Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

rbbrock

Familiar Face
Last night: Illusione 2 (belicoso) - absolutely delicious! Very strong, rich flavors, though probably medium strength nicotine-wise, with perfect construction and burn. I smoked it quicker than would be ideal, and it barely heated up, never getting bitter or unpleasantly hot. Highly recommended.

(Also, if you like DPG Blacks, CI's Joe Cigar for today is a ten-pack of robustos for $32 with free shipping! :D I already bought mine. ;) )

indycop said:

Ok, ok. I just got a chance to respond. :p
The Nub Cameroon Torpedo. You lied to me. It was strong enough to make my scalp feel numb! Geez, I thought Culebras were strong! Well, the Nub Cameroon wasn't quite that strong but boy it packed a punch near the end. :eusa_doh:
It started off as more or less a cigar that I thought was going to be mild to full bodied. It has lots of leather and wood character right from the start. It really delivers right out the door. That didn't so much bother me but I detected some ashy coal taste underlying the wood. [huh] It did have a great draw, even burn and when smoked judiciously burned fairly warm---not hot. Then again, I am sort of from the Davidoff smoking style. I never keep even the largest cigar in my mouth any longer than it takes to draw a mouthful of smoke. So my burning hot or cold experience may be different than others who chomp the cigar while smoking it. Total mouth time for cigars is likely less than three minutes---unless my hands are full. ;) :p
The finish on the Nub was strong as all get out. It came across with wood and grain. The aroma this emits might not be good in mixed company either as Linc mentioned it smelled like a cigar, which was polite for him saying it stinks. ;) :p I really didn't notice as I was concetrating on smoking not smelling. :D
In short, I am glad I smoked this one last. The Habano torpedo has been the best so far. The Connecticut torpedo was fairly mild. I am not so hot on it because of it but it was definitely one of those mixed company cigars as it is likely the least offensive smelling cigar I have ever smoked. The Cameroon comes in second even though it had its drawbacks. I'll just be more prepared for it nextr time. :rolleyes: :D

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
Ok, ok. I just got a chance to respond. :p
The Nub Cameroon Torpedo. You lied to me. It was strong enough to make my scalp feel numb! Geez, I thought Culebras were strong! Well, the Nub Cameroon wasn't quite that strong but boy it packed a punch near the end. :eusa_doh:

The finish on the Nub was strong as all get out.
Strong? really? I would have thought the Habano would have been the strong one ...[huh] :eusa_doh: :D

Last night and the night before were two different Bolivars. Wednesday was the Bolivar Sonnets. This was really a surprise for me as I have had these for something like two years now. They aged well as far as I am concerned. I noticed right away, right from the humidor, that this was different than I remembered. The aroma of the cigar was fairly weak---much weaker than I remembered. So I got to smoking it. :D
Well, it delivered a sweetness from the wrapper first of all and a kind of chocolatey taste. It was quite pleasing. And, no, this wasn't a flavored cigar! :p The sweetness stayed with it as it further developed flowery and cedar flavors. This cigar has definitely mellowed with age as it is milder than it was two years ago when I first got them. A pleasant surprise. I guess age does make a difference. Maybe in twenty years I might have 1/2 of one left. ;) :p

CI-PUR-CHIN-400.jpg

Found a Chief. Looks like just my size. ;) :p

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
It wasn't strong to you?!
Which Cameroon did you try?
I had the torpedo, it was spongy and would not produce much smoke. But I don't remember it being really strong, just bad. I don't usually do well with strong cigars other than the (you know it) CAO Brazilia but the Italia I stay away from cos I consider it too strong to me.[huh] :eusa_doh:
They even told me when I got it , if you don't like strong then get the cameroon not the Habano!lol

indycop said:
I had the torpedo, it was spongy and would not produce much smoke. But I don't remember it being really strong, just bad. I don't usually do well with strong cigars other than the (you know it) CAO Brazilia but the Italia I stay away from cos I consider it too strong to me.[huh] :eusa_doh:
They even told me when I got it , if you don't like strong then get the cameroon not the Habano!lol

You would have been better off with the Habano or Connecticut. :p
It could have been described as spongy but I had no problem with the draw or producing plenty of smoke from mine. I wish it produced less smoke. It would have been milder. ;) :p
I'll try the other "models and see if they are the same but I expect they will be. Atlantic Cigar, where I got my sampler from describes the Cameroon as Medium bodied but they also describe the Connecticut as smooth and medium. It was extremely mild to say the least. :eusa_doh: Maybe your cigar shop didn't get the memo. ;) :p

RedPop4 said:
No it does not mean that. The company used to be called Puros Indios.
Puros Indios Becomes Reyes Family Cigars

Don Rolando Reyes "retired" and his grandson Carlos Diez became the President of the company. Carlos changed the name. I also interviewed Carlos around the same time.

I checked to see and yep, the Chief is still available. 18 inches of strong.:eek: Who is willing to try it with me? :p ;)
Reyes retired!? I have a hard time believing that. ;)

rbbrock

Familiar Face
I smoked an Oliva O robusto last night. It was decent, but probably not something I'll buy more of. Solidly medium, it had a decent spiciness, with some wood flavor and a hint of barnyard. The construction and burn were very good, but it started to burn pretty hot with about 1.5 inches left. I tried to let it rest a good long time between puffs a couple times, but it was still too hot, so I left it with 1.25-1.5 inches to go.

rbbrock said:
I smoked an Oliva O robusto last night. It was decent, but probably not something I'll buy more of. Solidly medium, it had a decent spiciness, with some wood flavor and a hint of barnyard. The construction and burn were very good, but it started to burn pretty hot with about 1.5 inches left. I tried to let it rest a good long time between puffs a couple times, but it was still too hot, so I left it with 1.25-1.5 inches to go.

1.25 to 1.5 inches?! Just let it go dude. ;) :p There is only so far you can smoke any cigar. They all burn hot at that particular distance from the end. :D That's why we invented the toothpick trick. ;) The smoke is still pretty hot at that point though.
Ok, I'll be the first to ask: what the heck is a hint of barnyard?! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL