Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Methuselah said:
As for me last night & tonight - DALES GINGER WINE - if you are in England and shop in Lidl then try it - the gingeriest (is that a word?) ginger wine I've ever had. Knocks the spots off Stone's.

Good tip, I'm near a Lidl as it so happens. There seems to be a Reserve Stones Wine - not that I've tried it.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
ThesFlishThngs said:
Speaking of flavors, does anyone know about the availability and/or reintroduction of a violet liqueur?
Some few companies that make Creme de Violette.
Monin (who also do a non-alcoholic syrup).

5397.jpg
Briottet
Boudier
The Bitter Truth
- this pretty good.

Image1.jpg

Parfait Amour is similar, a violet liqueur made by;
Giffard,
Lejay-Lagoute,
Carton
and others.

Creme de Yvette, is a true vintage spirit and has just started to be reproduced by creators of the St. Germain Liqueur. I believe it has a slightly different character to Violette.
yvette.jpg

I'm not sure if it is on sale yet, Absinthe_1900 would probably know. :)

Medvssa

One of the Regulars
Methuselah said:
I can assure you that there is no such thing as too much Limoncello!
(I'm like the crash test dummy for that stuff)

I've never made it myself, but if you can get that 100% Alcool stuff where you are, I'm assured it's easy to do, and a worthwhile passtime.

I wasn't even drunk, just a bit tipsy :eek: I just don't drink to get drunk [huh]

I can get 98% alcohol here. Making flavoured genevers is a passtime of many people around here. I've made my own "bitters" (tinctures actually) with it.
Looks like Limoncello is next :p

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Medvssa said:
I wasn't even drunk, just a bit tipsy :eek: I just don't drink to get drunk [huh]

I can get 98% alcohol here. Making flavoured genevers is a passtime of many people around here. I've made my own "bitters" (tinctures actually) with it.
Looks like Limoncello is next :p

Excellent! I fancy making my own tonic water.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Last night, I drank 2009 Thomas H Handy rye, neat. I must say, I LOVED the first edition Handy (and liked the 2nd), but I haven't warmed up to this year's edition. [huh]

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
Creme de Yvette, is a true vintage spirit and has just started to be reproduced by creators of the St. Germain Liqueur. I believe it has a slightly different character to Violette.

I'm not sure if it is on sale yet, Absinthe_1900 would probably know. :)

Around the first of the year, or so, from what I heard.

A little birdie told me something I'm waiting for, get's bottled in a couple of days at Buffalo Trace. ;) It's been resting per some old New Orleans instructions

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
Around the first of the year, or so, from what I heard.

A little birdie told me something I'm waiting for, get's bottled in a couple of days at Buffalo Trace. ;) It's been resting per some old New Orleans instructions

Ah I could imagine you would be looking forward to that. I hope it lives up to your expectations. :)
I must say that I really enjoyed the Pimento Dram I had recently, hopefully the first tasting of many spirits brought back from extinction.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I'll share the details when it's time to hit the shelves.

There will be a nice article in Imbibe Magazine for the March 2010 issue, it's rumored a crazed internet figure was interviewed about this project, of reviving a vintage New Orleans spirit.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
13628_cat_size.jpeg

"Yes. Yes! I did buy it because of the cute label, I guess I must be a Marketing Manager/Graphic Designers Dream!

Crittenden Estate Pinocchio 2008 Arneis

Fruit

Sourced from three vineyards, the majority under contract, 47% from the King Valley, 45% from the Yarra Valley and 8% from our own vineyards at Dromana.

Harvest

All portions of our Arneis were hand harvested on the following dates and with the following analysis:

King Valley: 2 March 2008 Be 12.0, pH 3.11, TA 7.1

Yarra Valley: 14 March 2008 Be 12.75, pH 3.13, TA 6.2

Mornington Peninsula: 19 March Be 13.2, pH 3.20, TA 7.35

Winemaking

Post harvest the grapes were transported to the winery where they were whole bunched pressed in an airbag press. The juice is settled without enzymes for 24 hours then the clears racked to temperature controlled stainless steel tanks. Fermentation was limited to the moderate temperature of 16 degrees Celcius and took 19 days to achieve dryness. The fermented wine then spent some time in tank on lees to impart texture. There is no wood ageing or malolactic ferment. After three months the wine was filtered ready for bottling.

Bottling

Late July 2008. Sealed under screw cap.

Technical information

Alc. Vol.12.5%

Residual sugar: .34 gms per litre (dry)

Ph: 3.05

Total acidity: 6.8 grams per litre

Tasting notes

True to the Piedmontese style this wine shows characters of pear juice and fresh apples on the nose, with a mouth filling palate of juicy acidity and a crunchy dry finish. The perfect accompaniment to freshly shucked oysters. although I had it with a chicken salad with a Honey Soy dressing

Cellaring

As with all Arneis this wine is best enjoyed in its youth.

At over $25.00 (AU) I thought it frightfully overpriced but that's four colour printing for you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot