature, NBALS captures the world of thoroughbred racing with an insider account of an aging
track caught on the ropes with Runyonesque characters, fabled steeds, and hard bitten betting folk who faithfully supported
Suffolk Downs through thick and thin. If you love thoroughbreds and the sport, Thornton's tale is a must read.
Suffolk Downs' closing is tragic, but its magical tale lives on.

My girlfriend and I get out to Belmont at least once a season and up to Saratoga for a long weekend every racing season as we enjoy the races, but also, there is something time-travel like to the event. You know the heyday of thoroughbred racing is past, but both of the these historic venues can, on the right day, catch a bit of their former glory. Also, the settings, the (as you said) Runyonesque characters in the crowd and even the rituals all harken back to the Golden Era. For Fedora Lounge members, it is one way to step back in time. I will add the book to my list - thank you.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I am reading still about the Tzar....from my last book I posted...what a book!

not the silly ebola Tzar of nowadays ....no......the real Tzar from Russia back in the day...

It's so amazing to me that the Tzar word comes up today...after 100 years and counting....

great book I recommend again "The flight of the Romanovs " by John Curtis Perry

to think that there are tzars and emperors today....wow:rolleyes:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"The Crack In The Picture Window," by journalist John Keats.

What Keats did to the chrome-crusted turquoise dinosaurs of the postwar auto industry in "The Insolent Chariots" he does here to the grid-streeted, pool-table-lawned housing developments of postwar suburbia, going after not just their stultifying sameness and the relentless way in which they were marketed, but also after their corrosive effect on the American soul. From the introduction:

"Even while you read this, whole square miles of identical boxes are spreading like gangrene throughout New England, across the Denver prairie, around Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington, New York, Miami—everywhere. In any one of these new neighborhoods, be it in Hartford or Philadelphia, you can be certain all other houses will be precisely like yours, inhabited by people whose age, income, number of children, problems, habits, conversation, dress, possessions and perhaps even blood type are also precisely like yours. In any one of these neighborhoods it is possible to make enemies of the folks next door with unbelievable speed. If you buy a small house, you are assured your children will leave you perhaps even sooner than they should, for at once they will learn never to associate home with pleasure. We offer here for your inspection facts relative to today's housing developments—developments conceived in error, nurtured by greed, corroding everything they touch. They destroy established cities and trade patterns, pose dangerous problems for the areas they invade, and actually drive mad myriads of housewives shut up in them."

Preach on, brother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner