Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

I am enjoying the fact they went back to the old formula.

2585618147_41e7334d96_z.jpg

Fascinating. :p lol

There is the idea that when alcohol is double or triple distilled for higher proofs at some point the cogeners and extras are stripped off leaving a very pure alcohol with little residual flavor. Yet the learned taste buds can discern truly minute flavors.

Some compounds of "flavor" can be tasted or found in the aroma at single digits in parts per billion and higher.

There is the idea that when alcohol is double or triple distilled for higher proofs at some point the cogeners and extras are stripped off leaving a very pure alcohol with little residual flavor. Yet the learned taste buds can discern truly minute flavors.

Some compounds of "flavor" can be tasted or found in the aroma at single digits in parts per billion and higher.

Hmmmm.... I didn't know sharks drank alcohol. :p

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
We did a blind taste test. Only I knew the brands.
I served my buddies the following in order Grey Goose, Ketel One, Stoly, Monopolowa and well I can't remember the fourth brand. They each ate a soda cracker and a sip of water between each sample. All either preferred or had Monopolowa tied for first. Its very clean and maybe a little sweet? For the price it is certainly worth a try. I am pretty sure you can buy it in Cali. Take the challenge blind.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
A lovely bone dry Cotes de Provence. Here in LA is is still summer in full force--fall can't come soon enough, but until it does, summer drinks are in order!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Something concocted by the Iowa Brewers Union called Dr. Z's Health Preparation or something like that. This is basically beer without hops, but with several botanicals added (I forget which). Sounds awful? It wasn't. Sort of a light shandy flavor. It would taste great with lime.

Flicka

One Too Many
I drank a "Cointreaupolitan" as the party I went to yesterday was sponsored by Cointreau in some sort of collaboration with Dita von Teese. Just lemon juice, Cointreau and cranberry juice. It was actually absolutely delicious!

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi James

Is that your daily breakfast beer? Bacon and Maple flavored sounds like breakfast to me. I'll check at Jacob's liquor next time I'm in Wichita. So far I can't find a large Liquor store in OKC or Norman.

Later

m0nk

One Too Many
Well, it may not have been last night, but Saturday night I took my wife out in the city and had some good drinks; started the evening off with a dry martini while my wife had a Tom Collins, and then had a few glasses of scotch. We sampled some 15 year Glenlivet and 12 year Macallan (I often drink either but my wife has never actually tried them). Then we had some Powers Irish Whiskey, and I finished off with a Guinness Draft.

Hi James

Is that your daily breakfast beer? Bacon and Maple flavored sounds like breakfast to me. I'll check at Jacob's liquor next time I'm in Wichita. So far I can't find a large Liquor store in OKC or Norman.

Later

Not at all. It actually was lousy, in my estimation. It smelled more like coffee and tasted like dirt. Not my kind of thing. :p I just got taken in by the wierd bottle I guess. It is a smoky beer if you like that sort of thing though. [huh]

Well, it may not have been last night, but Saturday night I took my wife out in the city and had some good drinks; started the evening off with a dry martini while my wife had a Tom Collins, and then had a few glasses of scotch. We sampled some 15 year Glenlivet and 12 year Macallan (I often drink either but my wife has never actually tried them). Then we had some Powers Irish Whiskey, and I finished off with a Guinness Draft.

Powers is always good. :p

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

After discussing Scotches at work with a native Oklahoman, I went by the Thunderbird liquor store in Norman OK and asked the hippy dippy dude which Scotch was the smokiest he had. I came home with a fifth of Laphroaig 10 year old and by GAWD it's smoky. It went extremely well with the smoked Cheddar and Trisquits I had for dinner. I need to get some BBQ on the way home for tomorrow night and get well and truly smoked.

Later

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
After discussing Scotches at work with a native Oklahoman, I went by the Thunderbird liquor store in Norman OK and asked the hippy dippy dude which Scotch was the smokiest he had. I came home with a fifth of Laphroaig 10 year old and by GAWD it's smoky. It went extremely well with the smoked Cheddar and Trisquits I had for dinner. I need to get some BBQ on the way home for tomorrow night and get well and truly smoked.

Laphroaig is a really nice Islay. It is fairly easy to find and the price is not too prohibitive. You can really taste the peat smoke and the slight hint of fish and kelp makes it great with smoked salmon as well. If you compare it with Glenlivit you really see how much variation there is between single malt whiskys.

m0nk

One Too Many
Laphroaig is a really nice Islay. It is fairly easy to find and the price is not too prohibitive. You can really taste the peat smoke and the slight hint of fish and kelp makes it great with smoked salmon as well. If you compare it with Glenlivit you really see how much variation there is between single malt whiskys.
Islay Scotches are one of those "love it or hate it" regionals... I'm not a fan, but I know that a lot of people who are started out with Laphroaig. Personally, I'm a Highland and Speyside guy... You could also try McClelland's, which produces four different regional Whiskys, including Islay. My personal favorites are Glenlivet (18 all the way) and Glenfiddich, which are both from Speyside.

Hi

Later

You certainly got one of the smokiest out there. lol lol If you could find PeatMonster then you would be at the top. :p That is a blow your head off smoky---of course so is the name. :p

Islay Scotches are one of those "love it or hate it" regionals... I'm not a fan, but I know that a lot of people who are started out with Laphroaig. Personally, I'm a Highland and Speyside guy... You could also try McClelland's, which produces four different regional Whiskys, including Islay. My personal favorites are Glenlivet (18 all the way) and Glenfiddich, which are both from Speyside.

For a Highland, you need to try the Glendronach. It is outside some people's comfort zone because it is not widely known but it is a great single malt that has a nose of vanilla and tastes like liquid honey with a lot more complexity. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot