Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What did you buy for yourself this Christmas?

Mark D

One of the Regulars
I had a few ideas about what I wanted for Christmas...a new radio, a rifle, or perhaps a guitar? Then while taking an unexpectedly cold shower the other morning it hit me; a new hot water heater! Just what I've always wanted :rage:

...it's a beauty though. :mmph:

glynb

New in Town
An 80's vintage barely worn brown steerhide "highwayman" type riding jacket (American Crossroads) in size 48 from www.vintagetrends.com.

I got it for a steal at $71.00 shipped. Very stiff. It was made in India, but it seems to be a very well constructed jacket. I'm working it over with Pecard's to soften it up.

glynb

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
I'm still trying to talk myself into it. I already have a '94 American Standard Tele...and I just bought a new HD-28 a year ago...but I'm thinking that one can never have enough guitars or flight jackets.

AF

Hello Atticus;

Come on man, you deserve it! Run down to the store now before it closes, buy the guitar. Then, put on that latest M-1951, light up a cigar and start pickin'.

Merry Christmas.............coffee

Well, went out and bought a new watch today, broke my old one. I've bought that same 10 dollar watch 3 or 4 times. Went out and spent 65 bucks this time and got myself a nice 'gold' Armitron watch.

Windward

Practically Family
2 AERO Windward jackets - "Morgan" Windward in standard brown FQHH with od green gabardine lining and "Bentley" Windward in vintage brown FQHH with shearling lining to survive the cruel winter.

lapa

Familiar Face
A second-hand Buzz Rickson A-2 (borrowed photos from the seller)
B7tZGg2kKGrHqNl0EyjC1BLCBM1C9GHgEw_3.jpg
B7t66sgEGkKGrHqFg8EyrpG2ZJEBM1CynZCQ_3.jpg
B7tTMQWkKGrHqFg0EyrqJQGnBM1C85mwnQ_3.jpg

lapa

Familiar Face
And also an Eastman House A-2 in russet brown horsehide which I believe sourced from aswatland.
IMG_1652.jpg
IMG_1655.jpg

Last edited:

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Jacket1.jpg

Got this beauty from Superior Flight Apparel. One of the test jackets and an absolute bargain. The picture does not really show the colour properly. It is a beautiful brown/russet. My photo makes it look red. The fit is perfect and I can't say enough good things about it. Instantly my favourite and I will probably let my Highwayman go now. I originally thought it would be too large but Mark gave me the measurements and it turned out to be spot on. A real keeper.

Last edited:

too much coffee

Practically Family
Great looking jacket! Mark does wonderful work and a jacket from him is a worthwhile addition to the wardrobe. Glad it fits you well.

You realize Nicholas, you have to give the Lounge members the right of first refusal on your Highwayman!

Wear your new jacket in good health.

Best regards, coffee

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Thanks Coffee, yeah Mark was really helpful and his jackets look like they're up there with the very best. Just deciding if I need to get another jacket to replace the Aero.... It feels like there should be a certain amount of leather hanging in the coat closet.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
Do you mean the Highwayman?
DSC02583.JPG

Still coping with a newborn on top of my boy who's coming up two years old but will decide what to do with the Aero soon.

RolandGunner

New in Town
I finally convinced myself to spring for a good winter flight jacket - an ANJ-4 from U.S. Authentic. I've had a goatskin A-2 (Avirex) for quite a while. I purchased it at the U.S. Air Force Museum nearly 20 years ago. Not the best A-2, I'm sure, but I've gotten a tremendous amount of wear out of it.

As much as I've wanted a winter jacket I'm pretty ... frugal ... so I've never been able to find the quality and authenticity that I want at a price I could justify. Then at the Gathering of Mustangs and Legends airshow in '07 I picked up an Eastman Leather B-2 cap. I love it so much that it was only a matter of time before I would finally spring for a jacket to go with it.

Thanks to everyone here for your reviews and attention to detail. This site has been a tremendous help over the past year as I've made my choice on what to get. I decided on the ANJ-4 because I think the goatskin cuffs and waist will be more practical for daily wear than the B-3 shearling. It also looks a bit more contemporary so that it doesn't look too much like a vintage costume when I'm wearing it with my B-2 cap.

I chose U.S. Authentic because they seemed to good value for the money while remaining authentic enough for all but the most knowledgeable flight jacket fans.

So far, I'm thrilled with the results. They offered helpful advice on the appropriate size based on my measurements (as specified on their site) and they shipped much more quickly than I'd hoped (delivered in less than a week). The jacket is just what I'd hoped for - quality workmanship and the leather (seal brown exactly as shown on their site) looks great.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and advice that you post here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner