Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I am smoking some wonderful McClellands 2015 that I bought back in November 2005 and stored in mason jars. The tobacco has aged so very well, becoming quite sweet and very flavorful. I am glad I bought a LOT of tobacco back then. I don't have to smoke any tobacco that has less than 7 years age on it. The pipe is a Savinelli that I got from Cup O' Joes that has become my my go to pipe lately.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
I am smoking some wonderful McClellands 2015 that I bought back in November 2005 and stored in mason jars. The tobacco has aged so very well, becoming quite sweet and very flavorful. I am glad I bought a LOT of tobacco back then. I don't have to smoke any tobacco that has less than 7 years age on it. The pipe is a Savinelli that I got from Cup O' Joes that has become my my go to pipe lately.

From what I think, that brand Savinelli, for the price, must be a very good overall brand pipe. My Husband loves his, and I am seeing other loungers here smoke them. Not the pricey pipe that other makers have, but then I guess maybe they have some that are also sky high price wise?

From what I can tell, a container that is totally air tight like a mason jar, you have to be careful about anything on the rubber seal if you store something long term in them. Good idea about using something like that as this one tin of Mc Barens tobacco I have purchased for my Husband is so large a diameter, it is not sealing back up very well, I need to find something to store it in so I think I will find a mason jar and do just that. Thanks for posting, you gave me a great way to fix a problem with storing the tobacco I may not have ever thought of.'

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

It is an attractive pipe, and I observe the eye balls on the face....details are fairly nice.

I love Savinelli pipes. I have probably 10 or 12, and they all smoke wonderfully. What's your go-to?

From what I think, that brand Savinelli, for the price, must be a very good overall brand pipe. My Husband loves his, and I am seeing other loungers here smoke them. Not the pricey pipe that other makers have, but then I guess maybe they have some that are also sky high price wise?

Savinelli makes a pretty broad range. You can get get them anywhere from $100 up to several thousand dollars. But most lines have pipes in the $100-$200 range. And they're VERY well made.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Savinelli makes a pretty broad range. You can get get them anywhere from $100 up to several thousand dollars. But most lines have pipes in the $100-$200 range. And they're VERY well made.

Yes. From what my Husband said, a pipe that does not give a "bitter bite" when you are first breaking a new pipe in, shows it was made rather well. Not that some other great pipes would not have a bite when new, but all the same a good pipe is a good pipe. He had not smoked a pipe for maybe 40 years or more? But wanted to go back to smoking one. I could only find a few that I knew for sure would be something he would go for, and the one I have for him he really likes. This indian pipe I am thinking should be a good pipe as well.

In looking online, wow, pipes and pipes for sale. You could go blind looking at them. Why however is a pipe expensive? Is it the name of someone making it that demands a higher price, materials, most pipes I see that are about $100-200 price seem to be made as nicely as a few that I did notice had a sky high price tag. Please tell me what makes the price be so much?
Thanks!!!

In looking online, wow, pipes and pipes for sale. You could go blind looking at them. Why however is a pipe expensive? Is it the name of someone making it that demands a higher price, materials, most pipes I see that are about $100-200 price seem to be made as nicely as a few that I did notice had a sky high price tag. Please tell me what makes the price be so much?
Thanks!!!

Like anything, the quality of the finished product comes down to the quality of the raw material and the craftsmanship. In general, the difference between a $30 pipe and a $130 pipe is huge. The difference in a $130 pipe and a $600 pipe?....eh, it's a bit of a grey area. Again speaking generally (for there are really good cheap pipes such as corncobs that provide a very nice smoke for $10)...more expensive pipes from more name makers are going to be made from better material. Briar pipes, for example will be from better quality, better aged wood. The better quality meerschaum would be carved from a solid block rather than being press-formed from meerschaum powder. The stems on higher end pipes will be made from better material. There will be more attention to the internals, such as the location and angle of the bore in the bowl...things which definitely affect the draw, the temperature, the quality of the smoke, etc. Then there is the aesthetic appeal of the pipe, and what you pay for the look of the straight grain, the way it's carved, the finish. If you're buying for someone else, it's hard to say whether or not they'll like the pipe. To me, a pipe is like a hat...a very personal choice, and what may fit me may not fit your husband. But again...in general...aside from the personal preference issues, a $100-$200 pipe from a reputable maker should be of good quality and provide many years of faithful smoking pleasure.

If you're looking for quality pipes without paying an arm and a leg retail, you can also look into pre-owned pipes, which are referred to as "estate" pipes. A quality estate pipe from a reputable dealer/seller can be an outstanding bargain. Several of my Savinelli Autographs are estate pipes, and I love them. Just another option.

Last edited:
It is an attractive pipe, and I observe the eye balls on the face....details are fairly nice.

Yes, you have two figural meerschaum pipes there. They look like decent pipes. The second one looks like Mark Twain with a chef’s hat on. :p Mine is actually a Turk with a turban on. It has been around a while. I have a few others but that one comes to mind easiest. :D

stevew443

One of the Regulars

From what I can tell, a container that is totally air tight like a mason jar, you have to be careful about anything on the rubber seal if you store something long term in them. Good idea about using something like that as this one tin of Mc Barens tobacco I have purchased for my Husband is so large a diameter, it is not sealing back up very well, I need to find something to store it in so I think I will find a mason jar and do just that. Thanks for posting, you gave me a great way to fix a problem with storing the tobacco I may not have ever thought of.'

The pipe is quite nice and it smokes very well. My other go to pipe is a Sav Bing's Favorite.

About the stored tobacco, I bought it in 5 pound bags back in the early 2000's and stored it all in mason jars. I have yet to find a bad jar. At one point I had about 150 pounds of it stored, but giving away a lot and normal smoking has dropped my stash down to about the 100 pound range. Unfortunately I am unable to purchase any new tobacco, except for the occasion tin of Escudo that I like to keep handy.

stevew443

One of the Regulars
I love Savinelli pipes. I have probably 10 or 12, and they all smoke wonderfully. What's your go-to?

My go to pipes have always been Savinelli or Tinsky's. It is unfortunate that I sold almost all of my pipes back in 2012 when doctors told me to never smoke again. After a month in the hospital I believed what they said and sold my pipes and got rid of way too much aged tobacco. Now I just have a couple of Savs left (the Cup O' Joes and a Bing's Favorite) and several basket pipes that I could not sell. I have been smoking a pipe for almost 45 years and it was very difficult to see that collection disappear, but it is done now and there are no regrets, although I do miss those hand made pipes which were the first offerings of several well known carvers.

stevew443

One of the Regulars

Some of the best meers I ever smoked came from Altinok pipes. Their prices (at least when I was buying) were not that bad if you could just wait for them to be made and delivered by a very slow boat from Turkey. Sinan Altinok takes pride in what he sells and I never had a bad pipe from him.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Yes, you have two figural meerschaum pipes there. They look like decent pipes. The second one looks like Mark Twain with a chef’s hat on. :p Mine is actually a Turk with a turban on. It has been around a while. I have a few others but that one comes to mind easiest. :D

Are you telling me Chef Boyardi was Mark Twain all this time? LOL!

maduro 5

A-List Customer
Last night Hoyo de Monterrey Short Hoyo Pirámides Edición Limitada 2011. Not a bad cigar but pretty tight draw.
A day before Punch Gran Robusto Regional Edicion Spain. Very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda