Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Just finished reading "Weird Hikes" by Art Bernstein. Good book.

Just started reading "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Very good so far and frighteningly true today.

olive bleu

One Too Many
I have been reading a book written by a local professor about the history of the North End of halifax, which is where I live. It is one thing to read about places you have never visited and quite another to learn about the events that have shaped your community.

Two of the most remarkable events documented are thefamous Halifax Explosion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax_Explosion

and the the expropriation of Nova Scotia's Black people in the 60's:
http://www.dominionpaper.ca/canadian_news/2004/03/16/un_recomme.html

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
olive bleu said:
and the the expropriation of Nova Scotia's Black people in the 60's:
http://www.dominionpaper.ca/canadian_news/2004/03/16/un_recomme.html
This is interesting. I didn't know Black Americans fled the United States during the War of 1812. Who were they? Why did they flee? I want to look into that.

Just finished Hollywood Station by Joseph Wambaugh. I enjoyed it. Recently I read Crime Wave by James Ellroy and thought of this title, and lo and behold Wambaugh acknowledges Ellroy at the end of the book. When I was a youngster I snuck in and read 'the good parts' of my dad's copy of The New Centurions, learning a lot.
Now I'm reading Cards on the Table by Agatha Christie.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
thunderw21 said:
Just started reading "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley. Very good so far and frighteningly true today.

I remember stealing this from my dad's sci-fi bookshelf and reading it in elementary school!!:eek: Needless to say, I was pretty confused.

Went to a book signing for Band of Sisters: American Women at War in Iraq by Kirsten Homstedt. Two of my mom's friends were profiled and it turned into a bit of a girl's night out for everyone.

Kishtu

Practically Family
I was just thinking what a diabolical fribble I am not reading anything quite so meaningful as you all seem to be and then I saw that Locktown Dog is reading Hornblower.

So I'm reading Patrick O'Brian, from the beginning, again.

And STILL can not see Russell Crowe as Jack Aubrey.
(Having said that, my ginger kitten is called Aubrey, and his dark grey brother is called Maturin, so I guess I might be biased...)

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Kishtu said:
I was just thinking what a diabolical fribble I am not reading anything quite so meaningful as you all seem to be and then I saw that Locktown Dog is reading Hornblower.

So I'm reading Patrick O'Brian, from the beginning, again.

And STILL can not see Russell Crowe as Jack Aubrey.
(Having said that, my ginger kitten is called Aubrey, and his dark grey brother is called Maturin, so I guess I might be biased...)

Couldn't agree more! O'Brian deserves so much more than to have that boorish cretin play Aubrey. The rest of the casting was fine, but Crowe's demeanor just irritated me. Not at all what I've read into the character. Meanwhile I thought the A&E productions of the Hornblower films were cast pretty well with Ioan Gruffudd in the lead role. But that character was meant to start out young and a bit inexperienced. That was the point. Aubrey should have been cast as a more calculating and dynamic leader.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
JK Rowling's Harvard commencement address-passed around the office
this afternoon as a conversation piece, and I forgot to print out the Supremes'
latest:District of Columbia et al v Heller.

juanrayon

New in Town
Alan Furst's Blood of Victory

I have read about six of Alan Furst's books. They are generally set in continental Europe 1935-1942. They are carefully researched historical fiction. In the style of Eric Ambler, whom many consider the master of espionage thrillers, whose books are set closer to World War I.

Spiffy

A-List Customer
Teenage Boy Double-feature

Choke (Chuck Palahniuk), finally purchased after reading the first chapter about 6 times in the bookstore, and Watchmen (Alan Moore's graphic novel) because I was informed that I ABSOLUTELY had to read it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner