Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Exercise Programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissS

A-List Customer
pgoat said:
actually the tricep is bigger - but most people neglect it in favor of the biceps, so they get underdeveloped (see Mojito's post - people like to focus on the front/more visible parts). Dips are indeed great - I thinknk using your own bodyweight is terrific - I am trying to incorporate more dips/push ups, etc.

I'm surprised to hear you say women bulk up quickly - I always thought it would take a lot of heavy lifting for women to really build up their arms (or other bodyparts). I think high reps with light to moderate weights would be good for men or women to tone up the tris (eliminate the flappy thang).

pgoat, you are Mojita are probably right. Its only that I train at a gym where there are a lot of guys and gals who compete (no, not me!), therefore, most of us tend to do quite heavy weights.

Me, being a lightweight, stick to the 'lighter' weights, however, when I stop to think about it, these are probably still quite heavy for a lot of women. As a result, I can bulk up very quickly, however I can reduce this effect if I alternate 2 weeks of muscle building (high weights, low reps) with 2 weeks of muscle lengthening (low weights, high reps).

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
MissS said:
pgoat, you are Mojita are probably right. Its only that I train at a gym where there are a lot of guys and gals who compete (no, not me!), therefore, most of us tend to do quite heavy weights.

Me, being a lightweight, stick to the 'lighter' weights, however, when I stop to think about it, these are probably still quite heavy for a lot of women. As a result, I can bulk up very quickly, however I can reduce this effect if I alternate 2 weeks of muscle building (high weights, low reps) with 2 weeks of muscle lengthening (low weights, high reps).

I need you as my trainer/spotter .."come oooooon!! 2 more.. You can do it!!!"

MissS

A-List Customer
Darhling said:
I need you as my trainer/spotter .."come oooooon!! 2 more.. You can do it!!!"

Tis one of the only times I'm not a 'lady' - I guess the testosterone kicks in!
Come on over to Sydney and we'll work out. I'll introduce you to all the fabulous Scandenavian friends I have here!

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
MissS said:
Tis one of the only times I'm not a 'lady' - I guess the testosterone kicks in!
Come on over to Sydney and we'll work out. I'll introduce you to all the fabulous Scandenavian friends I have here!

Just don't slap my face to get my adrenaline running (I tried that once and it made me cry and sulk) everything else I can take ;)

oohh that would be so much fun, I am sure we would have a fab time!

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
I love to run...but only on a treadmill. This week I've signed on for a new workout class...pole dancing. I'm sure some would question if it's in good taste but it's supposed to be a great work outand if noting else my friends and I will get a good ab work out laughing at each other and ourselves!lol

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Ms. McGraw said:
I love to run...but only on a treadmill. This week I've signed on for a new workout class...pole dancing. I'm sure some would question if it's in good taste but it's supposed to be a great work outand if noting else my friends and I will get a good ab work out laughing at each other and ourselves!lol

It is great! one of my friends does it and she also says it is all in good taste, but you get a killer physique, you basicly hold your own weight with your arms or legs sometimes so that definitly gives you a great workout.

SGT Rocket

Practically Family
Mojito said:
With the running, are you doing a flat pace or working some intervals in there? If you want to improve time/distance, I'd mix it up. I gather you're doing 2 x 4 miles a week - is that at a steady pace? I'd do some speedwork (if you're not already - if you are, try some different combinations) - more intense intervals with recoveries and perhaps a few tempo runs. You'd have a decent base mileage built up, so perhaps at least one speed session a week and a long run on the weekend - take it beyond the 4 miles. Hill training is also good. Always keeping in mind the 10% rule - don't increase speed or distance by more than 10% a week. To really improve you need at least 3 sessions a week, preferably 4 or more. I do some plyometric workouts to complement my running training and also some specific exercises to counter my muscle imbalance, particularly weak glutes and VMO muscles (single legged squats, leg extensions etc).

Hi Mojito,

Yep, I'm just doing a flat pace on my four mile runs. Just trudging along.

Ok, so what if I bump my running up on another day (I'm doing it every other day right now, at least that's the plan. Sometimes life gets in the way). Maybe I could do a speed session on one of my days? Hmmmm, would I still have to run my four miles? I'm totally exhausted after my runs. What do you think about running two miles, instead of four, on one day. BUT, maybe on that day do sprints while I run. Maybe I could run, or trot, on that day and sprint between light poles? As I progress, I could probably try to sprint between two light poles, then after a few weeks go for sprints between three light poles.

You mentioned you do singel leg squats and leg extentions. Do you do thoes on a running day, or on a day that you are not running?

Maybe I should pick a day to do some leg work? I don't want to be of those guys in the gym that have great arms, chest, back, and shoulders; but, only have little--bitty bird legs. ;)

Hmmmmm. I may have to re-think my routine.

Mojito

One Too Many
Hi SlyGI -

It depends on what you're training for but yes...if you're doing higher intensity intervals in your training, decrease the overall mileage that day and build recoveries in. I'd be careful about introducing dedicated speedwork sessions in unless your base mileage is up to it...you may need to consult a coach. You may just want to increase your speed for short bursts on some of your runs.

There are so many types of interval to choose from it's hard to begin. One I like consists of doing 1600 metres, 1200 metres, 800 metres, 400 metres with 2 minute walking or slow jog recoveries in between. Another would be the a sort of A-B-A...start at point A and for a set period or time (say one or two minutes). Have a standing recover (1 - 2 minutes), then try to run back for the same time and overshoot A.

It depends on what you're training for. If you're aiming for, say, a 5 or 10 kms race I'd look into specific training programs. Otherwise, I'd play with speed. Run for a shorter period of time, but pick your pace up. It doesn't need to be regulated - "Fartleks" (or "speedplay") are a fun way of doing speedwork. Pick random distances - the next lightpole, the tree down the street, whatever - and run that distance and a faster pace that you can maintain for the distance. Then jog or even walk a recovery. If you're on a track, you can sprint the straits and use the curves as a recovery. It can be fun with a group of people as well - there are lots of group workouts. One is to run for a set period of time - the pack will thin out. Then, when the agreed time is hit, everyone turns to race back to the start point. The slower people will now be in front - their challenge is to keep their lead. The faster people will now be at the back, so they have to overtake the others.

Always warm up, btw, before doing a dedicated speed session. I follow Pat Carroll's method - 10 minutes slow jog, followed by light stretches and then do 6 sprints of 80 metres, starting at about 60 percent of maximum effort and then working up to near 100 %. Then I finish up the session with a 10 minute cool down jog. And allow yourself recovery time after a hard speedwork or hill session - don't schedule hard workouts on successive days. One session a week should be enough. And speedwork doesn't mean running flatout sprints - different sessions will call for different levels of effort. It's hard to cover it comprehensively in a post and I'm frankly not advanced enough to give you coaching advice ...have a look at sites like http://www.coolrunning.com/ and http://www.runnersworld.com/ for tips.

MissS, where in Sydney are you training? I below to FitnessFirst (although it's not ideal in every way) because they have so many gyms and I tend to pingpong around different locations...it's handy that they have so many gyms in town, one locally where I live, and one near my best mate's place! I can't be ladylike during a workout either, I'm afraid...I get a bit intense in my workout classes (Body Attack!), and when it comes to "glowing"...well, the word doesn't really cover the state I wind up in. I look like I've had a bucket of water dumped over my head. And then there's the bloodshot eye and flushed cheek thing going on. And the tried and true but oh-so-un-pretty workout gear.

MissS

A-List Customer
Hi Mojito

I'm at Gold's gym at the moment, but I've just found out they're closing soon, because Fitness First is muscling all the competition out. :mad:

I spend a lot of time downstairs in the free weight area with the boys, so I think the testosterone is catching, especially when someone tries to move in on MY bench!

Mojito

One Too Many
Fitness First is sort of the Aussie Gym "Wal Mart", isn't it! My brother nicknamed me a Pod Person when I first joined and had that ubiquitious backpack. He was sick of seeing them everywhere ("all the Pod People!"), and was firmly convinced that at some point the secret signal would be give, we'd all rip off our faces and take over the planet at the behest of our alien masters. Or something.

A little territoriality is necessary, I'm afraid - particularly when people have no concept of personal space. I know it's close quarters, but...! You have to be singleminded. Stake out your bench, get your weights, hold your ground and ignore grunting and unabashed stares.

And also ignore the people who are showing truly shocking form because they're lifting weights that are far, far too heavy! No one is impressed by someone doing three bicep curls that were only achieved by swinging the arms and getting moment up to do the lift.

MissS

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
Fitness First is sort of the Aussie Gym "Wal Mart", isn't it! My brother nicknamed me a Pod Person when I first joined and had that ubiquitious backpack. He was sick of seeing them everywhere ("all the Pod People!"), and was firmly convinced that at some point the secret signal would be give, we'd all rip off our faces and take over the planet at the behest of our alien masters. Or something.

Having had to find new gyms 3 times in 3 years, due to them closing because of FF opening in the area, it is now a Matter or Principle that I don't become a Pod Person, though I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to keep this up!

pgoat

One Too Many
MissS said:

You might just be someone with the propensity to build muscle mass more easily - I am not a doctor but I believe that has as much to do with fast vs. slow twitch muscle fibers as hormones.

Judging from your photos, if I may be so bold, you look very fit and healthy - I understand your concern (like many women) about not bulking up, but from where I sit, you'd have a hard time looking anything but extremely lovely and feminine, in those cool dresses or anything else, for that matter. I know lots of guys prefer skinny women but I'll take a vibrant & fit athletic gal over a Vicki's Secret scarecrow any day. I think I prefer the dancers of the silver screen (Ginger, Cyd Charise, etc.) to Audrey or Katherine Hepburn, and so forth (lovely as they are), for just that reason.

btw, I have never had trouble bulking up - I know guys who knock themselves out in the gym, desperately trying to add an inch here and there. I just lift and bam - mass. MY biggest problem has always been getting leaner. I can run and bike all day long, starve myself and I am still too darn big.....I'm only 5'8" so any more muscle mass and I look even more squat than I already am:( So I know those blues very well! Consequently I stick to relatively light weights and high reps.

Darhling said:
Just don't slap my face to get my adrenaline running (I tried that once and it made me cry and sulk) everything else I can take ;)

Uggh. Why would anybody resort to something so barbaric as slapping a pretty lady?

Personally, for getting the ol' adrenal-flow up, I find a nice IPSC run'n'gun does the job very well... kinda like a "Tactical Biathlon".lol (Oops, there's that T-word again...:eek: lol looks like I'd have a bright future as a Mall Ninja, if it weren't for the fact that the only black I wear is suits.lol)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
I have no idea what was in that steak I had this evening, but I had to use a lot more weight in my back series.. "one arm dumbell rowing" (name according to one of the Grotto-Guys) I had to almost double the weight I normally use 13 pound dumbell and had use a 'big-boy' dumbell with 23 pounds, I was so sure I was doing something wrong, but everything looked and felt fine.

I tried to the the dips as Miss S suggested, but I couldn't do even one (even with help holding my feet behind me knees!) :eek: sooo I'll try that one later on when I get stronger.

There wasnt really progress with the other muscles, but I have always had a strong back so maybe thats the reason for the progress there.

MissS

A-List Customer
Darhling said:
I have no idea what was in that steak I had this evening, but I had to use a lot more weight in my back series.. "one arm dumbell rowing" (name according to one of the Grotto-Guys) I had to almost double the weight I normally use 13 pound dumbell and had use a 'big-boy' dumbell with 23 pounds, I was so sure I was doing something wrong, but everything looked and felt fine.

I tried to the the dips as Miss S suggested, but I couldn't do even one (even with help holding my feet behind me knees!) :eek: sooo I'll try that one later on when I get stronger.

There wasnt really progress with the other muscles, but I have always had a strong back so maybe thats the reason for the progress there.

Not the red meat, Darhling, you're just getting stronger! Tis a side effect of working out. :p

Umh, dips are for triceps - lowering yourself up and down from a bench. Sounds like you attempted chin ups - for which I'm very proud of you! Took me while before I built up the strength for those, so keep working it girl!

MissS

A-List Customer
pgoat said:
You might just be someone with the propensity to build muscle mass more easily - I am not a doctor but I believe that has as much to do with fast vs. slow twitch muscle fibers as hormones.

Judging from your photos, if I may be so bold, you look very fit and healthy - I understand your concern (like many women) about not bulking up, but from where I sit, you'd have a hard time looking anything but extremely lovely and feminine, in those cool dresses or anything else, for that matter.

Awh, you're so sweet!

I think you're right re the bulk up, pgoat. I do try to take it easy, but when you're down there, it's hard to resist upping the weight, just cause you can!

Ouch, chin-ups. Only time I was ever able to do one, I had to get a running start and rely on inertia from the jump-shot to get over it... the Junior ROTC guys all thought it was funny as heck, seeing a fat guy (I was much "beamier" and even less toned then) hanging from the bar by chin and arms, gasping for breath--hey, that was a good ways up by my standards! They don't adjust the bar's height for Runtzillas like me, y'know...lol

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
so what do you all listen to when you exercise? I have my iPod with me, normally it is pretty bad music in the free weights room.. tell me your favorite playlist!

Since I need something that gives me energy, I need something loud and with attitude :)

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
MissS said:
Not the red meat, Darhling, you're just getting stronger! Tis a side effect of working out. :p

Umh, dips are for triceps - lowering yourself up and down from a bench. Sounds like you attempted chin ups - for which I'm very proud of you! Took me while before I built up the strength for those, so keep working it girl!

on a side note I have even dropped a few pounds, but i have begun notice some more defined muscletone in my tri & biceps.. I was so proud when I noticed it in the gym mirror lol

Well, for my usual workout, it'd be kinda hard to hear anything from an iPod with all the gunfire... which also gets the adrenaline up pretty quick. I suppose in a conventional gym, I'd probably use my combat-simulation "War Mix", almost all instrumentals but lots of heavy-bass stuff.

Seriously, you'd be surprised at what kinda workout shooting can be, if done the right way! Even more so if you're into the "shooting sports" like IDPA or IPSC, as opposed to just standing around putting holes in paper or knocking cans and bottles off a fence...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart