Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What brim sizes are these...?

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
8a21070u.jpg

There have been a lot of posts on brim sizes through the years, but would you mind taking guesses as to the year and brim sizes left to right? (Acknowedgement to Dinerman archives for the pic)

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
A. 3 light colored hats to the right of the 10 sign, and to the left of the lady`s head....2", 2 1/4", 2 1/2"?

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
In my experience, brim widths and lapel widths were usually directly related to each other (wide brims with wide lapels). Since this is not the case in your picture, it would be before 1948 (the year I was born). Since there are so many draft age men in the photo, it would be before World War II (i.e. before 1941). Since the date of 1896 shows in the photograph, it is later than 1896. Since the prices shown are about as low as they can go, it is probably during the Great Depression. Ergo, 1929-1941. I would guess closer to 1929 than 1941. :)

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Depression era, plus relatively narrow brimmed but high crowned hats would make it early '30s perhaps? I recall a thread about high untapered crowns with narrow brims being around at the beginning of that decade.

Most of the brims look more than 2" but not more than 2 1/2". Perhaps around 2 1/4" for most of them?

daizawaguy said:
What did I do wrong!? :( :eek: :eek: Ah, now I know...too many questions...!

I have a few 30 era hats and some have 2 inch brims and medium height crowns. In fact my avatar is 30s Hückel with a 2 inch brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk