Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Boodles

A-List Customer
For my Vesper I have settled on

2 gin
1 vodka
1/4 Lillet Blanc.

For the gin I often use Boodles, or Tanqueray, Bombay, even Plymouth. I stick with brands with a bit higher octane rating. Apparently the gin used in Mr. Flemming's stories would have been 90 proof or more in those days. The vodka is often Ketel One. Other decent brands do just about as well. I have not tried adding bitters to the Lillet but I'd like to try that. Are you using Angostura bitters or?

We had a couple Vespers late Sunday while watching Tim Clark come from behind to win The Players championship.

Zach R. said:
I took the advice of a Bond aficionado on another board, and use Tanqueray (94 proof) instead of Gordons (80 proof) and Stoli 100. Also, I add a dash of bitters to the Lillet Blanc to add a quinine taste to approximate the original Kina Lillet better.

rikrdo

A-List Customer
Wally_Hood said:
As a recent discoverer of Lillet, please, kind sir, what is the name of your drink, and what are the proportions? It sounds much like a Manhattan...

Oh......yes. Very much like a Manhattan, it is.

I really dont know of a name for it but I use 3:2 / Lillet to Rye as the ratio.
The only really great "Sweet" vermouth I have ever had (Carpano Antica) is so difficult to find, that my quest is to now find substitutions for that great product.
Not to shabby, if I do say so meself ;)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
rikrdo said:

The only really great "Sweet" vermouth I have ever had (Carpano Antica) is so difficult to find, that my quest is to now find substitutions for that great product.

Ahhh, thank you, good sir...

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Boodles said:
2 gin
1 vodka
1/4 Lillet Blanc.

For the gin I often use Boodles, or Tanqueray, Bombay, even Plymouth. I stick with brands with a bit higher octane rating. Apparently the gin used in Mr. Flemming's stories would have been 90 proof or more in those days. The vodka is often Ketel One. Other decent brands do just about as well. I have not tried adding bitters to the Lillet but I'd like to try that. Are you using Angostura bitters or?

We had a couple Vespers late Sunday while watching Tim Clark come from behind to win The Players championship.

The Boodles is quite suitable as I believe this was the gin of choice at Ian Fleming's London Club, Boodles.

Boodles is my very favourite Gin.

Boodles

A-List Customer
Boodles, "the gin of choice at Ian..."

Most excellent. I feel even better about having pirated the name to use on this forum. I enjoy Boodles as well. My favorite way to empty the bottle is via martinis, just Boodles and a (very little) bit of Lillet. Unfortunately, my state owned liquor stores have dropped Boodles from inventory except on special order so I am forced to purchase it in South Carolina. Mother of all drats.

Thanks, Mr. Bentley, for the bit of news.

Ethan Bentley said:
The Boodles is quite suitable as I believe this was the gin of choice at Ian Fleming's London Club, Boodles.

Boodles is my very favourite Gin.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
WH1 said:
Hendricks Gin & Tonic with a slice of cucumber (a double), on a warm southern evening on the back porch there is nothing better.

Hendrick's G and T anywhere, anytime, is outstanding. However, enjoying it in your own cozy environs, is, as Duke Ellington once observed, "beyond category."

Boodles

A-List Customer
Most interesting

Thanks Mr. Bentley. Much of what I have been doing thinking it was an accurate attempt at copying Flemming's formula clearly does not follow the details quoted from the book. I should have looked this up long ago. I also had no idea that this drink was, in the end, anything other than clear. Also, I had not thought through the idea that adding Angostura to Lillet Blanc might produce a pink gin looking drink.

Thanks to your, sir, I have much experimenting to do.

Ethan Bentley said:
Your most welcome, this post on the Vesper may be of interest to you, it looks at trying to make a more authentic Vesper.

http://cocktailsfortwo.co.uk/

rlandrews3rd

New in Town
rikrdo said:

I was looking for Carpano Antica in Austin and could not locate it. The folks at a local store suggested Martini and Rossi, and I found it makes an adequate substitute. I found a drink at a local restaurant the other night, that they call "We've been Rumbled" and wanted to try it at home. It's 1.5 ozs of Balcones Rumble, 1 oz Carpano Antica (or Martini & Rossi substitute), .5 oz honey syrup (like simple syrup but 2 honey to 1 water) 1 barspoon White Balsamic Vinegar, 2 dashes citrus bitters (I use Angostura). Stir with ice, strain, and serve in chilled cocktail glass (I use martini glasses). Good stuff!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto