Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
1961MJS said:
Hi

Assuming you made the drink yourself, that's very odd. Gin isn't sweet, tonic isn't sweet, it's got a kind of sour metallic taste, and the lime well, you're have a lime before. It's supposed to be sour and tart though.

If a bartender made if for you, maybe you got rum and tonic, or he dumped a bit of sugar in it. [huh]

The only cure is to drink a few more of them as a test... Gin and Tonic's don't have as forceful flavor as say a Mojito, or a Single Malt Scotch, maybe it just wasn't as tart and sour as you EXPECTED?

Later

It was at a bar, but I can guarantee that there was nothing but gin, tonic, and a lemon slice. The gin itself, when I tasted it, since the bartender just poured the gin on some ice, and gave me a little bottle of tonic, was a bit sweet on its own. Maybe I have a warped sense of taste from drinking so much black coffee (caffe amaro here). Who knows, maybe I will try whiskey and soda instead, in homage to the Peabody-Emersons. Although, once I come back to the States, I am going to have to wait a couple months for this experiment.

SteveAS

Practically Family
As an aperitif, my girlfriend and I shared some brut rose Prosecco. We bought it on sale at Whole Foods; it turned out to be light and bland. I made up for it after dinner with a little Thomas Handy rye, which never disappoints.

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
1961MJS said:
Hi

Assuming you made the drink yourself, that's very odd. Gin isn't sweet, tonic isn't sweet, it's got a kind of sour metallic taste, and the lime well, you're have a lime before. It's supposed to be sour and tart though.

If a bartender made if for you, maybe you got rum and tonic, or he dumped a bit of sugar in it. [huh]

The only cure is to drink a few more of them as a test... Gin and Tonic's don't have as forceful flavor as say a Mojito, or a Single Malt Scotch, maybe it just wasn't as tart and sour as you EXPECTED?

Later

Actually tonic tastes pretty sweet to my palate and, indeed, most tonic waters have as much sugar as an equivalent amount of soda pop.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Unca Dusty said:
Actually tonic tastes pretty sweet to my palate and, indeed, most tonic waters have as much sugar as an equivalent amount of soda pop.

That is probably it. Next time maybe a dry martini instead. That will probably be in November though.

Cricket

Practically Family
Since one of my friends and I are expecting, we decided to throw together some virgin cocktails last night. We made virgin manhattens. In a shaker, we poured over ice 1/4 cup of orange juice, 1/4 cup of cranberry juice, 1/2 tsp of cherry juice, and 1/4 tsp of lemon juice. Shake and strain, garnish with a cherry.

Very tasty and ok for the babies. :)

swinggal

One Too Many
Cricket said:
Since one of my friends and I are expecting, we decided to throw together some virgin cocktails last night. We made virgin manhattens. In a shaker, we poured over ice 1/4 cup of orange juice, 1/4 cup of cranberry juice, 1/2 tsp of cherry juice, and 1/4 tsp of lemon juice. Shake and strain, garnish with a cherry.

Very tasty and ok for the babies. :)

Yum!! Sounds delicious! I am currently drinking a non-alcholic hot toddy that I make when it's cold - which it is! Friends in Switzerland made it for me years ago. I boil up 100% apple juice, cloves and cinnamon scrolls. Sooooodelicious and warming on a cold night. If you want to make it for a bunch of people;

- 1 litre 100% Apple juice
- 1 small packet of cloves (use less if you don't like them)
- 3 cinnamon scrolls

Boil it all up in a pot on the stove for 30 mins to release all the flavours and serve in mugs. I usually pop some cloves from the pot into my cup for extra flavour ;) Leave the stove on a low flame to release more flavour for later. I always dry out the cinnamon scrolls and use them again as they are full of flavour.

Panache

A-List Customer
G & T with Hendrick's gin, Canada Dry tonic water, a slice of cucumber, and a twist of lime

Very refreshing and I like Hendrick's (I had never tried it before)

Cheers

Jamie

Unca Dusty

Familiar Face
Surly Bitter Brewer

Bitter Brewer beer (local stuff) served on tap at Ngon's Vietnamese Bistro in Frogtown. Excellent beverage, went well with the way I like my pho (a little on the spicy side).

Donna/Dante

New in Town
Last night, shared a bottle of Bordeaux Rose with a friend.

Today, a makeup of Hendrick's Gin with sparkling waters, mint & lime, yes, together. It's quite refreshing, specially on hot, humid, Virginia summer days.

-d

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Panache said:
G & T with Hendrick's gin, Canada Dry tonic water, a slice of cucumber, and a twist of lime

Very refreshing and I like Hendrick's (I had never tried it before)

Cheers

Jamie

Hendrick's G and T is the tall summer drink of choice for Hoods named Wally. Excellent choice, Mr. P.

rumblefish

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Where the heck did you find that?! You must have beat a chocolatier to that one. They love to use that in chocolate making. It was originally used for punch though so you are more in line with the original intent.
What other exotic ingredients are in that punch? Don't tell me artichoke. :p
http://www.drinkupny.com/- Don't wipe out my supply! ;)

5 parts Arrack
4 parts brewed black tea
3 parts fresh lime juice
2 part demerara sugar (syrup)
and a wee bit of fresh ground nutmeg.:)
Nice,,,
In this case we only eat, not drink, the artichokes.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24