Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
Corto said:
Snow Crash was awesome...

You know...I've heard rumors that Neal Stephenson and William Gibson are the same person...
Well, they do cover similar ideas and theories and both reside in the Northwest. ... At this point I just believe that Thomas Pynchon just writes every book that is decent and he has a whole staff to create new alter-egos.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky. I had a lot of trouble getting this book but I am enjoying it so far. I'm about halfway through Storm In June.

Socrets

Familiar Face
I've actually just started reading Hatless Jack by Neil Steinberg and I gotta admit hat history is kinda of interesting. Especially when it starts talking about hat laws.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Joshua Ferris, Then We Came to the End

I'm midway through this recent acclaimed novel, set in the advertising world during the layoff cycle around 7-8 years ago, and innovatively written in the first person singular ("we" did this and "we" did that). Despite the acclaim, I am uncertain as yet how much this amounts to as a novel. It has a manner, to be sure, a definite bag of tricks, but I'm already feeling that whatever point that manner can make has been made, and there are still 200 pages to go. The lapses in realism seem purposeless, the "characters" are cardboard, and there is no plotting to speak of, only observation. There are funny bits, to be sure, but those are not hard to come up with in depicting the business world.

zaika

One Too Many
working slowly through two. Blackbelly by Heather Sharfeddin. not sure how i feel about it yet, but she's a local author so i thought i'd give it a try.

and...The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. much love for Bulgakov.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Help a confused girl?

I just finished listening to The Postman Always Rings Twice. I own the book so I always insisted I'd read it but, I'm a dumb cluck, I hadn't. :eek:
Can anyone answer two questions?
1. What the heck does the title even mean?
2. What happened during the pool 'game'? I thought Frank was winning, with all his bank shots and English? Now, I'm naive about con games but I suspect the conman got conned? I was having a hard time figuring out who was talking, too.
I enjoyed the story, though.

Marlowe P.

One of the Regulars
The Motorcycle Diaries-
It has a sweet 1938 Norton in it that the boys keep crashing. It was a good movie but I was tired and got bored. Sorry Che maybe Raoul will keep my interest longer now.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Patrick Murtha said:
A rich subject, that. Some possible interpretations of the title here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_postman_always_rings_twice
Thanks, friend. I knew that a story about the title was in a preface somewhere but I didn't want to start looking through all of my books since I have about 5,000 and they're in no order.
Now I know how and why I called Fred Derry 'Frank' in another forum.
I'm reading Hornet Flight by Ken Follett on my breaks at work. It's good, as usual.
The Return of Dr. Fu-Manchu, written in 1916, is keeping me up nights. I like lurid.
Ashley

Highlander

A-List Customer
Right now, "The Life of Billy The Kid" by Pat Garrett, "The Divine Comedy" Dante, and struggling with Pike's "Morals and Dogma"

Steve

Copper

One of the Regulars
zaika said:
working slowly through two. Blackbelly by Heather Sharfeddin. not sure how i feel about it yet, but she's a local author so i thought i'd give it a try.

and...The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov. much love for Bulgakov.

I loved The Master and Margarita as well. It was a nice surprise to see you mention it here; It is not a book that comes up in conversation often.

I do regret that my Russian was never good enough to take in the originals of works like this.

MississippiLong

One of the Regulars
What I'm reading

I just finished Theodore Rex. Its a biography of Pres. Roosevelt while in office...4 stars. At the age of 40 he flung himself off a horse in mid-gallop onto a cougar and knifed it to death....sweet. also he was a keen politician.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo