Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you use to shave?

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Biltmore Bob said:
Very white...almost translucent.
Wow, that's a big change if you've had it for a while...just to stay on topic: What did you use? (A 9-iron?)

I dated a girl in college for several years...I met her clean-shaven, but immediately grew the 'stach and beard. After a year, I shaved...and she freaked. I didn't look like her boyfriend anymore, but she remembered that this is the guy she met...so she couldn't figure out which one of us she felt guilty for cheating on with the other. :p

Biltmore Bob

Suspended
Scissors first, then a beard trimmer, finally Barbosol and a Trac II.

It was about two and a half inches long. I was getting tired of eating it and tired of my wife saying "wipe your mouth", after every bite of food.

It was quite magnificent, sort of a Saddam Husein/Tom Selleck thing (I'll find a picture). I could not grow a proper moustache until I was well into my 30s. Now that I'm into my mid 40s it takes me only a month or so to get about an inch of growth. Beard is the same, grows like a proverbial weed.

Oh yes. So they could sell you the same thing over and over again whereas with the straight razor, you only bought it once and used it for the rest of your life.

Some people need to drive with anti-lock brake systems in their car because they don't know how to brake - my disks on the '66 suit me fine. What can you do?

I bought a new paring knife over the weekend and promptly cut my finger open in all of twenty minutes. This, despite my being around a knife and fork for some four decades. So I'll admit I'm not a 'tool' guy. This was proven to me in an aptitude test I took some years back. I had to move small pegs from one board to another. The first test was using only my fingers and I scored high. The second was with a tweezer and I scored very low. I had always wondered why I liked working with my hands but felt frustrated with tools, and within two minutes I had my question answered. Yeah, those blades are expensive, but my jugular is worth $104.00 a year to me.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
I use eiather the cheap two blade disposeable razors, or a waterproof electric. I shave with the electric in the shower. The shave is way closer than I could ever get with a manual, but it's very time consuming. I have to do it all by feel instead of by sight, because I can't wear my glasses in the shower. The manual blade I always use with the grain, and it always leaves stubble.

And it's a count-down until I get a well-trimmed Vincent Price moustache.

If you don't get any irritation a second or third pass will help. With grain, then against the grain, and finally across the grain. Some people can't do against so the should try across the grain.

John in Covina

indyjim

Familiar Face
I could never find an electric razor that shaved me close without SERIOUS razor burn. Gave up the electric many years ago and started with a badger hair brush
Williams soap and a Trac II. (Might have been something else before the Trac II, I don't recall how long they've been around.) Still use that same combo today and I'll bet that badger hair brush is going on 30 years old. There's nothing
like that hot lather on your face. I shave pretty fast, too. Of course there are a few places on my face I haven't shaved for a while. For trimming the beard
and lip caterpillar, I use a Conair electric hair clipper. Works great!

Steve27752

One of the Regulars
Currently, i use a Mach 3 disposeable razor, a Badger Brush and Shaving Cream. i have just bought a Merkur ` Classic ` razor, as the disposables are getting too expensive! And i want to shave in a more `Gentlemanly` way!
Steve :D

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member

Brand new 1941 Gillette double edged razor
-ebay $10

DSC03704-vi.jpg

No-name Israeli razor blades
-ebay $20 for 100 blades

Taylor of Old Bond Lavender Shaving Cream
-Classicshaving.com $11

Edwin Jagger "Best" badger hair brush
-Crabtree & Evelyn $35

I've started taking up the "Method Shave", as described by Paladin in this thread:
http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=1404

I used to have a serious problem with razor bumps and ingrown hairs while I was using a Mach 3 razor, so I only shaved every 3-4 days. The unveiling of Gillette's new 5 bladed monstrosity made me decide to start using a double edge because of how cheap the blades are. I have since learned that it is not only more economical to shave this way, but the bumps and ingrown hairs have disappeared as well. I feel like a new man, and I'm thinking about starting another separate thread just about it.

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
Incase you couldnt tell, I use a straight razor. :) A nice silver steel Thiers-Issard with a red stamina handle. 7/8". A basic badger brush and either Burma shave or Williams mug soap. I prefer Williams for the smell though. Lemony with a hint of fruit loops! I couldnt reccomend any other razor than a singing blade Thiers Issard. Simply the closest shave I've ever had. And I used to use the Mach III. And I'll never have to buy blades again. Ever. Get good at shaving with a straight razor, then let you girlfriend/wife watch you one morning. She will be in awe. :cool:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Nice Digs

I use a similar setup, Zohar, with the "method." working out very well. (just found that old thread)
I got the Merkur "1904" razor for my birthday last month and have been using it daily.

42.jpg

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
I also started to use a Braun activator. I find it medocre at best on the neck under my beard, prettygood on the cheeks and really good on my head. Sticing with it for ease of use & because i like to shave my head everyday.I do wish there was ablade good for all of these purposes, including being nick proof.

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
I used to use my Dad's old angle adjustable safety razor and soap and a brush...very golden era. It was great and I miss the experience sometimes but these days I'm sorry to say I use the omnipresent Mach III and yes, you guessed it...Edge gel !! Although I could see myself getting back into the "vintage shaving business" for pleasures sake, I don't ever see myself spending large sums of money for high-end shaving products. I just don't have the extra money to splurge for such sinful luxuries! I do like Bay Rum after shave, though. That's a classic man's man after shave. I read once where Frank Sinatra said he used witchazel for aftershave. Frank didn't hold with that sweet smelling perfumy after shave stuff for a guy...he said the ladies were supposed to smell good for the guys, for pete's sake:)

StraightRazor

Familiar Face
Thats exactly how I felt when I began the 'old school' shaving regimine. Is any razor really worth $140? Well, think about it for a second. A 4 pack of Mach III blades cost about $8. An 8 pack about $15. Considering that a single blade last about 6-7 shaves, depending on the coarsness of your beard, and taking into account whether you shave every day like I do, thats, hmmmmmm, around 4 blades a month at $96.00 a year. For 70 years thats $6,720. Not taking into account inflation. I'd say that buying one $140.00 razor that will last forever makes sense. Also, one cake of Williams shaving soap last about twice as long as a can of cream, and costs half as much. Together with the fact that there is something about shaving with a straight razor that drives, (my), woman wild, I'll never go back to a safety razor.

StraightRazor said:
Thats exactly how I felt when I began the 'old school' shaving regimine. Is any razor really worth $140?
The answer is yes, the amount of hand finishing that a straight razor gets can easily propell the price the hundrends even over a thousand bucks. Items like damascus steel blades folded like a samurai sword tend to come with a price tag. However, even the basic straight razor models made by the good folks at Theirs Issard, Dovo, Fromm and Giesen & Forstoff can be had in the $40-60 range. They have excellent blades and when honed and stropped will provide a superb shave. Don't want to spend that much? On ebay you can find vintage blades for $12-25 bucks that will clean up and take a great edge, if you're lucky you can hit the forums and find some one parting with part of their collection to purchase another razor, and if a hone meister had it then it will come "Shave Ready" and you are in for a treat.

When you get an understanding of the technique and a feel for a few blades you'll find there are design differences handling characteristics, and develope prefferences for styles and blade types, shapes and even metal content. Selecting golf clubs kinda comes close.

Stacked blades come with their own problems in that most guys don't rinse out the whiskers and gunk often enough while shaving. The average man's whiskers are the equivilent of COPPER WIRE of the same diameter. Just imagine what a tough beard is like. Anyway, the whiskers that are cut get wedged between the blades, and their cut end is sharp. So when the gunk is packed in between those stacked blades, it's like having a scrub brush made of sharp copper wires between the blades, try and figure what thats gotta feel like to your skin. Swipe and rinse! Keep it clear!

Also. the cheapest shave soap gves more protection than most areosol cans of shaving lather.ANd it gets better from there. Get a pure badger brush but NOT a WOOD handle! I like the Col. Conk soaps they are pretty slick. The shave creams in a tub or tube tend to be even more protective and the choice of fragrance is quite wide.

I shave with a straight unless i am in a rush, then its is a Merkur 70 double edge, which is very nice too! But the wetshave aspect of brush, mug and soap is what lays down the foundation of comfort and closeness with either straight or an slightly inferior product.

Happy shaving!

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
I think the mach 3 blades are ridiculously expensive, while shaving soap and safety razor blades are relatively inexpensive- one of the reasons I used to use them :) When I said I couldn't see myself buying high-end shaving stuff I was really referring to the balms, creams, and things of that sort. I still like a brush and soap and safety razor. Appeals to the traditionalist in me and it's cheaper.

ObscureRefMan

New in Town
My own shave ritual...
- Immediately after shower.
- A little lotion beforehand helps. Nothing special, just a decent hand lotion.
- Brush, mug, soap (Williams is good, but Red Earth has some nice scents).
- Gillette Mach 3.
- Shave WITH the grain. (For added closeness, lather and shave again AGAINST the grain).
- Rinse with COLD water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner