Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Cricket

Practically Family
After touring the Biltmore Estate while on vacation, we were inspired after our trip to the winery for some good wine and delicious treat. Not as fancy as the Vanderbilts, but we did enjoy some TV on the floor of the hotel with a bottle of Biltmore Limited Release Tempranillo and a few pieces of Toblerone Swiss dark chocolate. Wonderful but I had to slow down on the sweets...so rich but mouthwatering.

SteveAS

Practically Family
I went to a blind gin tasting last night. Of the six gins we tasted, my first choice was Junipero, which has long been one of my favorites, followed by North Shore No. 11, which I'd never had before. They're both heavy on juniper and delicious.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
SteveAS said:
I went to a blind gin tasting last night. Of the six gins we tasted, my first choice was Junipero, which has long been one of my favorites, followed by North Shore No. 11, which I'd never had before. They're both heavy on juniper and delicious.

Welcome to the Lounge.
Sounds like a great little event was it a bar or something less formal?
What were the other Gins you had?

I too am a big fan of Junipero, lovely really.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Ethan Bentley said:
Welcome to the Lounge.

Thank-you.

Ethan Bentley said:
Sounds like a great little event was it a bar or something less formal?
What were the other Gins you had?

It was an event at a bar, but it was in a private room, sponsored by a local liquor store. I didn't take good notes and I forget one of the gins, but off the top of my head, 6 of the 7 gins were:

Old Tom (quite good flavor-wise, but a bit sweet for my tastes)
Plymouth (good, but light and generally unremarkable, if I remember right)
Anchor's Junipero (full flavored and my overall favorite)
Anchor's Genever (also too sweet for my tastes)
Old World's Blade (I don't know whether it was the glass or the gin, but it had a fishy/ashy taste that completely put me off)
North Shore No. 11 (rich and full flavored; the only thing I didn't like was a pronounced grapefruit note on its long finish; my second favorite)

SteveAS said:
It was an event at a bar, but it was in a private room, sponsored by a local liquor store. I didn't take good notes and I forget one of the gins, but off the top of my head, 6 of the 7 gins were:

Old Tom (quite good flavor-wise, but a bit sweet for my tastes)
Plymouth (good, but light and generally unremarkable, if I remember right)
Anchor's Junipero (full flavored and my overall favorite)
Anchor's Genever (also too sweet for my tastes)
Old World's Blade (I don't know whether it was the glass or the gin, but it had a fishy/ashy taste that completely put me off)
North Shore No. 11 (rich and full flavored; the only thing I didn't like was a pronounced grapefruit note on its long finish; my second favorite)

I like the Junipero a lot and also Ten from Tanqueray.

SteveAS

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
I like the Junipero a lot and also Ten from Tanqueray.

If you like them, I'd guess you'd also like the North Shore 11. It is big, like Junipero, with some of the grapefruit flavor of Ten.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
While enjoying dinner on the patio as the day strolled lazily towards sunset, a Lillet cocktail for Mrs. H, and mojito for myself. Coincidentally, someone earlier in the thread mentioned gumbo, a small bowl of which was part of my own dinner.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Just had a Jameson Pickle Back, interesting and not 100% awful on reflection.

Junipero is excellent their Genever is quite good too.

I've not yet had North Shore or Old World's Blade but there are a few new ones available in London and I found a couple of new minis in the attic today :)

Zanzibarstar

One of the Regulars
Made myself the perfect whiskey sour last night.
2 oz Makers Mark
3/4 oz Grand Marnier
Juice of 1 lemon
3/4 tsp sugar
Stir till sugar dissolves, shake with ice, and ENJOY!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner