Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

SteveAS

Practically Family
I've been doing a little tasting of the ten different Four Roses bourbon mash recipes. Last night's was a barre3l-strength, single-barrel OESO recipe. It was the best Four Roses I've tasted.

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
A double Mai Tai last night using the original recipe from the man who invented it.

A proper Mai Tai:

1oz Jamaican rum (Appleton Estate is good)
1oz Martinique rum (Rhum St. James is good) [light and dark rum]
1/2 oz orange curacao (not the blue stuff)
1/4 oz Orgeat syrup (not creme de almond)
1/4 oz sugar syrup (and Vic puts a little vanilla in his)
the juice of one small lime (3/4 oz approx.)

Shake with crushed ice, serve in a rocks glass, garnish with a mint sprig, one pineapple spear, and a cocktail cherry.

And yes, it must have the mint garnish to be a mai tai. (I don't alway have the mint :p)

Cliff

Ps: Trader Vic (Victor Bergeron aka Trader Vic) won a court case that defined his recipe as the original!

A double Mai Tai last night using the original recipe from the man who invented it.

A proper Mai Tai:

1oz Jamaican rum (Appleton Estate is good)
1oz Martinique rum (Rhum St. James is good) [light and dark rum]
1/2 oz orange curacao (not the blue stuff)
1/4 oz Orgeat syrup (not creme de almond)
1/4 oz sugar syrup (and Vic puts a little vanilla in his)
the juice of one small lime (3/4 oz approx.)

Shake with crushed ice, serve in a rocks glass, garnish with a mint sprig, one pineapple spear, and a cocktail cherry.

And yes, it must have the mint garnish to be a mai tai. (I don't alway have the mint :p)

Cliff

Ps: Trader Vic (Victor Bergeron aka Trader Vic) won a court case that defined his recipe as the original!

My old 1944 recipe calls for 2 ounces of the J.Wray and Nephew 17 year old rum. I also use the Trader Vic Rock Candy Syrup. You can't get the 17 year old anymore but you can use J. Wray if you can find it. I think they are connected with Appleton so it might be a good substitute.

The Original Trader Vic Formula - 1944
  • 2 oz of 17-year old J. Wray & Nephew Rum over shaved ice
  • Add juice from one fresh lime
  • 1/2 oz Holland DeKuyper Orange Curacao
  • 1/4 oz Trader Vic's Rock Candy Syrup
  • 1/2 oz French Garnier Orgeat Syrup
  • Shake vigorously.
  • Add a sprig of fresh mint
Your recipe sounds like the 1972 recipe.

They are both good but I hate the ones that have pineapple and orange juice in them.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, very possibly my favourite beer, which I'm glad to say that Waitrose sell in the UK...

sierra-nevada-pale-ale1.jpg

And the last of the Illy espresso I bought for Christmas...

Cliffnopus

One of the Regulars
They are both good but I hate the ones that have pineapple and orange juice in them.

Agreed. Not many bars know how to make a Mai Tai without a pre-mixed slurry of who-knows-what. I almost edited out the recipes rum callouts as being too defined. Any good light and dark rum would work well, I use whatever I have. Right now that's Mount Gay Barbadan Rum and Myers dark.

Cliff

Agreed. Not many bars know how to make a Mai Tai without a pre-mixed slurry of who-knows-what. I almost edited out the recipes rum callouts as being too defined. Any good light and dark rum would work well, I use whatever I have. Right now that's Mount Gay Barbadan Rum and Myers dark.

Cliff

I use whatever rum I have as well. At the moment it is Montecristo or 10 Cane but I am just out of Wray.:D
Callouts are never too defined when you want a drink to be exactly like what you had at a bar or a friend's house. ;)

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
New Years Night, kicked off with "Contemplations over a Double Bourbon" with some other Bond fans (Goldfinger Chapter Title), a Millionaire's Gimlet, some Passion Fruit Rum (also very popular) and some Grog. (Well it was a Pirate Murder Mystery and as "Governor-General Gimlet" I needed my fix of lime.)

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
I drank some yummy things over the holidays: hard cider, ice wine, Fruli (beer), red wine, champagne...:) Didn't have any drinks on New Year's eve though. :( Will need a drink tonight, as it's my first day back at work! Eeek!

X
BD

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
For most of December my brother-in-law and his missus were visiting with us. During that time I introduced them to classic cocktails, some of which they had never heard of- Old Fashioned, Whisky Sour, Tom Collins, Manhattan, Boston Side Car. They enjoyed them all, and when they returned home to Canada, I got a call from him asking where to buy simple syrup. I told him how to make his own.

For most of December my brother-in-law and his missus were visiting with us. During that time I introduced them to classic cocktails, some of which they had never heard of- Old Fashioned, Whisky Sour, Tom Collins, Manhattan, Boston Side Car. They enjoyed them all, and when they returned home to Canada, I got a call from him asking where to buy simple syrup. I told him how to make his own.

That was nice of you. I make my own as well. The only thing I buy in that range is Trader Vics Rock Candy Syrup. I just can't do it as good as he does. :p

rumblefish

One Too Many
I made a Vesper with Cocchi Americano as a substitute for Kina Lillet. A heck of a lot better than Lillet Blanc. I think the Lillet Blanc killed a lot of the gin's botanicals with it's sweetness whereas the Cocchi's bitterness enhanced it.

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
Sunday night was back to the "OHDH", so it was a G'n'T, as follows:

Double measure (50ml): Tanqueray Rangpur gin (Rangpur rather than the usual Tanq 10).
Four ice cubes.
Lime wedge, squeezed.
Indian Tonic.
Large glass.
Comfy chair.

BD - I would never have guessed, that this might be your favourite thread! ;)

Danny O

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Sunday night was back to the "OHDH", so it was a G'n'T, as follows:

Double measure (50ml): Tanqueray Rangpur gin (Rangpur rather than the usual Tanq 10).
Four ice cubes.
Lime wedge, squeezed.
Indian Tonic.
Large glass.
Comfy chair.

BD - I would never have guessed, that this might be your favourite thread! ;)

Danny O

Danny O,

What? On a School night? I hardly think that teacher approves! ;0 Those OHDHs sound stupendous!
X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21