Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what do you guys think of this 1940,s tweed suit i won?

I was under the (perhaps ill-informed) impression that "sack" referred to a completely untailored jacket. So the darts would make this not a sack jacket.

[huh] [huh] [huh] [huh] [huh]

for the newer members, though these arguments occur rarely, they are very specific (almost worthy of the London Lounge) and long lasting. I, for one, am itching to argue about "drape" again ...

bk

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Baron Kurtz said:
I was under the (perhaps ill-informed) impression that "sack" referred to a completely untailored jacket.

Well, they surely started off that way ... back in the 1860s and '70s. But somewhere in the 1930s, some sack suits began to appear with long, shallow darts. Not to give the jacket an hourglass shape, but to make it slightly less boxy. Did all sack suits adopt these darts? No; the most conservative men --i.e., Herbert Hoover-- continued to have their suits made without darts. (There are always exceptions to every rule.) The question is, were these new suits still "sack suits"? Essentially, they were. The shoulders were still natural; the trousers were still straight-legged and without pleats; there were still three buttons in the front, with the lapel (typically) rolled down to the middle button. The only difference was the presence of darts.

If you prefer, call them something else. To me, at least, they're 'modified' sack suits. I'll post photos soon, comparing the old and new versions.

More info on sack suits here: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=63534&postcount=50

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL