Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think of this find?

Like those guys said.

If you like the stingy brims (your avatar indicates as much, and they are enjoying something of a renaissance among the younger bunch), you'll be quite pleased with it. I can't imagine a vintage shop letting it go for less than twice what you paid, and I'd bet it would fetch three or four times as much in a pricier district.

As Matt observed, it sure looks from the photos like it has Knox's version of the Cavanagh edge (Knox called it the "Custom" edge, or so it says on the examples I've encountered). In my book, that makes it considerably more desirable than your run-of-the-mill '60s vintage stingy brim.

And ... it's almost undoubtedly a well-made hat. That's certainly true of every Knox that has come my way. And while those are all a decade or more older than yours, I believe they were still making pretty good stuff when that one left the plant.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd say you got yourself a nice lid for $20 shipped. A Knox w/ that type of edge and the size isn't all that common. It should hold up well in those miserable Seattle rains too. You did well, and you're gonna be happy with it I'm sure of it. Be sure to post pics of it on your melon when it arrives. :D

Spellflower

Practically Family
:eusa_doh:
I'd ask the seller for a complete refund, including shipping costs. It's the least they can do to apologize for getting your hopes up and making you go to the post office.

AlanC

Disappointing, certainly. Might I suggest listing it in the Classifieds here? You're likely to at least get your money back out of it.

Desdinova721

New in Town
The size tag has become detached from the sweatband, although it was tucked on the inside. I'm hoping that it was just an honest mistake, but it does look like the tag is partially visible in the picture. I'm hoping they didn't notice the tag and they just suck at estimating size.

It's just a little dirty, but other than that it's in perfectly nice shape. It does indeed have a Cavanaugh edge.

I'll email them, but if anyone wants to make me an offer... I might be able to find a friend who's interested, also.

P.S. Would it be possible to stretch it out to 7 3/8?

AlanC

Alas, it's too small for me, but I would think the Cav edge ought to generate some interest in it here. A sale here could possibly be easier than a refund/ship back on ebay and it would put on the head of someone who appreciates it.

Still, it is frustrating, I know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran