Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
I'm currently sucked into George R. R. Martin's third installment in the Song of Fire and Ice series, Storm of Swords.
I was somewhat reluctant to start reading his books, because the first chapter or two in the first book confused me some and didn't just slap all the info right in front of you...
But oh my, am I HOOKED. This is all I've read for the last month or so, I can't put them down.
Pity he STILL hasn't put out the fifth one :eusa_doh: (thankfully I have 1 1/2 more to keep me occupied...).
But if you enjoy epic high fantasy, this guys practically the new Tolkien.

I shall stop rambling now, I have a problem with that when talking about books...[huh]

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Harp said:
Viktor Frankl's Man's Search For Meaning is a remarkable work.

Tried Kampf in college, had planned a paper on Hitler's rise, but a prof
warned me that Kampf had limited academic research value and he was correct.
I found a US Army psychological study of AH; circa 1940-41 more helpful.

Thanks for the recomendations, and Kampf is a rediculous peice of work and it hows Hitler's limited education. As I read I honestly have to fight the urge not to edit the thing it's hard

Grant Fan

Practically Family
Marzipan said:
"War and Peace" - Tolstoy
That is one of my favorite works of non fiction. I strongly suggest reading other works by Tolstoy if you get the chance, he was a wonderful author.

Matthew Verge

New in Town
Incorporeal13, I read those books as a teenager, although I haven't picked up the newest one. They are the only thing "fantasy" on the market that is worth following. The character development and plot twists are great. No hack author, there.

Last week I read The Nine Tailors, Strong Poison, and Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers. Two days ago I read the Loch (forget the author). Today I've been reading a poetry anthology.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the Peter Whimsy novels by Sayers.

Incorporeal13

Familiar Face
Matthew Verge said:
Incorporeal13, I read those books as a teenager, although I haven't picked up the newest one. They are the only thing "fantasy" on the market that is worth following. The character development and plot twists are great. No hack author, there.

I have a really bad weakness for fantasy, and considering all the other books I read it's a strange combination. But with Martin I've been pretty amazed, it definitely isn't your run of the mill fantasy novel, and there are so many adult themes in his books that I was actually kind of surprised (in a good way). It may be one of the most skillfully written books I have ever read in the genre.
I'd definitely recommend checking out the rest of the series.
Word on the street is they're also making a tv show in the future.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Matthew Verge said:
...Last week I read The Nine Tailors, Strong Poison, and Gaudy Night by Dorothy Sayers. Two days ago I read the Loch (forget the author). Today I've been reading a poetry anthology.

I am looking forward to reading the rest of the Peter Whimsy novels by Sayers.

Dear Matthew,

I recently became introduced to Dorothy Sayers while reading C.S. Lewis' Miracles. Evidently Lewis, Tolkein and Sayers were relatively well acquainted. I have been considering Sayers' The Mind of the Maker (1941). Although I hear good things about her character Lord Peter Wimsey...

John

Levallois

Practically Family
Public Enemies by Burroughs last week and Baby Face Nelson by Nickel and Helmer this week. I'm looking for a cheap copy of the Alvin Karpis Story by Karpis and Trent next. Obviously, I've got this interest in 1930s gangsters that I can't seem to shake.

Matthew Verge

New in Town
Mr Boyer,

I cannot recommend Lord Peter Whimsy enough. You and him will become fast friends, I am sure, as he and I have! I regret that I did not begin them at the very first, but they were loaned by a good friend and she did not have them in order. I plan to start new, from the beginning. The Mind of the Maker is a theological work, isn't it? What did she contribute to Miracles?

This week, I read Dracula, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hide, and I am currently reading Pride and Prejudice.

Antje

One Too Many
I'm almost finished whit Rhett Butlers people of Donald Mc Caig,
it is like gone with the wind but then from Rhett's side

I started it a long time ago and didn't finish, but now after starting again I'm just keep reading

Mossyrock

One of the Regulars
carebear said:
A fun little romp by an internet acquaintance of mine called "Monster Hunter International".

Big guns and bad critters. :D

One of my favorite books of all time! :D Based upon this glimpse into the dark corners of his mind, Larry is ONE DISTURBED PUPPY!!! :eek: :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner