Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What cigar (or pipe) did you smoke today?

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
MissS said:
Thank you for indulging my curiosity. I don't smoke, however, I must admit I'm a little captivated by the whole ritual you seem to have with cigars (and the smell), so I might just have to give it a go one day!

You should try it! I don't smoke anything but have tried a milder cigar on few occasions - never could smoke the whole thing though. My dad has this amazing humidor with quite a few different cigars and just to open that up, mhh smells so good.

grey ghost

One of the Regulars
I agree, pipes for me is during my solitude time, fly fishing in a stream, drifting in my kayak.......

cigars on the other hand is social, now that I have said that, I love sitting on the back deck as the sun sets, usually with a fine cigar and a single malt

today was a very nice Ashton........

Slim Portly

One Too Many
MissS said:
Thank you for indulging my curiosity. I don't smoke, however, I must admit I'm a little captivated by the whole ritual you seem to have with cigars (and the smell), so I might just have to give it a go one day!
I'd be happy to buy you a cigar and smoke one with you.

Darhling said:
You should try it! I don't smoke anything but have tried a milder cigar on few occasions - never could smoke the whole thing though. My dad has this amazing humidor with quite a few different cigars and just to open that up, mhh smells so good.
The room that I keep my humidor in smells great. There's just nothing quite like the smell of good tobacco. I love walking in to a cigar shop for the firist time. There's one here in Cesars Palace that you can smell as you are approaching it. Ah... heaven.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
MissS said:
Do many of you also smoke cigarettes, or do you just smoke cigars?(ok, I lied - 2 questions!) And do you get addicted to cigars, or do you smoke just for enjoyment?
MissS,
I never did smoke cigarettes.
And, despite evidence to the contrary, I am not addicted to cigars!! :eusa_doh: :rolleyes:

If you'd like a few cigars to start with, It would be my honor to supply you! It is a very relaxing pastime, and you were dead on with the concept that it a ritual, at least it is for me. The selection, the inspection of the cigar, cutting, lighting, it's really a process that allows me comteplative time to decompress and recharge my batteries.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
Slim Portly said:
14813111767.jpg
Slim,
Great smoke! And I really do like that crystal ashtray as well. Nice!

MissS

A-List Customer
Slim Portly said:
I'd be happy to buy you a cigar and smoke one with you.

Slim, I'll hold you to that when I finally make my way to your side of the world!

rmrdaddy said:
If you'd like a few cigars to start with, It would be my honor to supply you!

You're so sweet! However I certainly couldn't ask you to put yourself out just for me - I will though, ask you for a starter recommendation!

Slim Portly

One Too Many
rmrdaddy said:
Slim,
Great smoke! And I really do like that crystal ashtray as well. Nice!
Well, it's no Swisher, but it will do. The ashtray is great. Best one I've ever had and I got it for a song. Any of you mugs or dames ever make it to Sin City and the smokes are on me.

MD11

Familiar Face
Anyone hear of HECHO A MANO Vista Real "Republica Dominicana" Connecticut Wrapper "Premium" Cigars? Are they really man made?

A friend of mine flew down there recently and brought back a box of 25 Rubsto's, it's black and bears the Dominican Government seal.. I've not tried one yet, but would love to know what to expect from one when/if I do.

rmrdaddy

One Too Many
MD,
I've not heard of them. I would imagine that they may be made for domestic consumption in the D.R. Most of the major cigar manufacturers work in a secure trade zone(or some other such name, I forget).
My understanding of which is that it is a fence enclosed guards-with-guns-and-dogs area. Since tobacco is such a large export for the D.R. now, and the gov't wants it's share, this area was created to ensure proper taxes, levies, and tarriffs were paid.
Finding the cigars that we enjoy here in the states was actually difficult for me when I was there on vacation. Especially at any kind of resonable price. Also the proliferation of really BAD fake habanos was insane as well...
The only test: smoke some of those cigars and see how you like them!

MD11

Familiar Face
rmrdaddy said:
MD,
I've not heard of them. I would imagine that they may be made for domestic consumption in the D.R. Most of the major cigar manufacturers work in a secure trade zone(or some other such name, I forget).
My understanding of which is that it is a fence enclosed guards-with-guns-and-dogs area. Since tobacco is such a large export for the D.R. now, and the gov't wants it's share, this area was created to ensure proper taxes, levies, and tarriffs were paid.
Finding the cigars that we enjoy here in the states was actually difficult for me when I was there on vacation. Especially at any kind of resonable price. Also the proliferation of really BAD fake habanos was insane as well...
The only test: smoke some of those cigars and see how you like them!

I'm a regular pipe guy, but I suppose I'll take one out tomorrow and try them. My friend said they were about $15/ea which leads me to think they aught to be at least a decent mild to medium smoker.. the wrapper is pretty light and the pack of the tobacco seems quite dense.. Will report back on it later.

Gaige

One of the Regulars
MissS said:
:eek:fftopic: and apologies for hijacking your thread, but I just had a teensy question and didn't want to start a new one for it...

Do many of you also smoke cigarettes, or do you just smoke cigars?
(ok, I lied - 2 questions!) And do you get addicted to cigars, or do you smoke just for enjoyment?

I'm not a cigarette smoker; never have been aside from experimenting in high school.

I smoke cigars and pipes (mainly pipes) for the simple enjoyment and relaxation. :)

Selentino

One of the Regulars
GG, I agree 100%. On the deck with a nice port or Three fingers of Glenlivet and something from the humidor makes whatever bad stuff that happened during the day seem so insignificant!
Slim I come to Vegas three or four times a year on business. What's your favorite cigar spot.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Gaige said:
Nothing wrong with Fuente!
I have been on a search for a not too big cigar that I won't cry if I have to toss it at work cos I got a call to go to. The Fuente fills the bill at that price, although I have been known to hit a swisher every now and then!:D

Slim Portly

One Too Many
Selentino said:
Slim I come to Vegas three or four times a year on business. What's your favorite cigar spot.
If you can get away from the strip and head a few miles towards the border of Henderson, do yourself a favor and stop by The Tobacco Leaf (9400 South Eastern Avenue, about two blocks south of the 215). It's my neighborhood shop and I'm lucky to have it. It's a small place - two men have to be very polite to pass each other in the humidor, and the lounge in the back barely holds two sofas - but the selection is good, the service is excellent, and the prices make what you pay on the strip a joke. These are the guys who laid three very fine sticks on me last night for no good reason other than the fact that I'm a semi-regular who lives in the neighborhood (speaking of which I'm just finishing the Rocky Patel right now).

However, if you are on the strip and want a cigar bar par excellence, hit Casa Fuente inside the Forum Shops at Ceasars Palace. It's an almost exact reproduction of Bar Floridita in Havana, where you'll find not only a great humidor but a full bar as well, including wine and cognac selections. The cigars are limited to brands made by the Fuente factory, but "limited" is really the wrong word considering the choices that encompasses. You'll pay for the time you spend there, but what a time it is.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
indycop said:
I have been on a search for a not too big cigar that I won't cry if I have to toss it at work cos I got a call to go to. The Fuente fills the bill at that price, although I have been known to hit a swisher every now and then!:D
Might I be so bold as to make a suggestion? The Cusano M1 is a very affordable smoke that is reminiscent of a Macanudo but, in my estimation, smoother and creamier. You should be able pick up a Café Robusto (5 x 36) for not much more than a couple of bucks.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Slim:

I'll be road trippin up to Duck Creek UT in a few weeks and passing thru your neck 'O the woods.
Hopefully I can remember the addy of your tobacco shop and pick up a few sticks for the ride.
I'll be sure to drop your name for a neighborhood discount ;)

Havent had a gar in awhile but I burned some Escudo in my Mastro de Paja Rusticated Rhodesian on the way to work last night.

............and I totally agree with the Pipes for solitude - Cigars for Socializing discussion. Leave me alone when I have a pipe going.....it takes all my focus to enjoy.

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Slim,
Thanks for the info. I'll try them both. I tend to bring my own to Vegas because of the prices on the strip. Hey has anybody purchased smokes in Mexico recently? They have lost their minds. Two months ago I went into the Havanah Club across from Cabo Wabos courtyard and purchased two Bolivars for myself and two Cohibas for someone else and they cost well over $200.00! That kind of nonsense is exactly why I no longer chase the cubans. I enjoy my vices as wll as the next man but prices like that can cut into a man's Scotch fund:rage:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner