Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are your thoughts on US WINGS Jackets?

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Several years ago, 2006 to be specific, I bought a leather A-2 from http://www.uswings.com It seemed like a very nice leather jacket and the customer service was exceptional. I even got a free t-shirt and coffee mug thrown in for purchasing the jacket. This was long before I'd ever heard of Aero, Vanson, Alexander, etc., much less the different hides.

I ask this question because I never read about USWINGS on here. I just thought about it, actually. Have any of you had experience with them? I have since sold the jacket I purchased from them (because it was an accurate repro jacket with no hand-warmer pockets!), but I always thought I'd buy from them again. That was until I learned of Aero, ThurstonBros, and the like.

IMG_6625.jpg
IMG_6626.jpg
:eusa_clap

Deacon211

One Too Many
I bought one of their very basic ladies A-2s for the wife who isn't all that in to jackets.

I was surprised by how nice it was...pretty comparable to the modern issue G-1s at least, perhaps a shade less quality. But then again, this was only the "budget" line.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
The one I bought was their "middle of the road", but USA made version. It seemed very well put together. I'm thinking it may have been goatskin.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I bought one of their bargain Indy jackets once. It was okay, but it didn't fit me at all, so I gave it to a friend. He's worn it through five or six NYC winters now and it's held up well.

Their stuff is okay for the moderate prices, especially if you can wear generic S-M-L-XL sizing. (I can't.) They're identical in quality to Cockpit, Legendary, Schott, and all the other brand labels used for the single NJ factory from which these jackets originate. Not as good as Gibson & Barnes, much less the premium makers. They're functional and reasonably well made of decent materials, and they can be bargains when on sale, but nobody's gonna go gaga over them like the high-end products.

Recommended for gifts to your less knowledgeable/critical friends and family!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
My first or second A2 was a US Wings... decent mid to bottom tier jacets. You can try one of thier pricier modes in the $500 to $600 range but I never did. Jacket's still in the closet. I wear it occasionally.

Worf

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
I bought one of their bargain Indy jackets once. It was okay, but it didn't fit me at all, so I gave it to a friend. He's worn it through five or six NYC winters now and it's held up well.

Their stuff is okay for the moderate prices, especially if you can wear generic S-M-L-XL sizing. (I can't.) They're identical in quality to Cockpit, Legendary, Schott, and all the other brand labels used for the single NJ factory from which these jackets originate. Not as good as Gibson & Barnes, much less the premium makers. They're functional and reasonably well made of decent materials, and they can be bargains when on sale, but nobody's gonna go gaga over them like the high-end products.

Recommended for gifts to your less knowledgeable/critical friends and family!

Now that was a good opinion piece. Exactly what I was after. So the Aero Sheene I have ordered should impress my wife much more than the US Wings jacket did (because it didn't)? It's hard to spend big bucks on a jacket only to find that the only one who thinks it is great is the one who spent the money on it. It would be nice, for a change, to actually get a few compliments when a load of cash has been dropped on something nice. My wife's response to the US Wings was "um...it's okay". I just broke the news to the wife that I've ordered the Aero. She said "at that price it better massage you or something". Now the pressure is on :) I'm just tired of wearing the all too typical North Face, Marmot, Mountain Hardwear, etc. jackets around town. I feel so sheepish.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
tnjyoung - You have to get used to folks beyond the nutcases here being underwhelmed by your jackets (and hats, etc.) The vast majority cannot even see why we'd prefer one jacket over another, and think that the effort and money that we put into this stuff is just crazy. Occasionally you'll be able to explain to someone and they'll get it, but mostly you'll get a tolerant shrug at best. Most folks who haven't gone through the learning curve or leap of faith only evaluate in terms of price, style (in a broad sense, e.g., "it looks cool"), and acceptable (vs. correct and historically accurate) fit.

And actually, what I meant by my "less knowledgeable/critical friends and family" comment is that bargain US Wings (etc.) jackets make fine gifts for people who aren't really equipped to be concerned about the quality, accuracy, or sizing issues like us. Somebody who doesn't know about G&B, GW, Aero, Eastman, etc. would probably be thrilled to receive a USW A-2/G-1/Indy jacket as a gift, as long it fit them acceptably.

pak

One of the Regulars
I currently have a US made Signature series A2 in goat size 42. It is well made with good materials. Not particularily accurate, but a nice looking jacket. Buying it was problem free and no waiting. The fit in the shoulders is perfect but a bit baggy at the waist(a common complaint for most makes other than custom). This jacket was under 400 dollars. I also had one in horse which was a fine jacket but too heavy for my liking. This jacket is sized for me to allow for a sweater so as to extend seasonal wear. One caveat is I'm not too fussy on accuracy and this jacket is a reasonable representive example.

frussell

One Too Many
I had one of their VIP Steerhide Indy jackets a few years ago. I bought it because I liked the look of it, and it had no unnatural "distressing." Also, they had big boy sizes. I sold it later to fund a purchase of an Aero, but still find myself missing it now and then. It was a Schott-USA made jacket, very good workmanship, and extremely comfortable. I had no complaints with it, or their customer service, which was excellent. Frank.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Most US WIngs are made by Schott, some are made in Asia. Wings do a decent production line leather jacket but this site tends to be more excited by artisan made leathers of much higher quality, in terms of leather used, patterns and workmanship. You could argue that Wings are a couple of notches up from a mall jacket. That's not an attempt to run them down just a comparison. Comparing a Wings jacket to one by Goodwear or Aero is like comparing a Toyota Corolla to a Porsche 911.

Last edited:

Duck

Practically Family
My first A2 was a US Wings and I liked it. Trim fit, which I am not anymore, but the wife wears it some. I also have one of their Indy imports and I love that jacket, but it no longer fits. The curse of being an old fat man!
Both are in goat, and really nice leather.

DougC

Practically Family
I have a US Wings made-in-the-USA Indy in goat. I've had it worn it for three winters and I like it. I got the goat for durability and looks--thinner leather than cow and nearly the drape of lamb...but tough as an old goat! I'm happy with the jacket...but, I wish they were made in chest sizes rather than in generic sizes.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I have a US Wings made-in-the-USA Indy in goat. I've had it worn it for three winters and I like it. I got the goat for durability and looks--thinner leather than cow and nearly the drape of lamb...but tough as an old goat! I'm happy with the jacket...but, I wish they were made in chest sizes rather than in generic sizes.

Basically my biggest beef with them. But they're nice folks and fill their niche well.

Worf

kojax

Practically Family
i had a isue with them 5 years ago my jacket was shipped box ripped wide open jacket torn up alittle. my leather cond was lost. called them up did not want to hear it oh well

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
I remember when I first discovered them. Thought I'd stumbled on the last, and maybe only, maker of handmade leather jackets. I thought I'd found the 8th wonder of the world. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buick