1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

What do you do on wash day?

Discussion in 'Beauty' started by swanson_eyes, Nov 3, 2018.

1. swanson_eyes

swanson_eyes Practically Family

I mean hair washing day. I don't heat style at all because I don't want damage (trying to get to ridiculous length). Therefore, it must air dry and that takes 6 hours with it down. I've tried washing at night but it doesn't dry because I have to braid it, else it tangles. So I guess on wash day I just don't get to have vintage hair. I look like a hippie. Fortunately wash day is Saturday, but still. What do you all do?

2. AnyaLynn

AnyaLynn New in Town

It depends on the day! If I've got the energy to go full out vintage, I'll shower in the evening and keep it in pin curls over night. I don't work mornings, just afternoon/evenings so there is enough time to shake it out and let it dry a little more before working.

If it's a lazy day, I'll wash it right after I drop the kid off at school. It takes 4 hours to dry, if I just let it hang about in the air. It's usually just the slightest bit damp when I go to pick the kid back up. Then I'll just poof the front and comb the sides back, in a way that would look vintage if you squint.

How long is your hair now, Swanson?

3. tarotcat

tarotcat New in Town

Wash day can be a process lol
    1. Shampoo hair in sink
    2. Put on deep conditioner, walk around with a slimy head for a bit
    3. Shower, wrap head in towel for 20-30 minutes
    4. Roll Hair, with interruptions this *will* take an hour
    5. Wrap hair in scarf rosie style, go about day. Take hair down the next morning.

4. swanson_eyes

[​IMG]
    I like 20s/30s fashion but my hair is Victorian. :/

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  5. AnyaLynn

AnyaLynn New in Town

Your hair is gorgeous. Definitely Victorian or Edwardian though. How long are you going to grow it?

6. swanson_eyes

Thank you! I dream of knee length but I wonder how long it'll be before I can't handle it anymore.

7. AnyaLynn

AnyaLynn New in Town

That's the rub, isn't it? Longer hair takes so much extra care.

8. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I do mine on Tuesday or Wednesday, which are nights when I don't have to work and can be home at a reasonable hour. I dry in a towel for about an hour after watching -- I lie in bed listening to the radio and reading a book to let the towel soak up as much wet as possible. Then I comb it out, pincurl, put a wavenet over that, and a "slumber cap" over everything. (I tend to grind my head hard into the pillow at night if/when a headache hits, and unless everything's covered up it ends up a matted mess in the morning.)

I usually just comb out the front of my hair in the morning to make my roll, and tie a headscarf over everything else. It keeps my hair out of the way at work, and people have come to expect it. If I need to do something where a headscarf would be declasse, I can comb out the pincurls.

9. swanson_eyes

I find the actual hair care is easier because I wash less often and use less product since I'm not trying to have perfect curls. I practice what some forum-mates call "benign neglect" wherein I generally brush them out and wear it up in some way most of the time.
    I supposed I should wash at night and then pin curl the front bits and braid the back before bed. At least that way it would have waves/curls at front. I guess I could run a cool dryer over it in the morning to get the excess moisture out. (It will not dry overnight in a braid).
    Tonight before I went shopping I curled the front with my steam curlers and then bunned the length in back. It looked fairly '30s. I never seem to be up early enough to do that so doing it at night would be better.

MissMittens and LizzieMaine like this.
  10. AnyaLynn

AnyaLynn New in Town

Lizzie, I never would have thought of using a wavenet. It seems so obvious in hindsight! What sleep cap do you use? I've been looking for a good one.

Swanson, front curls and braiding the back is exactly what I did when I had longer hair. I completely forgot until you said it. Benign neglect sounds like what I do on my non vinatge days, haha.

11. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I just get the cheap Goody sleep caps from the rack at the grocery store -- one will last me about three months before the elastic is worn out. They're made of a light eyelet lace and don't steam up your head in the summer like the thicker satin ones will.