Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Ad Hoc Tropical

Yesterday I picked up a bottle of Torani passion fruit syrup and a bottle of DeKuyper orange curacao off the free table at work. (The free table is a longstanding tradition at my company. Everything from junk to treasure, first come, first served.)

When I got home, I couldn't make up my mind what to make, so I decided to improvise. A couple ounces of Bacardi Gold, about an ounce of pineapple juice, a half ounce or so of the curacao, and a splash of passion fruit. Shake it up with cracked ice... too sweet. A little lime juice. Better, but still too sweet and the lime is threatening to take over. Drank it anyway so as not to waste.

Any suggestions for drinks with passion fruit syrup or orange curacao? (For perspective, Cointreau is usually my orange component and I prefer fresh juices over mix.)

Yesterday I picked up a bottle of Torani passion fruit syrup and a bottle of DeKuyper orange curacao off the free table at work. (The free table is a longstanding tradition at my company. Everything from junk to treasure, first come, first served.)

When I got home, I couldn't make up my mind what to make, so I decided to improvise. A couple ounces of Bacardi Gold, about an ounce of pineapple juice, a half ounce or so of the curacao, and a splash of passion fruit. Shake it up with cracked ice... too sweet. A little lime juice. Better, but still too sweet and the lime is threatening to take over. Drank it anyway so as not to waste.

Any suggestions for drinks with passion fruit syrup or orange curacao? (For perspective, Cointreau is usually my orange component and I prefer fresh juices over mix.)
Sounds like you have the makings of a Tiki drink there. Off the top of my head, I would say to try 2 ounces rum, One ounce passion fruit, one ounce curacao, 1/2 ounce lime juice and a couple dashes of Angostura bitters. I think you would have your balance of strong, sweet and sour that way. I think I'll try that too. If it is good we can call it The Power Punch. :p

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Sounds like you have the makings of a Tiki drink there. Off the top of my head, I would say to try 2 ounces rum, One ounce passion fruit, one ounce curacao, 1/2 ounce lime juice and a couple dashes of Angostura bitters. I think you would have your balance of strong, sweet and sour that way. I think I'll try that too. If it is good we can call it The Power Punch. :p

Okay, that works. This time I went for the Bacardi Superior rather than the Gold for no particular reason. I went about three shakes on the bitters; two as you recommended would have been enough, I think. Just enough ice in the shaker to match the volume of liquid and about five or six tosses of the shaker about shoulder height. Strained into a highball glass 'cause they were in arm's reach.

The passion fruit really gives that Island Paradise element. The sweet and sour are balanced as they should be for any cocktail, tiki or no.

The Power Punch is going into my bar book. Just as soon as I mix up another.

Okay, that works. This time I went for the Bacardi Superior rather than the Gold for no particular reason. I went about three shakes on the bitters; two as you recommended would have been enough, I think. Just enough ice in the shaker to match the volume of liquid and about five or six tosses of the shaker about shoulder height. Strained into a highball glass 'cause they were in arm's reach.

The passion fruit really gives that Island Paradise element. The sweet and sour are balanced as they should be for any cocktail, tiki or no.

The Power Punch is going into my bar book. Just as soon as I mix up another.
Good to hear. I am glad I got close enough to nailing it. :p Now I have to try it myself. :p

I remember Pabst and Falstaff as being very popular here in Indiana mid'60s through mid'70s. I drank Ribbon on occasion..but Falstaff was one of the worst beers I had ever tasted..especially on tap. Yuck

HD

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
....And now they have a beer flavored water called Bud Light and one named Keystone.
:D
Yeah, never enjoyed those even when it was the only thing at a party.
Anything red or dark was my choice, even as odd as Beck's Dark (it was the only choice I had at a bar).

Off the medication so back on the wine...
Tonight it's Crios (from Argentina) Syrah/Bonarda.
Never had it before so it's a welcomed change.

Last edited:

m0nk

One Too Many
Haven't been on here much lately but I've certainly had a good share of drinks lately. Last nights drink of choice was a Manhatten made with Bulleit rye.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21