Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Well at least it had a cork then. :p
Screw tops are for high end wines like Sutter Home. :rofl:
Sutter Home...
Since someone else has mentioned box wines, I've considered a Syrah I saw awhile back that came in this form.
Not sure though. I like to read a lot of reviews before buying a large quantity of crappy wine. Call it a bad habit. :)

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've never had Ardbeg. My inventory of smoky malts was Talisker, Lagavulin, and Lafroig, the latter smokiest, of course. I'll have to try Ardbeg. There are so many different bottles you could buy of Scotch, it makes it very interesting. I still don't know my favorite Scotch, having bought scores of single malt types, but old Macallan, Oban, Gleygoyne 15 year old, and Glendronach sherry cask are at the top of my current list. A few other rare and discontinued types offered by a local shop fifteen years ago whose names I don't remember were right up there. I think Port Ellen was one of those.

I've never had Ardbeg. My inventory of smoky malts was Talisker, Lagavulin, and Lafroig, the latter smokiest, of course. I'll have to try Ardbeg. There are so many different bottles you could buy of Scotch, it makes it very interesting. I still don't know my favorite Scotch, having bought scores of single malt types, but old Macallan, Oban, Gleygoyne 15 year old, and Glendronach sherry cask are at the top of my current list. A few other rare and discontinued types offered by a local shop fifteen years ago whose names I don't remember were right up there. I think Port Ellen was one of those.

I don't have Lafroig in my inventory but I have the others. Glendronach is not easy to get around here but I manage to keep one around. I am surprised that one got by me for so long.
Rare and discontinued now means lots of dough. Port Ellen wasn't the greatest single malt but now that they are gone, the price went up like crazy on what is left. :eusa_doh:
I love to try new ones when I can get them. My wife found an old bottle of Dalmore's Cigar Malt---after I bought the new version for way more money. :eusa_doh: Tasting both, I find the new one slightly better but it should be for the big price difference. :p

m0nk

One Too Many
I almost picked up a giftbox with a bottle of Glenfiddich this weekend as they've started selling them locally. They're only $3 more than the actual bottle and have great little tasting glass... and I like collecting decent bar-ware to go with my spirits...

I almost picked up a giftbox with a bottle of Glenfiddich this weekend as they've started selling them locally. They're only $3 more than the actual bottle and have great little tasting glass... and I like collecting decent bar-ware to go with my spirits...

I love the Christmas season for that. The companies package all kinds of premiums with their bottles. I have all kinds of glasses already but sometimes you run across something different and cool.

danofarlington

I don't know that you strictly get what you pay for in single malt Scotch, but my mind works that way. If I spend less than about $50/bottle, or $60, I feel the bottle is inferior. I think it probably is. But it just may be my price snobbery imagination.

On the subject of barware, I got a lot of mileage out of buying antique whiskey glasses and drinking the Scotch out of those. There's something about the thought that somone long dead was probably sitting in a chair, or a bar, holding the same whiskey glass and thinking middle-distance thoughts just like I me, that is interesting. Others may think it morbid. But I like to buy the stray antique whiskey glass when I run across one. Out here in the East, there are a lot of pretty old antiques.

I don't know that you strictly get what you pay for in single malt Scotch, but my mind works that way. If I spend less than about $50/bottle, or $60, I feel the bottle is inferior. I think it probably is. But it just may be my price snobbery imagination.

On the subject of barware, I got a lot of mileage out of buying antique whiskey glasses and drinking the Scotch out of those. There's something about the thought that somone long dead was probably sitting in a chair, or a bar, holding the same whiskey glass and thinking middle-distance thoughts just like I me, that is interesting. Others may think it morbid. But I like to buy the stray antique whiskey glass when I run across one. Out here in the East, there are a lot of pretty old antiques.

There are some decent low priced choices out there though. McClellands has several renditions that come from famous distilleries for a fraction of their name branded products. They might have a little less age on them but over a certain age they aren't necessarily better. :p The Dalmore in Lalique crystal decanters for tens of thousands of dollars just doesn't do it for me. :p

Interesting view on barware. I would just add smoking a fine cigar to your narrative. :p

danofarlington

That probably deserves a separate thread: "Good enough single malt Scotch whisky for less than $50/bottle." I have had a few myself, but I don't consider it reliable to buy bottles that are less expensive. If I knew some good ones, I would probably go for it, because I just can't afford premium Scotch these days.

That probably deserves a separate thread: "Good enough single malt Scotch whisky for less than $50/bottle." I have had a few myself, but I don't consider it reliable to buy bottles that are less expensive. If I knew some good ones, I would probably go for it, because I just can't afford premium Scotch these days.

I think you can find plenty of choices here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?41550-What-is-your-favorite-Scotch-Whisky

I might have added a bit to the thread myself. :p
There are some good brands that won't kill you. :p Auchentoshan is a decent Lowland that comes to mind too. :cheers1:

anon`

One Too Many
Started last night with a pint of Deschutes Hop Trip, from their Bond Street Series.
Moved on to a bomber of homegrown imperial dunkelweizen.
From there, I recall a glass of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.
Finished the night with a glass of Linie akevitt.

I'd wager that each of the last was a wee bit more than a mere dram...

Started last night with a pint of Deschutes Hop Trip, from their Bond Street Series.
Moved on to a bomber of homegrown imperial dunkelweizen.
From there, I recall a glass of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban.
Finished the night with a glass of Linie akevitt.

I'd wager that each of the last was a wee bit more than a mere dram...

Glenmorangie is always an interesting expression.
I picked up a large bottle that looks like a king size version of the regular fifth. It makes an interesting bar bottle for display. :p
Tonight looks like a dram or two of Oban and some Cohiba Siglo 2s. :cheers1:

And coming to you live from the lower-middle-class portion of the Fedora Lounge:

Tonight's tasty beverage.
aaabeer.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL