Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of gold and diamond watches for men?

Foxer55

A-List Customer
Edward,

Certainly. Market value is rarely (if ever) based on utilitarianism alone.

[...]

Precisely.

Rolex and Timex are both value watches, just on a far different scale. The Rolex will appreciate at a much greater rate than the Timex, though. There is, however, one thing Timex and other watches don't have...

Rolex Worn by American CIA Agent in Afghanistan: Rough, Rugged, & As Good As Gold

"This Rolex was his wrist companion during his mission abroad for a few reasons; Rolex is known for being very accurate (this model is a Superlative Chronometer), durable (famous Oyster case), and above all else, a Rolex is as good as gold, no matter what country you're in. If you get into a sticky situation and someone is demanding some your head or some liquid assets, you can slide this stainless steel beauty right of your wrist and hopefully escape to fight another day."

http://www.hodinkee.com/blog/2009/1...an-cia-agent-in-afghanistan-rough-rugged.html

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
a Rolex is as good as gold, no matter what country you're in. If you get into a sticky situation and someone is demanding some your head or some liquid assets, you can slide this stainless steel beauty right of your wrist and hopefully escape to fight another day."
Yep, no question about it, Rolex attracts the attention of thieves and robbers worldwide. So, if you want to meet strangers of questionable character in a foreign country........;)

Edward

Bartender
Heh, yes. Part of me has always hoped that one day some lowlife will demand my "Rolex", which I will hand over and smile to myself thinking of the response they get in whichever dodgy pawnshop they attempt to fence it. lol

kiwilrdg

A-List Customer
A Rolex is the best sport watch but a dress watch is needed for some occasions. If my other accessories are gold I like a small gold filled watch. If I am wearing silver accessories I use a slightly larger stainless cased watch, but it is always a thin one. I always use leather bands on my dress watches.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I don't wear watches anymore but I own a number. Rolex never much appealed to me - not only are they costly to service, they are for the most part chunky, unattractive designs to my eye. Some of the earlier ones (pre-1950) are okay, but other watches from that era I find nicer. I would never buy a watch/car or item of clothing because of it's ability to increase in value. I don't get my appreciation of quality or aesthetics form the generally crass marketplace.

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I tend to get more pleasure from a very good quality watch that not everyone recognizes. My dress watch (when not using my solid 14k gold Waltham Vanguard pocket watch) is a solid 14k gold 1937 Hamilton Cameron. The Hamilton is quite a small watch but as it's rectangular, or slightly barrel-shaped, it doesn't look as tiny as many 1930s watches. I really don't like the wall-clock sized modern watches and, like Edward, am not interested in fripperies on a watch. I want to be able to tell the time and that's it. To me, anything else on a dress watch looks tacky. Sports watches are a bit of a different game but I think it's easy to go overboard with features on them too.

Everyone to his own but I think that nothing looks classier than a small, thin, gold watch. It's also nice having a watch that's small enough it will easily slip underneath a shirt cuff. YMMV.

de Stokesay

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I'm with you de Stokesay. Large vulgar watches with lots of features are anathema, a simple small face framed by van understated case is best.

Edward

Bartender
I tend to get more pleasure from a very good quality watch that not everyone recognizes. My dress watch (when not using my solid 14k gold Waltham Vanguard pocket watch) is a solid 14k gold 1937 Hamilton Cameron. The Hamilton is quite a small watch but as it's rectangular, or slightly barrel-shaped, it doesn't look as tiny as many 1930s watches. I really don't like the wall-clock sized modern watches and, like Edward, am not interested in fripperies on a watch. I want to be able to tell the time and that's it. To me, anything else on a dress watch looks tacky. Sports watches are a bit of a different game but I think it's easy to go overboard with features on them too.

Everyone to his own but I think that nothing looks classier than a small, thin, gold watch. It's also nice having a watch that's small enough it will easily slip underneath a shirt cuff. YMMV.

de Stokesay

Yes, size is my other bugbear. I'm not always opposed - it can work for certain looks - but I am smallish in the wrist for my size, and a lot of these contemporary, dinner-plate sized watches look ridiculous on me. I've been eying up Hamiltons for a while. They're pricier than I have spent on a watch in the past, but still within the bounds of possibility. They have many models which fit my aesthetic and functional preferences. At present, I'm especially eyeing up the automatic versions of the Ventura. Not the big, XL type (too contemporary, loses the retro-futurist appeal of the originals IMO), but the Auto version. I'd love one with the brown face, and one with the black... In an ideal world, the gold colour too, but they only do that one with Quartz movement, which is a dealbreaker for me. I'm well aware that it was the first Quartz watch to market, which is part of the whole appeal of the auto version for me (bearing in mind that I'm probably better described as a dieselpunk than as someone who actually wants to live back when).

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I have small amounts of gold jewellery, either inherited, or gifted, and rarely, purchased. Cufflinks, a few rings, but that's it. Any other gold I have is in my fountain pens. All my pocketwatches are gold-filled.

No diamonds around here, except for in the ring I inherited from my grandmother.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn