Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your sunglasses of choice?

Peter Mackin

One Too Many
I’m still getting by without readers and I’m nearly 63,,I took my rose tints off when I went from Harley to triumph Lolololol ,,,you know I’m kidding big man :)

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
I am convinced it was the 100% switch to computer admin at work ( and every other effing place !) that tipped me over the edge vis a vis reading spectacles. Fixed focal length for hours on end being the problem..

I remember my Physics lecturer in 1978 tell us to sit near a window in the library , and every hour to lift our gaze from the textbooks and reference journals and look at a distant object on the far hills or similar for a coupls minutes. To save "eyesight training" for a fixed focal length.

So yer man sits at the windae' and spends an hour looking at the passing lassies and a few minutes at the books !

TRUE STORY I kid you not ! Nae scumputers then neither remember !

Leither

One of the Regulars
20170703_102849_HDR-01.jpeg

Only Oakley Fives with contact lenses. I'm a speccy lad so usually wear a baseball cap when there's sunshine on you know where...

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Aye but can ye' sing and dance but ?

My missus LOVED that movie and introduced all the wimmin in the Scottish diaspora here to it.

Quite liked it masel' , surprisingly at the time I thought !

Nice jaikit Leither and cool sunnies tae.

I'll be wearing my Eastman Luftwaffe to work today , 3C here ( Friday 6th) with frost locally at 6AM !

To be 29C on Monday , spring cometh too slow this year....

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I wore contacts for about a year in university, few time accidentally wore it then fell asleep only to wake up in the morning with eyelids welded shut by dried chalky tears, another time I wore it on bike under non wrap around shade then side wind blew it around my eyeball somehow hiding inside my eyesocket I can not/ dont dare to touch, I had to look to one side back and forth to fish it back where is reachable... that's it, never again

I have minus lenses and it doesn't get any worse over the years, just hope it will postpone the need of reading glass later in life.

Last edited:

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Aviators the old school look. I do have quite a number of variations in "the collection" including a pair of "General McArthurs".They are quite desirable amongst "sunglass cognoscenti". I have worn them out in the car but feel they don't suit my face. Or maybe I am just a dyed in the wool wraparound guy more likely.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Aviators the old school look. I do have quite a number of variations in "the collection" including a pair of "General McArthurs".They are quite desirable amongst "sunglass cognoscenti". I have worn them out in the car but feel they don't suit my face. Or maybe I am just a dyed in the wool wraparound guy more likely.
Hey G Man:
Since this is your thread and you’ve mentioned your Ray Ban collection i’d like to ask a question if i may.
Are you aware of any sunglasses that were or appear to be a prototype to the B&L Ray Ban aviators? Not just the glasses but the case being nearly identical in form and detail but both without any decipherable branding or inscriptions? They would be old as dirt i believe beginning around 1937.
Thanks. Bowen

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
Near-sightedness gets better with age for many (one of the few things that do, lol). I was -2.5, now at 61 I am -1.5. Good enough to wear non-prescription sunnies without walking into objects, beach, fishing, etc. I use Costas for that. Prescription Serengetis for driving.

Leither

One of the Regulars
I have an old Parker 51 fountain pen like MacArthur signed Peace in the Pacific with. Eisenhower and Hemingway wrote with them too.

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Hey G Man:
Since this is your thread and you’ve mentioned your Ray Ban collection i’d like to ask a question if i may.
Are you aware of any sunglasses that were or appear to be a prototype to the B&L Ray Ban aviators? Not just the glasses but the case being nearly identical in form and detail but both without any decipherable branding or inscriptions? They would be old as dirt i believe beginning around 1937.
Thanks. Bowen

Bowen mate, the oldest Bausch & Lomb sunglasses I have are WW2 issue so post 1937. Probably 1942 to 1945
They are in an Aluminium ( Aluminum !) flat hard case. The case is embossed Bausch & Lomb.
For sure there would have been prototypes before WW2
Now I have some troubles getting photos onto the forum.
I have to get my wife or daughter to photograph on their ipads and then email the photos to me on Hotmail.
I then have to save the photo to my computer and then upload as a file to the forum. Quite a palaver !!
If I try to add any photos direct the forum baulks and tells me the "file is too large".

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
EBF76F51-71D5-4F6F-83E4-C76546425066.jpeg
Bowen mate, the oldest Bausch & Lomb sunglasses I have are WW2 issue so post 1937. Probably 1942 to 1945
They are in an Aluminium ( Aluminum !) flat hard case. The case is embossed Bausch & Lomb.
For sure there would have been prototypes before WW2
Now I have some troubles getting photos onto the forum.
I have to get my wife or daughter to photograph on their ipads and then email the photos to me on Hotmail.
I then have to save the photo to my computer and then upload as a file to the forum. Quite a palaver !!
If I try to add any photos direct the forum baulks and tells me the "file is too large".
Hey Guy: i always got file to large and the pics were sideways when i first started here.
I got this free software and all was fixed. It’s easy to use. It gets adds with the free edition but for a couple bucks they go away. Well worth it.
The pic is of a Google search for the app.
If you need help with it let me know. I use an iphone only. I’ve never seen the lounge on anything else.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the response.
Bowen

01flhr

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of maui jims that i wear daily. I cant for the life of me remember the name. Maui jim has several fits for head shape and alot of options for lenses. I like the super thin glass because i was tired of my 200$ oakleys scratching with the poly lens. The lens quality of mauis is top notch too. You wont find better. I own persol glasses and theyre very nice, but man do i love my mauis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana