Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
I had a pair of stellar smokes last night!
Started with a 1998 Hoyo Churchill...:eusa_clap
and then had a 2001 SCDLH El Princpe :rolleyes:

Accompanied by some Gouden Carolous Cuvee D'emperor and some Pyrat rum, and good friends..It was wonderful!

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
We need to get you a little better selection there Slim....I'm half a heretic and say that the Drew Estate is a least passable..but Swisher??

Slim Portly

One Too Many
rmrdaddy said:
We need to get you a little better selection there Slim....I'm half a heretic and say that the Drew Estate is a least passable..but Swisher??
Oh please, read my previous posts. Just because a man dines nightly on filet mignon doesn't mean he can't enjoy an occasional Snickers bar.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Brother, I gotta tell you, the Swishers aren't even wrapped in "real" tobacco!
HTL sounds like a government experiment to me, but it stands for homogenized tobacco leaf:

"Lower quality and cheaper machine made cigars use a homogenized tobacco leaf (HTL) as a binder. This leaf is usually made from tobacco scraps that are ground up, mixed with combustible agents and water, then stretched and rolled in a large sheet like paper.

The synthetic leaf, called HTL (for "homogenized tobacco leaf,") was first developed by General Cigar Co., fourth biggest U.S. cigar maker.

The major advantage of homogenization (mainly for cigarette manufacturers) is that scraps and stems (up to 30% of the leaf) that are now discarded can be pulverized, mixed with a cellulose adhesive and squeezed out in continuous rolls."

It's hardly tobacco at this point. So steak vs. Snickers really isn't a propos, as I consider them both foodstuffs. More like staek vs. shoeleather IMHO. Both came from a cow I guess but... :rolleyes:

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Locktown,
Good call on the Frog Morton! I have enjoyed every variety I have tried. I've yet to sample "On the Bayou" yet though....

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Yeah, you're right. My taste is crap. Your first post insulting my choice in smoke really didn't get the point across so the follow-up was totally justified. And thanks for quoting all of that information for me. I'm sorry I offended your delicate sensibilities. I feel awful for sullying this thread.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Awww shucks you didn't seem to be that easy to offend Slim....

Going after you was neither my intention or purpose. I happen to enjoy cigars. Seems that you do too...
I have been fortunate enough to have come across people who have pointed me in what I consider to be the "right" direction, helped me to refine my palate, and even helped me acquire some simply fantastic smokes. Strangely enough, I like to pay those actions forward as a means of extending the appreciation and enjoyment of the cigar ritual unto others. Though I risk the ire of others, apparently. People who I become acquainted with are often gifted with some of the smokes that I enjoy. I think perhaps that Mr. Powers may be able to vouch for me on that.
We all come to this place for a little bit of cameraderie. Let's not all assume that someone is attacking another, eh?

Be well

Slim Portly

One Too Many
rmrdaddy said:
Awww shucks you didn't seem to be that easy to offend Slim....

We all come to this place for a little bit of cameraderie. Let's not all assume that someone is attacking another, eh?
*shrug* I stopped punching my friends in the arm as a sign of affection sometime around my eighth birthday, but if you insulting my taste was an attempt at honest help then I appreciate the effort. Rest assured that my humidor is full of some very fine smokes, possibly even some good enough for you. If we're ever at an event and you fell like slumming, you know who to hang out with.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
rmrdaddy said:
More like staek vs. shoeleather IMHO. Both came from a cow I guess but... :rolleyes:

I was thinking more like "Steak-ums" :whistling
J/k you guys ;)
Ive been known to smoke a Backwoods gar once or twice......so I know what youre talking about.

MacBaren London Burley Blend and a pinch of GL Pease Cumberland in my
Tsuge Ikebana Smooth Egg

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
A very good friend of mine has one of the Tsuges, and he raves about how nice a little smoker it is. I will have to look into one of them sometime, for sure.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
One of my neighbors sails south of Key West from time to time and he usually drops a couple 'gars (and/or a bottle of rum) on me when he gets back. Never any bands or boxes. [huh] They ain't bad and they're free. ;)

Shoes317.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner