Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Exercise Programs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I started up regularly running about a year and a half ago, mainly due to trying to find a way to deal with grief.

Anyway, due to a busy class and work schedule, I am taking a gym class this semester so that I have a designated time period for exercise. I generally prefer to run three to four miles in rough thirty to forty minutes, and then lift weights to increase my upper body strength. I've determined that my arms and shoulders are really the weakest part of my body these days.

Exercise feels great though. It's good for keeping in shape, as well as keeping the mental body and the emotions in balance.

pgoat

One Too Many
BAZ said:
Yea, that's true of the F or V lines.
NOW!!!
In MY experience, I've alwys lumped Chest and TRICEPS together, and Back and BICEPS together. eg:
Bench press is chest with triceps, Dips are triceps with chest,
Pulldowns and rows also utilize biceps. If you do chins with palms facing you grip, you hit back and biceps!
If you do feel the strain the day after, that's good!! Shows you made the muscles actually WORK!
I'm an ecto-mesomorph, so I can pack on muscle size "fairly" easily, but I also hold fat, so It's really hard for me to get definition. I can feel my abs, but takes a lot to SEE them!!
Cool, thanks - now i recall it was indeed the other way I was told to group them (it's been a while!). I'm an endo-meso, btw. Tough for me to burn fat but I've always put mass on with little effort.

Nice to see lots of walkers here - Pres. Truman supposedly walked several miles every morning. And Lizzie has the right idea with the stairs. I briefly worked at a friend's apartment - top floor walk up and they had HIGH ceilings !! (an old warehouse building in Tribeca). I never knew how old the guy was - coulda been anywhere from 40 to 55 in my guesstimates. Turns out he is in his early 60s; walking up those stairs 3-4 times a day (or more, often laden with groceries, etc) really has kept him looking fantastic.

Sweet_Lorraine

New in Town
Biking 30-ish miles 4x/week plus some upper body. Will add in running as soon as it thaws out here. Currently training for a sprint triathlon this summer. Will see how it goes. :)

jayem

A-List Customer
Yoga ball and mat. 8 and 5 lb weights. Target my stomach, upper arms, and upper thighs. I invented my own exercises, so it'd be hard to explain exactly. I don't count reps, just quit when I'm tired.

Oh, and if it's close, I walk to my destinations. I also walk my dogs, frequently during the day in the mile long path in a woods nearby. At work, since I'm a vet tech, I never sit down. An average day, I run/walk about 10 miles (thank you, pedometer!).

marquise

Familiar Face
Currently, tramping up and down Manhattan in 20 degree wind-chill, and a pair of high-heeled Remix's. Also, if the apartment I look at tomorrow pans out, my future says: six flights of stairs! :eusa_doh:

B

BAZ

pgoat said:
Cool, thanks - now i recall it was indeed the other way I was told to group them (it's been a while!). I'm an endo-meso, btw. Tough for me to burn fat but I've always put mass on with little effort.

Nice to see lots of walkers here - Pres. Truman supposedly walked several miles every morning. And Lizzie has the right idea with the stairs. I briefly worked at a friend's apartment - top floor walk up and they had HIGH ceilings !! (an old warehouse building in Tribeca). I never knew how old the guy was - coulda been anywhere from 40 to 55 in my guesstimates. Turns out he is in his early 60s; walking up those stairs 3-4 times a day (or more, often laden with groceries, etc) really has kept him looking fantastic.

WHOOOOPS!!!
Yup, ENDO-mesomorphs, that's US!!!
Bulky "fat" guys!!
Ecto was my mate...................

Steve27752

One of the Regulars
Blimey! What do you do all that exercise for? I get up have a coffee or two, a bowl of porridge and go to work. While at work I have my dinner and a cup of coffee. When I get home I have a bottle of red wine while watching TV.
Then go to bed..............................................

pgoat

One Too Many
BAZ said:
WHOOOOPS!!!
Yup, ENDO-mesomorphs, that's US!!!
Bulky "fat" guys!!
Ecto was my mate...................

I had a feeling that was what what you meant from the rest of your description.

I am definitely too bulky for my height. I never do any weights for my legs, just cardio. I should probably do some now though....I never used to stretch either. Never needed to when I was younger. That certainly has changed!:rolleyes:

pgoat

One Too Many
Steve27752 said:
Blimey! What do you do all that exercise for? I get up have a coffee or two, a bowl of porridge and go to work. While at work I have my dinner and a cup of coffee. When I get home I have a bottle of red wine while watching TV.
Then go to bed..............................................

A BOTTLE of Wine?
Most reports on wine I've seen say a glass or two a day is very good for you. Dunno about a whole bottle, tho....

Sweet_Lorraine

New in Town
pgoat said:
Good luck, SL.

Wish I could swim....does anyone hold biathalons anymore?

Thanks, pgoat! Yes, there are still duathlons--in fact, if I don't get around to swimming (the thought of swimming in the area cesspools makes me a tad uneasy...lol), I may do the Music City Du-run-run---2 mile run, 10 mile bike, 2 mile run. Seems doable for a beginner like me!
My brother has done several triathlons and will be attempting the half-Ironman this summer. He's been my inspiration, as he is 45 years old and in such great shape.
I've had a lot of health problems over the last few years. Thankfully, I've been able to overcome them, and to be able to complete a tri or even a duathlon would be a great accomplishment for me personally. :)

pgoat

One Too Many
Good for you! I'm impressed.

That 2/10/2 sounds great! It will probably have extremely FAST finishers (sprinters). But a very nice beginner'e event due to the short distances - I'd even think about trying it!

One question I'd have is what is the course like? Dunno if you are more comfortable with either bike or running; I found when doing a lot of both years ago that while biking was easier overall, biking uphill was far more difficult than running uphill. Fwiw, make sure your bike is geared appropriately for the terrain. I am thinking that short of a bike leg might be hilly to make it more challenging. Then again it could be really flat, like a fast time trial - which looks easy but is also like a form of torture!:D

S

Samsa

I've just started doing an hour of Vinyasa yoga almost every day at a yoga studio nearby, sometimes twice a day. I've made a six-month commitment for their unlimited plan. When the weather starts to get warmer I'll add running to the mix.

Sweet_Lorraine

New in Town
It's a very flat, fast track, so I'm thinking it would be great for beginners. I don't think I'm ready for the hills yet. I've only been doing this for 3 months, and the event isn't until 6/15. Maybe I'll be ready for it by then!
Thank you for the advice! Always open for any help!! :)

pgoat said:
Good for you! I'm impressed.

That 2/10/2 sounds great! It will probably have extremely FAST finishers (sprinters). But a very nice beginner'e event due to the short distances - I'd even think about trying it!

One question I'd have is what is the course like? Dunno if you are more comfortable with either bike or running; I found when doing a lot of both years ago that while biking was easier overall, biking uphill was far more difficult than running uphill. Fwiw, make sure your bike is geared appropriately for the terrain. I am thinking that short of a bike leg might be hilly to make it more challenging. Then again it could be really flat, like a fast time trial - which looks easy but is also like a form of torture!:D

tonyper

Familiar Face
Cycling

Cycling, cycling, cycling, I can't take the impact of running anymore. Between my back, and knees forget it. I started out with a Hybrid Bike and am now riding a Roadbike. What a difference. Speed, Speed, need the speed. Use to hit the gym 5-6 days a week, but work prevents that. Hopefully with my new job I can get back into the gym. I have never felt better in my life than when I was working out alot, lean, cut, felt great, can't beat that feeling.

Tony

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I currently run 3miles, 3 days per week, adding 1/4 of a mile every other week. I've decided I need to start weights, so this week I'll add weights on my off days. Hubby has one of those complete weight machine thingys (circuit, maybe) that you see advertised in infomercials, so I assume it has everything I need. It came with a dvd, so I hope that explains how to change up for the different exercises.

tonyper

Familiar Face
Morphs

I am Lucky to be a Ectomorph, tall and thin. the most I would ever have to lose is 15#. Even so, we Ecto's get way out of shape and can feel it, not enjoyable. I have sympathy for the guys who need to drop some serious poundage. I know it is very, very difficult.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR