Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are Your Favorite Books To Reread? / How Many Times? / Why?

Harp

I'll Lock Up
That mystique is hard to pin down, is it the modern idea of man alone in a vast universe or is it a kind of negative pantheism? Even Heart of Darkness is open to these contrary interpretations - most people see it that Kurtz is corrupted somehow by the jungle and becomes barbaric, but it seems more likely that Conrad meant Kurtz corrupted the natives, given the activities of the Belgian rubber companies in the Congo that Roger Casement and others revealed, and which were largely the inspiration for Heart of Darkness. In Nostromo the character Decoud is stranded on a small island and, faced with the immensity of nature, kills himself. It's all very confusing but seems to keep Conrad popular.

Heart of Darkness is quite depressing, I cannot tolerate reading it. Conrad is great literature but he's a take or leave
author I chose to leave and let others sort it all out.

ChazfromCali

One of the Regulars
The only book / story I've reread lately is Mark Twain's The Innocents Abroad. I was lucky enough to buy both those Running Press editions in about 1981, the two huge paperbacks, still have them.

I have to 2nd (3rd) ;-) L.F. Celine. Have not read anything of his recently; and as mentioned I also have to be in the right mood. But that guy is hilariously funny. That Gallic sense of humor reminds me of my grandmother, (born in Paris).

I've noticed I'm doing a lot less reading than I used to do when I was younger. It seems like such a hassle now, my eyes get too tired etc. Need to get LASIK done. Reading helps me keep perspective on the insanity out there, it's a quality of life issue for me.

Tally ho! Ferguson!

Mediappy

New in Town
For me, there's something special about revisiting the world of Harry Potter. I've lost count of the number of times I've read the series, but each time feels like coming home. The magic, the friendships, the adventures – they never fail to captivate me, no matter how many times I've turned the pages.
Additionally, Emily Henry books have become another favorite for rereading. Her stories are filled with such warmth and depth, and revisiting them feels like reconnecting with old friends. Whether I'm in the mood for a cozy romance or a heartfelt narrative, her books always hit the spot.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21