Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

RedPop4

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
I thought Wintermans was a subsidiary of Scandinavian Tobacco. Now that is a big company too. :D
Oh and last night was a Camacho Diadema. :D
It is (Wintermans) CAO also entered into a distribution relationship with Carlos Toraño, who makes a lot of cigars on their own and for so many others (CAO and Gurkha spring immediately to mind.) CAO distributes, Toraño with the infrastructural assistance of Wintermans.

RedPop4 said:
It is (Wintermans) CAO also entered into a distribution relationship with Carlos Toraño, who makes a lot of cigars on their own and for so many others (CAO and Gurkha spring immediately to mind.) CAO distributes, Toraño with the infrastructural assistance of Wintermans.

The whole company structures are just nuts now. Keeping track of who owns what hurts my head. :rolleyes: The CAO deal is recent (January 1, 2007 Ozgener retired) It makes sense that they would distribute Torano though---since they purchased both their factories in Nicaragua and Honduras from Torano in 2003 anyay. [huh]
Swedish Match owns Cigar International(2007) and General Cigar (2006).
Altadis owns JR cigars (2003-2008), a 50% stake in Habanos S.A., the distribution and marketing arm of that exotic little island’s cigar industry (2001), and it in the end gets gobbled up by British Imperial Tobacco. :eusa_doh:
This is what I used to know anyway. [huh] :p

indycop

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
The whole company structures are just nuts now. Keeping track of who owns what hurts my head.
I remember telling someone at the cigar shop that I was looking for the Bolivars with Bolivar head on the band cos I like them better than the all gold banded Bolivars. He said the all gold band ones were sold to another company by Bolivar but the others are still there's. Absolutely confusing if the same name can be 2 different companies.:eusa_doh:

indycop said:
I remember telling someone at the cigar shop that I was looking for the Bolivars with Bolivar head on the band cos I like them better than the all gold banded Bolivars. He said the all gold band ones were sold to another company by Bolivar but the others are still there's. Absolutely confusing if the same name can be 2 different companies.:eusa_doh:

Makes sense when I think about it. :eusa_doh: They are owned by General Cig----errr I mean Swedish Match. :eusa_doh: I think they make the Punch, Hoyo de Monterrey, and Belinda brands as well. I have no idea who they sold the gold banded stuff to. I thought they were both made at the Villazon factory. I am glad they are not because they sure do not smoke the same. :rolleyes:

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
I'm really getting to like these JR Alternatives; a respectable handmade cigar at a very reasonable price. I have one just about every afternoon following lunch. Last night we went out for drinks with friends and afterward back to the boat for nightcaps. I opened my humidor and offered sticks all around. Our friends brought out a bottle of Sailor Jerry rum. A very enjoyable evening.

Orvil Newton said:
I'm really getting to like these JR Alternatives; a respectable handmade cigar at a very reasonable price. I have one just about every afternoon following lunch. Last night we went out for drinks with friends and afterward back to the boat for nightcaps. I opened my humidor and offered sticks all around. Our friends brought out a bottle of Sailor Jerry rum. A very enjoyable evening.

You too eh? :D Rumor has it that they are made in the same Villazon factory as the Punch, Hoyo de Monterey and Belinda brands are made. They certainly are cheaper than the name brands and better than any Hoyo they make there as far as I am concerned. ;) :D

RedPop4

One Too Many
Sabrosos? As Lew said in the ad copy, it's a boom brand that went Ka-BOOM. Even though made by Swisher and Nestor Plasencia....I'd stay away. Lew himself would say a bad cigar with ten years of age is just a bad ten-year-old cigar.

That Swedish Match acquisition of CI has been huge.

RedPop4 said:
Sabrosos? As Lew said in the ad copy, it's a boom brand that went Ka-BOOM. Even though made by Swisher and Nestor Plasencia....I'd stay away. Lew himself would say a bad cigar with ten years of age is just a bad ten-year-old cigar.

That Swedish Match acquisition of CI has been huge.

Sounds like a good idea to stay away then. :D
Yep, CI has been the most profitable segment of their business this quarter. I should have thrown a few dollars at that stock when it was $19. ;)

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
jamespowers said:
You too eh? :D Rumor has it that they are made in the same Villazon factory as the Punch, Hoyo de Monterey and Belinda brands are made. They certainly are cheaper than the name brands and better than any Hoyo they make there as far as I am concerned. ;) :D

I've gone through about six bundles so far and have yet to get one that was plugged. Can't say that about the Punch cigars I was buying before; there would always be two r three per box that I couldn't smoke and the JRs smoke every bit as good as the Punch, if not better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran