Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Sutter Home.
I know, but it was all my inlaws small town had, and beer wise I'd have to drink "Bud." Uh no.
I'm going to the big city today for a few things, surely they've heard of Guinness or at least Killions.

Sutter Home.
I know, but it was all my inlaws small town had, and beer wise I'd have to drink "Bud." Uh no.
I'm going to the big city today for a few things, surely they've heard of Guinness or at least Killions.

Any port in a storm, sailor.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Annixter

Practically Family
My mother and her childhood friend were on their yearly San Francisco excursion last night and staying at a hotel near Union Square. We decided to meet up for a nightcap, so I took our semi-subway into the city and met them at a restaurant/bar. Sitting in the basement bar, I decided to have a martini. I like mine with Tanqueray, dry, and dirty. At $14 for the martini, I expected it to be decent.

The bartender knew what he was doing with the drink's components, but I found myself staring in bewilderment when he mixed it. Sure enough, he proceeded to shake the life out of the concoction leaving me with a badly bruised mess. I contemplated if I was to blame for not requesting it stirred, but I realized, out of the countless martinis I've ordered across the USA, I've never had to specify stirred, and I've never received one shaken. So when the bartender gave me the drink, I politely explained that I prefer a martini stirred. I thought I'd get on his bad side by saying this, but he actually apologized and explained that the bar's policy is to shake martinis because "it is the popular thing to do nowadays because people don't want to taste the alcohol." He then confessed that he feels wrong shaking a martini or making one with anything other than gen, so we had a nice conversation about the death of traditional drinks and the paradox of why anyone would order a martini if he/she didn't want to taste the alcohol. In the end, he gave me the bruised martini free of charge and made me a splendid stirred one.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

During and ice storm, I actually had my favorite summer drink, a red beer with Zing Zang and Pabst.

I can't help but chug the silly things.

My mother and her childhood friend were on their yearly San Francisco excursion last night and staying at a hotel near Union Square. We decided to meet up for a nightcap, so I took our semi-subway into the city and met them at a restaurant/bar. Sitting in the basement bar, I decided to have a martini. I like mine with Tanqueray, dry, and dirty. At $14 for the martini, I expected it to be decent.

The bartender knew what he was doing with the drink's components, but I found myself staring in bewilderment when he mixed it. Sure enough, he proceeded to shake the life out of the concoction leaving me with a badly bruised mess. I contemplated if I was to blame for not requesting it stirred, but I realized, out of the countless martinis I've ordered across the USA, I've never had to specify stirred, and I've never received one shaken. So when the bartender gave me the drink, I politely explained that I prefer a martini stirred. I thought I'd get on his bad side by saying this, but he actually apologized and explained that the bar's policy is to shake martinis because "it is the popular thing to do nowadays because people don't want to taste the alcohol." He then confessed that he feels wrong shaking a martini or making one with anything other than gen, so we had a nice conversation about the death of traditional drinks and the paradox of why anyone would order a martini if he/she didn't want to taste the alcohol. In the end, he gave me the bruised martini free of charge and made me a splendid stirred one.

In our area here, there are plenty of bartenders who feel the same way and some who just don't know the difference. I usually meet up with the latter who love to top up drinks with water. :doh:
Who wants a fizzy martini. You get a gin fizz if that is what you want. :dh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner