Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

I love that commercial. I have one of the Hamms 1956 motion signs behind my bar. It looks like this one(forgive the bad video---its not mine just an example):
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrLrflzKIyk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrLrflzKIyk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Medvssa said:
No, it was a little bottle of pretty good stuff (in my unexperienced opinion :D), but... I cannot remember the name :eek:

Ah remind me to give you my recipe, not sure how it will compared but the lst batch seemed popular, as in when I returned from getting someone a drink to have a glass my guests had drunk it all.

LOVE the motion sign. I've wanted one of these for years! I am a brewery collector but usually just collect 1940s and prior, but Hamm's had some great 50's-70's items, with the Hamm's Bear (Have a neon Hamm's Bear Clock) and the motion signs "From the Land of Sky Blue Waters, comes the beer refreshing" Not to mention I have a couple of them in me tonite again :)

jamespowers said:
I love that commercial. I have one of the Hamms 1956 motion signs behind my bar. It looks like this one(forgive the bad video---its not mine just an example):
[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrLrflzKIyk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yrLrflzKIyk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Ethan Bentley said:
Ah remind me to give you my recipe, not sure how it will compared but the lst batch seemed popular, as in when I returned from getting someone a drink to have a glass my guests had drunk it all.
Oh, yes, please share :D

Boodles

A-List Customer
Leaking cork?

St.Ignatz said:
I've found with an older bottle of Poli Grappa that the cork was not very tight fitting. It was originally sealed with a small bit of fitted plastic wrap like material to tighten it up. The bottles are very delicate hand blown so I assume they were concerned with cracking the neck when uncorking. I made the mistake of removing the wrap and after a couple years the alcohol must have evaporated to the point that this fantastic nectar was reduced to a watery tasting liquid in a beautiful bottle. Nonino uses the same method of sealing the cork. An expensive lesson learned. Maybe that was a factor with your EJ.
TomD.
I did actually entertain the idea that my woe with Elijah Craig might be due to a leaking cork but that was before I went through maybe 20 semi-skunky bottles, all with the cork held in place with the plastic seal. In addition, at some point, I began to turn the bottles upside down (once I got them home) to check for seepage. Zip. An additional wrinkle is that I have found one or two bottles in a case of 6 which were skunky. I have every reason to think these bottles were corked on the same day and so probably from the same batch. I'm still thinking that the cork is somehow to blame. I hate corked whiskey. It's a gimmick.

AtomicEraTom said:
LOVE the motion sign. I've wanted one of these for years! I am a brewery collector but usually just collect 1940s and prior, but Hamm's had some great 50's-70's items, with the Hamm's Bear (Have a neon Hamm's Bear Clock) and the motion signs "From the Land of Sky Blue Waters, comes the beer refreshing" Not to mention I have a couple of them in me tonite again :)

Yes, this was quite a find for me. I actually got it for about $20. I couldn't say no. ;) This was my nod to one that I remember at a mexican restaurant when I was a child. I could sit and watch that thing all day. I should go back to that place and see if they still have it. Maybe they might want to sell it. :D
I actually usually collect only Falstaff signs. It all started with one my grandfather had and it got wayyyyy beyond that:
Bar.jpg

This is before I started adding. :D

rumblefish said:
Looks like a place I'd pull a chair up to.:D
I might even let you make a choice for me,,, ;) :p

The walls are now covered with Falstaff and such signs. I also have three bamboo bar stools coming soon.
The bottle on the far right is just what you want. An original 1964 bottling of George Dickel. I would strain the contents before drinking though. ;) :p
A better choice would likely be a White Cosmopolitan shaken with white tea cracked ice. Maybe a Corpse Reviver or Red Death?
There is no Cynar or Campari behind the bar so.......

Corpse Reviver
•2 oz apple brandy
•3/4 oz brandy
•1/2 oz sweet vermouth

Red Death
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz peach liqueur or Torani syrup
1/2 oz amaretto
1/2 oz cointreau or grand marnier
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz orange juice

You should read the books on the Lemp Family and the Lemp Mansion. There is a lot of interesting history behind that family and there is a lot of very interesting pre-prohibiton victorian advertising out there on a Lemp Brewery site, I will see if I can find it if you are interested.

jamespowers said:
The walls are now covered with Falstaff and such signs.

AtomicEraTom said:
You should read the books on the Lemp Family and the Lemp Mansion. There is a lot of interesting history behind that family and there is a lot of very interesting pre-prohibiton victorian advertising out there on a Lemp Brewery site, I will see if I can find it if you are interested.

Ah yes Lemp. That was the previous incarnation of Falstaff. You know your stuff about breweriana.
I would love to see the site if you have it handy. :D

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Medvssa said:
A bit too much Limoncello at a party lol

I can assure you that there is no such thing as too much Limoncello!
(I'm like the crash test dummy for that stuff)

I've never made it myself, but if you can get that 100% Alcool stuff where you are, I'm assured it's easy to do, and a worthwhile passtime.

As for me last night & tonight - DALES GINGER WINE - if you are in England and shop in Lidl then try it - the gingeriest (is that a word?) ginger wine I've ever had. Knocks the spots off Stone's.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Stone's ginger wine - ugh. No, I didn't drink it last night (thank God!), but a couple years ago I picked up at bottle at the local shop, full of anticipation as I adore ginger, and can't get enough of it. The Stone's though, was horrible, thick, sweet, syrupy. Is it really a mixer mislabeled as a wine?

Speaking of flavors, does anyone know about the availability and/or reintroduction of a violet liqueur?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot