1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

What car to go with your flight jackets?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Big J, Feb 1, 2019.

1. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

Cornshucker77 likes this.
  2. ton312

ton312 I'll Lock Up

3. beckster

beckster New in Town

morgan-cover.jpg

4. beckster

beckster New in Town

like I said :)

5. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

I love a good boxy hatchback. Especially a VW.

Monitor likes this.
  6. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

If you had called me 21 years ago we might have done a deal, although white is not exactly silver.
    There's something about silver that lifts a car's appeal. Part of the attraction, to me, of my car is the two tone colour of red & cream, and the tiny coach stripe down the side sets off the colour perfectly, I love it. That is until I saw another in silver. The car wasn't sold with wire wheels, but fitting them in chrome, to a two tone silver and grey car is inspired.
    old photos 045.JPG mg-ya.jpg

7. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

@AbbaDatDeHat, yes! All vintage Jags are insanely cool! This I why I couldn't resist the red V12 convertible XJS! I dream (fantasize?) of cruising around on Sundays with my shades on and a foot wide grin. However, reality tells me that after my kids graduate college, get married, THEN I might be able to justify spending money on making it roadworthy. That's a definition of insanity right there; Jaguar electrical and mechanical reliability means this was kind of a dumb idea from the start. But damn, the car is pretty! It doesn't look like a sneaker and it doesn't have a big chunky black plastic steering wheel.

@GHT, yes, I'd love that, but with the temps and humidity here, I have to have aircon or I'm just going to rot in my own sweat.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  8. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

IMHO, the best suited car for a flight jacket is a 427 Shelby Cobra:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other appropriate flight jacket cars include:

Ford GT40:

[​IMG]

Corvette:

[​IMG]

Sunbeam Tiger:

[​IMG]

9. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

@Superfluous,
    Those are all very stylish rides for sure!
    I do love the look of Cobras. GT40 is about the car most likely to embarrass me when I try to drag myself out of it! It's so low! There wouldn't be anything cool about that. Hands and knees stuff.
    I guess if you're a fit young fighter pilot, you'd spryly hop in and out.

10. Raven2k360

Raven2k360 New in Town

Shit, you beat me to the Tiger...lol. Here's my Uncle's.

CRW_3026.jpg CRW_3048.jpg

11. navetsea

navetsea Call Me a Cab

flight jacket need open cockpit for sure, but lucky I don't really into flight jacket since cabriolet cars won't suit my climate and safety level of my country, I can foretell surprise showers incidents and uninvited passengers at the traffic light

12. Siggmund

Siggmund One of the Regulars

I'm thinking that maybe we ought to go with the best sports car made by our respective countries. Take your pick.
    Personally, irrespective of countries, Jaguar E-type is my overall fav, followed by the 427 Cobra, but the Irvin jacket cries out for an MG, doesn't it? For the larger fellow, crawling out of the low-slung job on hands and knees is out of the question, and he should elevate to a CJ-5. The first time I wore my Irvin it was in my '86 4Runner. Not bad, but not expensive.

13. N2S3

N2S3 New in Town

34211648-8F8F-45AF-8EAE-CC3C4EC2895F.jpeg I usually choose my 77 truck, much room for a bulky jacket.

14. Monitor

Monitor I'll Lock Up

I also wouldn't mind having this one. It'd go well with... Um... Cal CR. I think?

[​IMG]

AbbaDatDeHat and dudewuttheheck like this.
  15. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck One Too Many

The contradiction of that design with those steel wheels is amazing :D

16. Edward

Edward Bartender

Those three-wheeler Morgans are gorgeous - the original, too, as they predate their four-wheelers. What I love about the three-wheeler versions is that they call to mind a biplane, but also they aren't that far from a motorcycle either. I'd be curious to see one of these redeveloped as an electrically-drive couple version. I'm sure Morgan will do that eventually. Money no object, I'd have one of these, one of the base-model two-seater four wheelers (Plus 4?), and a four-seater in a coupe format for the Winter.

ton312 and dannyk like this.
  17. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

I had a '79 Rabbit back in the mid-'80s. It's basically the same car under the skin. That thing was so much fun.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  18. red devil

red devil One Too Many

When I see these red and cream cars, I think of this jacket that was posted here recently:

[​IMG]

19. Big J

Big J Call Me a Cab

@Monitor, that looks like some kind of steam punk bat mobile. Or the sort of car Sauron would drive. Love it.

20. Flightengineer

Flightengineer Practically Family

A few years ago I owned tuned silver PT Cruiser with painted Douglas DC-3 airbrushing for half car. When I parked usually it to my airline parking, all old pilots/veterans turned they heads and said - look at this beauty , that's a decent car for pilot :). Sadly I sold it to my good friend 4 years ago, sometimes I miss this car ...

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.