Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

actually I know that for a lot of Americans Cuban cigars are off limit but the sheer choice of alternative cigars available to an American cigar smokers is truly amazing. In terms of price/quality ratio US market is unparalleled.

No question. There are some outstanding non-Cuban cigars out there, including many sold under existing Cubana labels. One has to wonder how that's going to work when the Cuban embargo is finally lifted.

No question. There are some outstanding non-Cuban cigars out there, including many sold under existing Cubana labels. One has to wonder how that's going to work when the Cuban embargo is finally lifted.

Worry not as General Cigar and the other cigar manufacturers here already own both the Cuban brand names and the American counterparts. It will take two seconds to simply lift the partition.
The problem will be the inability to supply Cuban Puros anymore as the Cuban tobacco will be blended to make it go long.....:eusa_doh::rolleyes:

It's already estimated that over half of the cigars sold in the world as "Cuban" today are counterfeits. That will only increase should a huge new market suddenly open up.

There are plenty of counterfeits that is for sure. Fortunately they are fairly easy to spot based on labels and construction. However, if that doesn't work then when you smoke them it will certainly tell you. :p
You are also forgetting that if you opened up our market---legally then the legal manufacturers would really nail counterfeiters. As it is now, who are you going to complain to? :p

maduro 5

A-List Customer
It's already estimated that over half of the cigars sold in the world as "Cuban" today are counterfeits. That will only increase should a huge new market suddenly open up.
In Dominican Republic virtually 100% of cigars sold on the island are counterfeits and it applies even to local labels since theoretically all cigars produced in the special economic zones are not allowed for sale locally. Mexico is another place that is really bad when it comes to counterfeits. Moral of the story, when travelling on vacation, bring your own.

In Dominican Republic virtually 100% of cigars sold on the island are counterfeits and it applies even to local labels since theoretically all cigars produced in the special economic zones are not allowed for sale locally. Mexico is another place that is really bad when it comes to counterfeits. Moral of the story, when travelling on vacation, bring your own.
Just go to the local La Casa del Habano and you will be fine. :D

HudsonHawk...
Now some smokers of Turkish meerschaums will be careful not to touch the bowl of the hot meerschaum pipe while smoking, fearing oils from the hand will affect how the pipe colors.

So pardon my dumb question...how do they handle the pipe while smoking? By the stem? I'm both a bowl handler and a clencher.

Oh, and last night...Savinelli Autograph with my own blend from the local shop. I call it "geologist" (I've seen blends labed things like "detective" and "accountant", so I figured why not my create my own dedictated to the world's noblest profession :) ).

Kid Mac

Practically Family
Some smokers, more concerned with coloring the pipe than enjoying the smoke, will not touch the pipe bowl when it is warm. They will, as you've suggested, hold the pipe by the stem. I've even seen photos of antique gloves that some smokers wore while smoking a meer!

Meerschaum pipes, Turkish meers, are coated with beeswax which aids with the coloring of the pipe. Some smokers worry that their fingers will remove some of the wax leaving a blotchy coloration. I think if one's hands are clean that this shouldn't be a problem. You can always apply more beeswax to the pipe.

Dry ashes,
Mac

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points