Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

I'm using chinese pipe Zobo and cheap Pöschl tobacco (currently Tilbury cherry cream for ca. $7) I can't recommend both of it. Looking forward to buy a real pipe and quality tobacco. Oh and using a lighter for a pipe requires practice, in my opinion, nothing beats good ol' matches! ;)

Yes, that is why I recommended cob pipes. They are reasonable and they smoke fine as far as I am concerned. Carter Hall is decent tobacco over here. It isn’t the best I have ever smoked but heck for $4 a pouch I won’t complain. :p
If you use a butane torch lighter you can easily light the pipe without burning it. :p

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
James, thank you for your reply. I took most of your advice but found a local store that had much of what I needed. I did buy a cheap cob pipe just to see if I like smoking since it was 4 bucks and from a respected cob maker (missouri). I bought Sir Walter Raleigh because many people say that it is cheap and good. Only thing I didn't get was a pipe tool.

James, thank you for your reply. I took most of your advice but found a local store that had much of what I needed. I did buy a cheap cob pipe just to see if I like smoking since it was 4 bucks and from a respected cob maker (missouri). I bought Sir Walter Raleigh because many people say that it is cheap and good. Only thing I didn't get was a pipe tool.

Nice! You did it even cheaper than I thought. Yes SWR is just fine for a beginning. No bite no mess.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Nice! You did it even cheaper than I thought. Yes SWR is just fine for a beginning. No bite no mess.
Ok! Just had my first pipe smoke and it was awesome! Only went out once so pretty proud of my packing for a first time lol. I tell ya it will be hard to stick by my 2 per week limit. I am not a smoker at all really. I smoke 2 cigars a week so I thought I would switch to pipes and let me tell ya I love it!

Giftmacher

One Too Many
Yes, that is why I recommended cob pipes. They are reasonable and they smoke fine as far as I am concerned. Carter Hall is decent tobacco over here. It isn’t the best I have ever smoked but heck for $4 a pouch I won’t complain. :p
If you use a butane torch lighter you can easily light the pipe without burning it. :p

Wow, the price is almost same as Zobo's .)) I'm ashamed to say that, but there's a pipes manufacturer 20 km from me (BPK Prosec), I don't have to buy chinese junk :)

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
ok, why is the image sideways?

20131226_204235.jpg

McClelland 3 Oaks in a Peterson Donegal

Ok! Just had my first pipe smoke and it was awesome! Only went out once so pretty proud of my packing for a first time lol. I tell ya it will be hard to stick by my 2 per week limit. I am not a smoker at all really. I smoke 2 cigars a week so I thought I would switch to pipes and let me tell ya I love it!

Smoking a pipe is a furtive exercise. If it goes out then fine. :p
A good pack is one of those things like opinions---everyone has their own. One guy says pack is tight the first third, medium the second third and lightly on the top. I think he calls it the man, woman and child pack. :p

I am glad you had a good first experience with pipe tobacco. Now I feel like going out to the summer house and packing one myself to smoke next to a nice fire and a good book. :D

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Interesting you mentioned the pack. I have been reading and the guy said his was the child, woman, man pack. Meaning you shake hands with a child (light) a lady(medium) and man (firm)

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Been reading a lot about pipe smoking. How often do you guys smoke a pipe? I know all tobacco use has risks but I always assumed my habit of 1 cigar or pipe now a week was really nothing too dangerous.

Been reading a lot about pipe smoking. How often do you guys smoke a pipe? I know all tobacco use has risks but I always assumed my habit of 1 cigar or pipe now a week was really nothing too dangerous.

You're right, all smoking carries risk. The science on one cigar or pipe bowl a week suggests the risk is minimal.

As for the pipe, I really enjoy smoking a pipe, but there's more to it than a cigar. You don't simply pick it up and light it. It's more of a ritual, and there's a certain relaxation to that, which is, after all, the point of smoking tobacco. Still, it requires preparation and maintenance, though both are minimal. For example, you need to "break in" most pipes, which means you can't smoke a full bowl for a while. Also, you have to let a pipe rest in between smokes, so most guys have multiple pipes. You have to clean them. Good pipes can be expensive, though they are a one time investment, and smoking tobacco is much cheaper than cigars.

All of that said, a pipe is very relaxing, has a much more pleasing room aroma to those around you, and gives off a cool vibe, if that kind of thing interests you. I typically smoke one to two bowls per week, and probably three or four cigars per week, sometimes a couple in a day, sometimes three or four days between. It just depends.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Hudson, that is exactly what drew me to a pipe. I have always loved the smell of pipe tobacco and I have found, though I have only smoked two bowls, that the ritual of packing is relaxing. I know this sounds silly but I love the pouches of tobacco, I use Sir Walter Raleigh and I love the smell and the old fashioned vibe that the pouch gives off.

Thanks Hudson, that is exactly what drew me to a pipe. I have always loved the smell of pipe tobacco and I have found, though I have only smoked two bowls, that the ritual of packing is relaxing. I know this sounds silly but I love the pouches of tobacco, I use Sir Walter Raleigh and I love the smell and the old fashioned vibe that the pouch gives off.

This brings up another point about pipes...some guys will not smoke different tobacco blends in the same pipe. They say it produces off flavors. I can certainly tell one blend from another, but subtle "off flavors"? I don't know. Maybe. Of course, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't spend time rating his cigars as "spicy" or "peppery" or "leathery with a hint of 10W30 in the finish". But your mileage may vary, so keep that in mind when you want to try different tobacco blends.

Also, if you like the pouch, I'd recommend getting a leather tobacco pouch to carry it in, whether you use the pre-pouched stuff or buy in bulk. It's a much more stylish look.

This brings up another point about pipes...some guys will not smoke different tobacco blends in the same pipe. They say it produces off flavors. I can certainly tell one blend from another, but subtle "off flavors"? I don't know. Maybe. Of course, I'm the kind of guy who doesn't spend time rating his cigars as "spicy" or "peppery" or "leathery with a hint of 10W30 in the finish". But your mileage may vary, so keep that in mind when you want to try different tobacco blends.

Also, if you like the pouch, I'd recommend getting a leather tobacco pouch to carry it in, whether you use the pre-pouched stuff or buy in bulk. It's a much more stylish look.

I think the off flavor thing was invented by pipe sellers to sell more pipes. :p However, I could see that with aromatic sticky blends. If you clean the pipe out well and let it rest, I doubt it would be much of a problem though.
A leather pouch would be nice to have. They can be pricy from places like Dunhill though. :p

I think the off flavor thing was invented by pipe sellers to sell more pipes. :p However, I could see that with aromatic sticky blends. If you clean the pipe out well and let it rest, I doubt it would be much of a problem though.
A leather pouch would be nice to have. They can be pricy from places like Dunhill though. :p

I have this one. It was about $30

jobeyrollup2.jpg

I have this one. It was about $30

View attachment 7769

Lambskin. Nice!
My wife actually bought me a Dunhill. One of these days I'll use it. :p I still use my father's old leather one with the leather pulls rotted off. :p I like it because it snaps open and stays open until you are done using it. The pouch has a metal snap unit in it that they don't make any more.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Ok I could not resist a visit to the only tobacconist in the tri-state area that I know of. THe smell of that place was awesome! I got two small bulk samples of what he said were his highest sellers. Super cheap BTW only 6 bucks total. I look forward to my last smoke of the week this weekend. The pipe I found at an antique shop for 5 bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24