Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Boodles

A-List Customer
rmrdaddy, thanks for the tour photos

I have not taken that tour so these photos are very interesting. I especially like the photo of the cabinet which sort of reminds me of a large cabinet at Bushmills.

Mr Powers, no worries that I might be reduced to the Four Roses "Blended Whiskey." I learned that lesson more than 40 years ago, a lesson which made a confirmed beer drinker of me for years afterward. Now that I have the opportunity to try the unadulterated Four Roses products I am even more disgusted with what they do to arrive at the rot-gut version. The rumor mill has it that it was Seagrams, which bought out Four Roses after the war, and then set about to turn people off the competition for it's own excellent Canadian Whiskey by creating the blended abomination and, in effect, ruining the reputation of the brand, at least in the USA, for over 50 years. Apparently what happens is that the product is cut with "Neutral Grain Spirits" (read that as white dog aged 4 hours). The finished product is a firey mess with all the appeal on the palate of castor oil. The Small Batch version of the good stuff, on the other hand, seems to me to be sort of Elmer T Lee like. Now, off the soap box.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Elijah Craig, the 12 year version, with a bit of ice

This is another bottle of this which has a slight, but still disagreeable, funky after taste. I'm beginning to think the cork bottling is introducing the ocassional funk into some whiskey. Plastic caps may be cheezy but do seem to be funk free.

Boodles said:
I have not taken that tour so these photos are very interesting. I especially like the photo of the cabinet which sort of reminds me of a large cabinet at Bushmills.

Mr Powers, no worries that I might be reduced to the Four Roses "Blended Whiskey." I learned that lesson more than 40 years ago, a lesson which made a confirmed beer drinker of me for years afterward. Now that I have the opportunity to try the unadulterated Four Roses products I am even more disgusted with what they do to arrive at the rot-gut version. The rumor mill has it that it was Seagrams, which bought out Four Roses after the war, and then set about to turn people off the competition for it's own excellent Canadian Whiskey by creating the blended abomination and, in effect, ruining the reputation of the brand, at least in the USA, for over 50 years. Apparently what happens is that the product is cut with "Neutral Grain Spirits" (read that as white dog aged 4 hours). The finished product is a firey mess with all the appeal on the palate of castor oil. The Small Batch version of the good stuff, on the other hand, seems to me to be sort of Elmer T Lee like. Now, off the soap box.

Ah goo. I see you learned the hard way like most of us did. lol
Blended stuff just doesn't do it for me either---especially cut with white dog. :eek: :eusa_doh:

PoohBang

Suspended
Boodles said:
This is another bottle of this which has a slight, but still disagreeable, funky after taste. I'm beginning to think the cork bottling is introducing the ocassional funk into some whiskey. Plastic caps may be cheezy but do seem to be funk free.

I
I bought a bottle on a recommendation and have to say, I was disappointed with it.
tasted like watered down coca-cola.

Might not be the cork, might be the bourbon.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Elijah Craig 12

PoohBang said:
I
I bought a bottle on a recommendation and have to say, I was disappointed with it.
tasted like watered down coca-cola.

Might not be the cork, might be the bourbon.

It's too bad that you didn't like it but probably not really unusual. I've gone through dozens of bottles of the stuff over the past few years. At my house many people who try it love it, while others are non plused. I'm near certain that the people who taste one of the funky bottles don't buy it again. I've had the same funky taste thing happen with Bakers and a few others.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A Rob Roy - noticed we were a little top-heavy in the Scotch department and low on gin, and remembered making a Manhattan with Scotch is a Rob Roy. 4 Scotch, 1 sweet vermouth, a dash or two of orange bitters, pop in a Maraschino cherry - voila!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Hensche Euphonium 2005

A fine Australian blend of Shiraz, Cab Sauv and Merlot. Wonderful.

IMG_5920+2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart