Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Do They All Think Of Your Vintage?

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Never had any comments about my leather jackets, but every now and then while wearing a peacoat, I will get a comment such as, "Where is your ship, Captain?" My standard answer is a haughty, "It isn't a ship, it's a boat, a submarine, and it is in the Cumberland River awaiting my return." That usually terminates the conversation.

Being a former submariner, I find snappy comeback quite clever.

For circumstances such as these I coined the phrase many years ago: “If you can’t say it with flowers, you can likely say it with sarcasm.”

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Since I'm already here...

My beloved likes my vintage style clothes. In fact when I was first courting her, I turned up at her home for dinner one night dressed to the nines, Coke hat (AKA Bowler), waistcoat, pocket watch & chain, dress jacket, silk scarf, oatmeal coloured Harris Tweed topcoat that was my late grandfather’s from the late 1940’s or early 1950’s. She opened the door the door and said that I looked very “very dashing.” I asked if she would be seen in public with me dressed this way. She answered, “Why Not?” And she has never gone back on that. Others have either complemented, or mocked, but I’ve always been willing to march to a different drum from the time I was young, and am hardly going to stop now. And as for the mockers, I’ve found they rarely have room to talk concerning their personal sartorial choices.

Benproof

A-List Customer
You mean, the pretty model needs a potbelly to fit that tablecloth jacket?

Well about what others think. I'm sure they think I'm a d*ck who had a rich grandfather ;)

Well maybe that's the younger generation who just think anything that isn't trendy right now is old. I prefer pocket watches on chains like Auld Edwardian. I had one since I was 16 which still works, unlike the silly wrist watches which always cracked or scratched when carrying luggage. Newsboys caps also - ever remember getting a bad haircut? That's when they came in handy. Although you could argue, that 'bald' is not really a haircut hmm.
I suppose I like the practical functional aspect of vintage clothing .. like wearing suspending braces, instead of having 3 different trouser widths to think about depending on whether dinnertime is near.

Equally, the quality aspect of vintage engineered clothing, like melton wool, water and rain resistant ventiles; warm harris tweeds, cool Irish linen and traditional flannels which don't disintegrate in the wash and last for years as old favourites should.

I went through most of her auctions. I mean, she even punked up her makeup for the Vintage Motorcycle Jacket. What's there not to instantly and deeply fall in love with? <3

It's not such a bad looking jacket...

On the subject at hand, while I really am into vintage, sadly, I no longer dress so.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I went through most of her auctions. I mean, she even punked up her makeup for the Vintage Motorcycle Jacket. What's there not to instantly and deeply fall in love with? <3

It's not such a bad looking jacket...

On the subject at hand, while I really am into vintage, sadly, I no longer dress so.

No, it isn't a WWII jacket as advertised and the whole thing is a disaster.:eek:

Hal

Practically Family
I suppose I like the practical functional aspect of vintage clothing .. like wearing suspending braces, instead of having 3 different trouser widths to think about depending on whether dinnertime is near.
Equally, the quality aspect of vintage engineered clothing, like melton wool, water and rain resistant ventiles; warm harris tweeds, cool Irish linen and traditional flannels which don't disintegrate in the wash and last for years as old favourites should.
Though I strongly disagree with you with respect to sports-jacket-and-jeans, I'm with you all the way in what you say here!

Benproof

A-List Customer
Though I strongly disagree with you with respect to sports-jacket-and-jeans, I'm with you all the way in what you say here!

That's because it's highly possible that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to sports jackets and jeans :D

When my tweed jacket comes and people start saying my vintage looks like Mr Bean, they will say I look like a mean bean wearing jeans.

Actually tweed and jeans make me think the combination is fairly modern (not into shiny Adidas blue and white shellsuits - wayyy too modern. ) I wear artists smocks in my lounge time, but maybe thats not vintage I'm getting commented on. More like "what are you doing wearing a maternity gown for a baby hippopotamus?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters